Steel proofing a sxs

Ferret664

As an aside there is NO LEAD BAN, despite numerous people calling it such. It is a voluntary phase out for shooting game which is bound for the food chain. If your shot game isn’t bound for such, then there is nothing to prevent you from continuing to shoot game with lead. It isn’t illegal, and lead cartridges will continue to be made. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

As an aside there is NO LEAD BAN, despite numerous people calling it such. It is a voluntary phase out for shooting game which is bound for the food chain. If your shot game isn’t bound for such, then there is nothing to prevent you from continuing to shoot game with lead. It isn’t illegal, and lead cartridges will continue to be made. 

However if it is 

a effective alternative has to be used 

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Nah! 
I worked it out that using Bismuth would raise the cost of my average driven day by about £70. Definitely not going to let that stop me. You only live once.

Agree with your outlook 100 percent pay for what you enjoy 👍I like most wildfowlers will not be too bothered by the lead phase out as I’ve been using steel for years using numerous shotguns with different chokes On waterfowl and pigeons and crows 

I’m with ref to Eley pro eco wad steel shells, I had a call off one of their guys after enquiring about their use in my Arrieta sxs. He said they’re fine for use as it’s proofed for Nitro, end of story. 
Nitro is usually 3 1/4tonne off the top of my head?

I think mine is 1200lb, why not standardise the units of measure 🤯

However someone earlier mentions gamebore 32 3’s, I have a box(I have a steel proofed gun also) and the box contradicts itself. On one hand states must be used with a gun proofed at 3 1/4per tonne, then, it must be steel proofed and it’s HP steel. 
as an industry it’s laughable, anyone with any involvement in H&S can see it’s a minefield and should be standardised immediately, along with proof ratings of various units of measure required printed on the box for anyone unable to do the conversion. I understand the adage if in doubt don’t use it but given the confusion it can/would happen. 

Edited by Hicky

4 hours ago, Hicky said:

I’m with ref to Eley pro eco wad steel shells, I had a call off one of their guys after enquiring about their use in my Arrieta sxs. He said they’re fine for use as it’s proofed for Nitro, end of story. 
Nitro is usually 3 1/4tonne off the top of my head?

I think mine is 1200lb, why not standardise the units of measure 🤯

However someone earlier mentions gamebore 32 3’s, I have a box(I have a steel proofed gun also) and the box contradicts itself. On one hand states must be used with a gun proofed at 3 1/4per tonne, then, it must be steel proofed and it’s HP steel. 
as an industry it’s laughable, anyone with any involvement in H&S can see it’s a minefield and should be standardised immediately, along with proof ratings of various units of measure required printed on the box for anyone unable to do the conversion. I understand the adage if in doubt don’t use it but given the confusion it can/would happen. 

Agreed, it's a mess. We've been on about shot sizes on here forever. However, don't knock it, but just make sure that you know which way is up. After all, there are distinct advantages in having legislators (civil servants/MPs) who are useless at everything except making sure that their rear ends are covered as far as is possible. Your third paragraph highlights the additional legislative requirements if the duty scapegoat civil servant and MP are to avoid being up before the beak on a compensation claim for personal injuries and equipment damage for failing to ensure adequate accurate, concise and available information following the introduction of a blanket ban on lead shot. Should put a further 2 year delay once they realise the extra work involved. :innocent:

Edited by wymberley

A really interesting thread - but I do find it strange that people still stuff 32g cartridges through lightweight SxSs. I know people who do this too and generally say ohh I love my SXS but it’s hard going🤷‍♂️  I shoot SxS 95% of the time and only ever shoot 28g I have never once felt undergunned, and can hold my own with the ultra fast cartridge Black Gold brigade, to those who do shoot 32g + shells in their SxS try some 28g ones you may be pleasantly surprised, and I guarantee you will enjoy the experience a helluva lot more ! 

4 hours ago, Bungle The Bear said:

A really interesting thread - but I do find it strange that people still stuff 32g cartridges through lightweight SxSs. I know people who do this too and generally say ohh I love my SXS but it’s hard going🤷‍♂️  I shoot SxS 95% of the time and only ever shoot 28g I have never once felt undergunned, and can hold my own with the ultra fast cartridge Black Gold brigade, to those who do shoot 32g + shells in their SxS try some 28g ones you may be pleasantly surprised, and I guarantee you will enjoy the experience a helluva lot more ! 

Sensible post.  I use 1 oz (28g) on live quarry and 3/4 oz (21g) on clays.

4 hours ago, Bungle The Bear said:

Hopefully the manufacturers will get the same idea and load a sensible steel load with a eco wad however at the moment they seem to be concentrating more on the cannon shells 🤔🤭