How much capacity of a solar panel is needed to run a rotary magnet wiper motor?

bavarianbrit

23 hours ago, bavarianbrit said:

Sorry I asked.

seriously now ....i have thought of the same thing......what prompted me was seeing the road speed awareness signs that have a small solar panel ontop......

i think for this idea to work you need a super light aliminuim magnet with polystirene decoys and a very small efficient motor to drive it that is geared well down......having the shiny panel near the magnet ...i dont think will frighten the pigeons...as by nature they are inqisitive.......

I did have a solar operated garden pond pump. It relied upon STRONG sunlight to work correctly, so, I gave it up as a bad job ! Several years later I did use the pump with some 1/2" plastic hose attached as a bilge pump for shifting rain water out of a 16 foot dinghy, using a 12 volt 12amp/hr battery as a power source.

I would stick with a battery  !

• 2 weeks later...

Surely the want for a load of decoy tech is a want rather than a necessity.  If you are in the right place ( under a flight line or two) and at a place where the birds feel comfortable, you don't need any kit.  I can't see a solar panel generating enough power to drive a rotary even on a sunny day.  I was given a pigeon decoy kite. It had a silhouette body and rotary wings. Yes it did work but to get it up flying the wind had to be near storm force and if the wind dropped so did the decoy and once it hit the ground it wouldn't take off again. On the face of it a good idea that didn't pan out. Keep the decoy kit light and simple Unless you can drive a load carrying vehicle to the hide. or you have a team of porters to cart everything.

On 12/09/2021 at 19:28, bavarianbrit said:

Just wondered if it would save dragging the heavy battery along.

Fundamentally, no.

You never directly connect a solar panel to a load.  You would use a solar panel to keep a battery charged.  So as a weight-saving measure it's a non-starter.

Well, I suppose you could reduce the size of the battery as it's being kept topped up, but to give you any meaningful numbers we'd need to know the rating of your motor.  Is there an ID plate on it?

Yeah but all of this is overlooking the fact that if pigeon want to feed on a particular field they will and if they've got other ideas you're wasting your time. Spending a load of money on gear won't make pigeon come in to your decoy pattern if they've got their mind on another field.  I've  set up on an area of fallen wheat with all the gear out there, only to have pigeon fly straight over to a field about a mile away out on the marsh.