Steel shot cartridge for game shooting

Griftertig

So Ive been invited on a game shoot where they have already, voluntarily, banned the use of lead so need to get some steel cartridges to put through the beretta. What are people using? I used to use 5 32g lead cartridge but not sure what to purchase.

As the gun is not steel proofed obviously I need to stay away from the hp steel and ideally need a fibre wad. Any help / suggestions much appreciated. Thanks in advance👍

9 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I dont understand  why the game shoot is happier to have plas wads from the steel carts on there ground than lead and fibre  wads .

Surely the plastic is more harmful of the 2 .? 

Will be Game Dealer..... Non lead shot game will demand a premium over lead shot.

Edited by Stonepark

49 minutes ago, Griftertig said:

So Ive been invited on a game shoot where they have already, voluntarily, banned the use of lead so need to get some steel cartridges to put through the beretta. What are people using? I used to use 5 32g lead cartridge but not sure what to purchase.

As the gun is not steel proofed obviously I need to stay away from the hp steel and ideally need a fibre wad. Any help / suggestions much appreciated. Thanks in advance👍

Sorry, overlooked the fibre preference. The cartridges I mentioned are plastic wads. 

54 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Will be Game Dealer..... Non lead shot game will demand a premium over lead shot.

Correct👍. The shoot are tied up with a game dealer that processes birds from a number of shoots. They dont want lead entering the food chain...and obviously fibre wad to break down.

So Eley Ecowad or Lyalvale express ultimate steel seem to be the only options so far. Anyone had any experience of using either??

A company called ‘Bioammo’ are touting a non plastic wad cart’ - made I believe from vegetable starch. Looks like a plaswad but isn’t….?!

Sorry I have no first hand experience of these yet - just know they’re available in the UK now. New Spanish project I am told. 

This reminds me, I will have to grasp the nettle soon and try some steel for game….?!

35 minutes ago, Fellside said:

A company called ‘Bioammo’ are touting a non plastic wad cart’ - made I believe from vegetable starch. Looks like a plaswad but isn’t….?!

Sorry I have no first hand experience of these yet - just know they’re available in the UK now. New Spanish project I am told. 

Yes they are, it is the company behind Eley, but only with lead as the payload at the moment.

But I believe steel loads are on the way.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

15 minutes ago, Fellside said:

I suppose not then (?). Early days for most people. Perhaps I will try a box and report here - if I can find any for sale.

I’ve got some and intend using them but it’s to early in the season for me to say what there like 

wouldn’t be fair to comment about them until they have had a fair trial 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I’ve got some and intend using them but it’s to early in the season for me to say what there like 

wouldn’t be fair to comment about them until they have had a fair trial 

It will be interesting to know how you get on Old farrier - when you’ve had a pop with them. 

I did fancy using some on pigeons recently. However, once the harvest pigeons started, I was too busy to shop…. used the usual lead favourites bought last year. Excuses excuses…..🙂

8 hours ago, Fellside said:

It will be interesting to know how you get on Old farrier - when you’ve had a pop with them. 

I did fancy using some on pigeons recently. However, once the harvest pigeons started, I was too busy to shop…. used the usual lead favourites bought last year. Excuses excuses…..🙂

I’m pretty confident they will be fine on partridge (two weeks time) as for the higher pheasant later on who knows 

my main concern is the amount of damage to the game and the amount of recoil through the light game guns 

most of the non toxic stuff I’ve been fireing over the years has been through heavy wildfowling guns 

Hi ,

I took a slab of the Eley steel ecowad  pigeon shooting, they were No 5 steel, and I couldn't tell the difference from lead, in my auto.

Same recoil, same auto reload, same dead pigeon.  If I was Game shooting, I would probably try the No3 Steel shot,, as high pheasants might need a bit more penetration ?

Hi if it’s of interest to anyone I  wrote to Bioammo a couple of weeks ago regarding 20gauge steel bio cartridges. They informed me that they will have them at the end of this year , and will be making other gauge cartridges.. Rio cartridges have steel cartridges with bio wads, they advertise them as better patterns, less recoil, and up to 15% faster speed due to the elasticity of the wad. Also the wads are high quality fertiliser to help nourish your hunting ground. The only thing missing is (recommended by Mr C P ) . I also use Eley bio cartridges but in 20gauge in 4shot, they do the job and reload in my semi auto. 

3 hours ago, cardigun said:

Hi ,

I took a slab of the Eley steel ecowad  pigeon shooting, they were No 5 steel, and I couldn't tell the difference from lead, in my auto.

Same recoil, same auto reload, same dead pigeon.  If I was Game shooting, I would probably try the No3 Steel shot,, as high pheasants might need a bit more penetration ?

Very good 

now does your gun weigh 6.1/4 pounds?

semiautos use the recoil /gas to chamber the next cartridge unlike a side by side 

im thinking a number 3 shot maybe gain on penetration but lose on pattern 

was there any noticeable changes to the damage on the pigeon caused by the different shot? 

just curious here trying to get a balance of performance and damage on the game 

23 hours ago, Fellside said:

Cheers for that.

Has anyone bought these yet - have experience of using them? 

I've shot both - Eley Eco wad last year and Lyvale this year (both 2 1/2 inch versions). 

The Lyvale in 30g 5 shot very smoothly (I didn't notice much if a difference with the 28g 6's I was using) and I'd say will kill any average birds put over you.

The Eley Eco Wads were 30g 4's and I shot a nice duck with them. Both will do the job. 

Edited by claysandgame
Shot size

2 hours ago, claysandgame said:

I've shot both - Eley Eco wad last year and Lyvale this year (both 2 1/2 inch versions). 

The Lyvale in 30g 4 shot very smoothly (I didn't notice much if a difference with the 28g 6's I was using) and I'd say will kill any average birds put over you.

The Eley Eco Wads were also 30g 4's and I shot a nice duck with them. Both will do the job. 

Through a gun non steel proofed?. Did a bit of reading and 5 32g seem to be the maximum load size recommended in LP steel (not HP steel)  

11 minutes ago, Griftertig said:

Through a gun non steel proofed?. Did a bit of reading and 5 32g seem to be the maximum load size recommended in LP steel (not HP steel)  

Yes through a non-HP proof gun (no Fleur de lys mark).

I defer to one of the others but it may be 32g is the maximum load size, that would be different to the shot size I suspect? 

Edit - The Lyvale were 5's not 4's. Eley only make their grand Prix Eco wad in 30g 4 as far as I'm aware. 

Edited by claysandgame
Shot size