Squirrel stalking

harrycatcat1

Today's experience in the wood.

I was late going today as it was about 10.30am before I got there. First thing was to check on the feeders in the top left side of the wood. As I'm making my way up the gradient nice and steady, as I don't want to "upset" my angina, I thought that I could hear a squirrel in the top of a fir tree. This gave me an excuse to get my breath back. It must have been the wind moving the trees as I couldn’t see anything.

Reached the feeding station and not a lot had changed apart from the squirrel trap had gone off but no squirrel.  Nearly all the peanuts had gone and a few feathers and part of a beak left either jackdaw or crow. Reset the trap and filled the peanuts.

Walked half way down into the middle of the wood where there is an area with little ferns or brambles. I have a blue bucket to "have a minute". That turned into 15 minutes and I could hear the scratching of a squirrels nails 💅. Started looking for it but it wasn't readily clear where it was in the canopy. It's biggest mistake was to let me see it coming down the side of a tree and stopping to look around. After the shot it fell on the floor and easily found.

I then went walk about down the farside track and got another squirrel in my sights and concentrating on these words "head shot" "head shot" slowly squeezing the trigger and nothing, forgot to reload. By the time I reloaded the squirrel had done a runner into the far canopy. 

Home time and coffee time.

I will pop a few pictures on once I've reduced the sizes.

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

The thing is, is it legal to have a kill trap open like that??

The trap can only be used in the way it was designed. I have one and there is nothing said about a cage, but the side plate must be in position. They would normally be mounted vert on a tree trunk.

2 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

The trap can only be used in the way it was designed. I have one and there is nothing said about a cage, but the side plate must be in position. They would normally be mounted vert on a tree trunk.

Sometimes when the trap has "gone off" the spring steel arm is so powerful that it chucks the side feeder plate off. I never leave it off.

This is the trap unset and side plate off.

Screenshot_20210916-094907_Gallery.jpg

On 17/09/2021 at 13:41, Fisheruk said:

Yes, it certainly gives a thump when it goes off

Advice please.

As you look at the trap, that we both have, end on. My activator (the bit that hangs down that sets the trap off) doesn't hang down at 6 o'clock it's more like 7 o'clock. Consequently the squirrel is sneaking down the right had side nicking the peanuts and avoiding the activator.

I took the side plate off and with a piece of wood tried to push the activator from 7 o'clock to 6 o'clock whilst the trap was set but it just springs back.

What I thought was to put a block of wood 3" x 2" in the right hand side on the floor of the trap to force the squirrel to go up the left hand side?

I hope it makes sense.

Anything I'm missing please? 

8 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Have you tried mounting it vertically, I think that is how they are designed to be used 

So with the entrance at the bottom? If so how do you keep the peanuts in?

I didn't have instructions for mine I had it given. Even so I still think the activator would be at 7 o'clock due to the tension on the arm.

49 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

So with the entrance at the bottom? If so how do you keep the peanuts in?

I didn't have instructions for mine I had it given. Even so I still think the activator would be at 7 o'clock due to the tension on the arm.

There should be a little expanded metal tray. I’ll get mine down and take a photo. I don’t use it regularly because most of the areas where I do grey control we have Red Squirrels in proximity so kill traps are a no no.

2 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

There should be a little expanded metal tray. I’ll get mine down and take a photo. I don’t use it regularly because most of the areas where I do grey control we have Red Squirrels in proximity so kill traps are a no no.

I’ve just seen your earlier photo. Put monkey nuts or hazel nuts on the mesh above the trigger plate, when the trap is mounted vertically. It’s just to tempt them up into the trap so that they push against the trigger. Very effective when vertical. Have a go. Just make sure you are well away from Reds, I mean 10 miles! Reds will travel a huge distance as they naturally disperse looking for new territory.

38 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

I’ve just seen your earlier photo. Put monkey nuts or hazel nuts on the mesh above the trigger plate, when the trap is mounted vertically. It’s just to tempt them up into the trap so that they push against the trigger. Very effective when vertical. Have a go. Just make sure you are well away from Reds, I mean 10 miles! Reds will travel a huge distance as they naturally disperse looking for new territory.

No reds anywhere near me 😉

I shall have a go at fixing it vertical but there are only two small holes for screws in the base. I could imagine if it went off vertical it would pull the screws out. Unless I get some small bolts and washers 🤔 Thanks for your advice it's given me food for thought👍

On 13/09/2021 at 22:01, Mice! said:

I'm not sure what the trap is your using but you might want to put a box around it if non target species can get in it, there could be anything in it on your return. 

Just found this video, I am going to look into a cover/tunnel like in the video to prevent non target species.  Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Looks good,  I'm sure something like drain pipe or just a tunnel made from wire would do the job.

I will fetch it back from the wood tomorrow and make the adjustments. I have some materials in mind 👍👍

I am also thinking of adapting the bracket to be able to use the trap vertical.