Chop saw.

la bala

I was given a Metabo chop saw by my son in law, virtually brand new. It came with a metal disc fitted and a box of metal cutting discs of a different make. Last weekend I tried to use it, well I just dont know whats wrong with it. I tried to cut some 50x50 box, It eventually wore its way through leaving a terrible cut with burrs. I tried the different make of discs with same outcome. I tried light, medium and heavy pressure on the handle, even the box section started to glow. Its no big deal as I have been out and bought myself an Evolution chop saw with a TCT blade, a proper chop saw. I would still be interested on your comments of what could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

its got to be the discs surley ?

I am scratching my head on this one Simon, I even went down our welding centre and showed them the discs i was using, they said the wasnt mickey mouse discs. I came away with one of their discs and got the same results. I always fit discs with the name to the outside, if they were directional they would have arrow surely.

19 minutes ago, la bala said:

I am scratching my head on this one Simon, I even went down our welding centre and showed them the discs i was using, they said the wasnt mickey mouse discs. I came away with one of their discs and got the same results. I always fit discs with the name to the outside, if they were directional they would have arrow surely.

just a thought

is it a 2 speed saw.....i have used these for cutting ali section on slow speed with a steel saw blade (fine tooth) ....then for steel i change over to a disc and change the speed setting ???

what model do you have as ive had a look and some models have a speed regulator.............fairly good make ...they are made by Hitachi

Edited by ditchman

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just a thought

is it a 2 speed saw.....i have used these for cutting ali section on slow speed with a steel saw blade (fine tooth) ....then for steel i change over to a disc and change the speed setting

what model do you have as ive had a look and some models have a speed regulator.............fairly good make ...they are made by Hitachi

This is the ID plate, run speed 4000 rpm

Capture id plate.PNG

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that is the only thing left aint it ..........should be running at 4100rpm

Its a puzzle, you can hang on the handle and get 3-4 mm of disc glowing red but it still doesnt stall out.  Well its off back to the son in law tomorrow, I am well pleased with my new chop saw with toothed blade. Next question, how long do toothed blades last.