Jump to content

Steel proofing a sxs


Ferret664
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

What do you find confusing? 

Well I can fire ordinary steel shot through anything unless I want to go to a Basc day where my gun has to be steel proof to participate even though they say I can fire the cartridges  there showcasing through anything 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know a few gents who have had their heirlooms adapted for something like Gamebore Super Steel 32grms/3’s. The old gunsmith I use has been doing the work for them at a minimal charge ( in comparison to an old English gun ). You could also use bismuth if you don't fire it often. In a nutshell anything is do-able but depends on desire vs cost

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

I know a few gents who have had their heirlooms adapted for something like Gamebore Super Steel 32grms/3’s. The old gunsmith I use has been doing the work for them at a minimal charge ( in comparison to an old English gun ). You could also use bismuth if you don't fire it often. In a nutshell anything is do-able but depends on desire vs cost

Do you really want to fire 32 grams at a partridge 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Well I can fire ordinary steel shot through anything unless I want to go to a Basc day where my gun has to be steel proof to participate even though they say I can fire the cartridges  there showcasing through anything 

Indeed. 🙂 Have you asked them why? I’m not a member so can’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Well it seems Basc will only have you on one of there days if your gun is steel proof 

for standard steel shot 

so this gets more confusing 🤔

A67DF202-0FA9-49B8-B301-DBB802B43EB9.png

They accepted non steel proofed magnum modern guns in Scottish events..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think this steel debate will go on as long as shooting exists Me personally I’ve put standard steel and 3 inch gamebore magnums through my 40 year old aya no3 with no problems Up too any hunter what they thinks best 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Think this steel debate will go on as long as shooting exists Me personally I’ve put standard steel and 3 inch gamebore magnums through my 40 year old aya no3 with no problems Up too any hunter what they thinks best 👍

That’s choked and chambered at ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

That’s choked and chambered at ?

 

 

Chokes 1/4 1/2 3 inch chamber proofed to 1200 b Should have said its proper aya no3 magnum beaver tail fore end etc 

Just now, Gerry78 said:

Chokes 1/4 1/2 3 inch chamber proofed to 1200 b Should have said its proper aya no3 magnum beaver tail fore end etc 

Country side alliance done a good video on YouTube Regarding Steel older guns etc well worth a watch for anybody interested 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Chokes 1/4 1/2 3 inch chamber proofed to 1200 b Should have said its proper aya no3 magnum beaver tail fore end etc 

Country side alliance done a good video on YouTube Regarding Steel older guns etc well worth a watch for anybody interested 👍

That’s a fair difference between your aya and a 2.1/2 inch chamber standard proof English gun 

its not a problem to me as I have alternative guns to shoot steel with but 

as the regulations are aimed at making game shooting sustainable it would in my opinion by useful for a good price and safe game cartridges to be available for the English game gun 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread has concentrated throughout on pressure and safety but with no mention of pattern. It must be remembered that steel patterns tighter than steel. On that basis you should be using less choke as a matter of practicality. Who shoots, traditional partridge for example, or any game or fowl at 25 yards with full choke? That is what you will” get using half choke and steel wondering why the bag is mangled. So it’s not just about pressures although I accept this is the gist of the basic thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

That’s a fair difference between your aya and a 2.1/2 inch chamber standard proof English gun 

its not a problem to me as I have alternative guns to shoot steel with but 

as the regulations are aimed at making game shooting sustainable it would in my opinion by useful for a good price and safe game cartridges to be available for the English game gun 

Agree with you there. 
Like you, it is not a problem for me as I have alternative guns too.
But I like to use a quality lightweight English game gun. 
I have little doubt that the Eley/Lyalvale 2 1/2 inch offerings will be fine. I just think that steel 4’s is too large a shot size to be offering. The Lyalvale 5’s sounds more suitable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My concern isn't about standard steel as a whole just the eco wads as I won't be throwing plastic wads about the countryside if I can help it . So from what I seem to gather from here the eley eco wads in 2 3/4 chamber the 5 are standard steel so should be fine even though it says steel proof guns and the 3s are high performance loads so not suitable? I've seen the traditional 2 1/2 inch shells as well.  But can't seem to get them this way that I've seen ? Think I will leave it for now until the ban comes in then open my full choke to half ?.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

My concern isn't about standard steel as a whole just the eco wads as I won't be throwing plastic wads about the countryside if I can help it . So from what I seem to gather from here the eley eco wads in 2 3/4 chamber the 5 are standard steel so should be fine even though it says steel proof guns and the 3s are high performance loads so not suitable? I've seen the traditional 2 1/2 inch shells as well.  But can't seem to get them this way that I've seen ? Think I will leave it for now until the ban comes in then open my full choke to half ?.

As I said earlier, don't get too hung up on shot sizes as a number. If Eley steel no. 3 is less than 3.25mm in diameter then it is standard steel. I have boxes of Pro Eco in both 5's and 3's at home and both have the same warnings.

I can't get on to the Eley website to chech shot diameter at the moment but there should be info there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

My concern isn't about standard steel as a whole just the eco wads as I won't be throwing plastic wads about the countryside if I can help it . So from what I seem to gather from here the eley eco wads in 2 3/4 chamber the 5 are standard steel so should be fine even though it says steel proof guns and the 3s are high performance loads so not suitable? I've seen the traditional 2 1/2 inch shells as well.  But can't seem to get them this way that I've seen ? Think I will leave it for now until the ban comes in then open my full choke to half ?.

Good thinking. :good:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

That’s a fair difference between your aya and a 2.1/2 inch chamber standard proof English gun 

its not a problem to me as I have alternative guns to shoot steel with but 

as the regulations are aimed at making game shooting sustainable it would in my opinion by useful for a good price and safe game cartridges to be available for the English game gun 

Well it’s up to cartridge companies to try produce 2 1/2 inch cartridges for steel with the lead ban on the horizon that’s why I bought a no3 magnum means I can hunt any legal quarry with it in the uk using steel 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Well it’s up to cartridge companies to try produce 2 1/2 inch cartridges for steel with the lead ban on the horizon that’s why I bought a no3 magnum means I can hunt any legal quarry with it in the uk using steel 👍

As Old Farrier and I both posted above, we each (along with thousands of others) have alternative guns with longer chambers to shoot steel cartridges, but like to shoot traditional English 2 1/2 inch game guns on traditional British game shoots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

As Old Farrier and I both posted above, we each (along with thousands of others) have alternative guns with longer chambers to shoot steel cartridges, but like to shoot traditional English 2 1/2 inch game guns on traditional British game shoots.

Yes I did read your posts i also have alternative guns for different situations but unless cartridge companies bring out sufficient steel chambered in 2 1/2 loads as I posted with the lead ban coming in Then You might have a problem using your traditional English guns in traditional British game shoots 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Yes I did read your posts i also have alternative guns for different situations but unless cartridge companies bring out sufficient steel chambered in 2 1/2 loads as I posted with the lead ban coming in Then You might have a problem using your traditional English guns in traditional British game shoots 

Nah! 
I worked it out that using Bismuth would raise the cost of my average driven day by about £70. Definitely not going to let that stop me. You only live once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, London Best said:

As Old Farrier and I both posted above, we each (along with thousands of others) have alternative guns with longer chambers to shoot steel cartridges, but like to shoot traditional English 2 1/2 inch game guns on traditional British game shoots.

That’s the problem we’re not allowed to like or enjoyed anything and as for anything traditional well that’s a no no 

and with steel your cylinder gun is probably going to throw a half choke pattern and my half choke a full 

also wonder how many will enjoy game shooting as much firing a couple of hundred 36 gram steel loads on a day 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...