Dog Flea Treatment Help Required . THANKS

marsh man

Hi    Can you recommend a good dog flea treatment that work please , I have looked online at what the vets recommend and after giving my dog a tablet a day plus a follow up tablet which is to prevent any more flea problems plus a weekly bath with a recommended  shampoo from Pets At Home my dog still have the odd small fleas crawling over under his belly , we have sprayed his bedding and the home is well vacuumed , your help would be very much appreciated .   MM

Bravecto, can't beat it, one tablet lasts 3 months against fleas and 1 month against ticks, I've never seen a flea on any of my dogs after treatment. 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Only problem with that type of treatment is if your dog swims, I've used advocate in the past (which looks to be the same medication in that collar) and it works by getting into the blood stream and coating the fur, if your dog swims, it washes the treatment out and your dog can catch fleas again. 

Boil wash bedding if possible alternatively freeze for 48hrs. 

I supplement my three with a product called Billy no mates from CSj dog foods. 

Not seen a tick or flea this year!

Andy

Edited as I forgot to ask what vacuum you use, if it’s a bagged type make sure you are binning the bag as a eggs/fleas will come back out of the Hoover. 

Edited by WelshAndy

We had a problem with fleas. Tried frontline, advocate, tablets all with washing and spraying bedding and the house. Finally Bravecto along with the usual spraying/washing has done the trick. I was talking to the vets and it’s quite common to have fleas that are resistant to fipronil which is the active ingredient in quite a lot of the spot in products.

41 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

We had a problem with fleas. Tried frontline, advocate, tablets all with washing and spraying bedding and the house. Finally Bravecto along with the usual spraying/washing has done the trick. I was talking to the vets and it’s quite common to have fleas that are resistant to fipronil which is the active ingredient in quite a lot of the spot in products.

Many THANKS to you and all the above members for your time and advise .

I have been looking up online for the Bravecto tablets for large dogs and the ones I saw were prescription only , is their anywhere I can get them from the vet shops , or order them online please ?

4 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Bravecto is good to rid ticks/fleas but some possible nasty side effects, saying that; I still use it

6 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I have been looking up online for the Bravecto tablets for large dogs and the ones I saw were prescription only , is their anywhere I can get them from the vet shops , or order them online please ?

I don't think so, my vet gives me a prescription for 12 months for £8 then I buy online

25 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I tried looking online but everywhere wants a photocopy of a prescription from a vet. 

Bravecto is prescription only, it looks expensive on the face of it but it does cover against fleas for a full 3 months which also covers their entire life cycle. I know I sound like a rep but can assure you I'm no connection, just have lots of dogs and lived in many different areas and tried many different products and it's the only one I trust 100% to destroy all fleas, I've never seen one since I changed to it. 

23 hours ago, marsh man said:

Hi    Can you recommend a good dog flea treatment that work please , I have looked online at what the vets recommend and after giving my dog a tablet a day plus a follow up tablet which is to prevent any more flea problems plus a weekly bath with a recommended  shampoo from Pets At Home my dog still have the odd small fleas crawling over under his belly , we have sprayed his bedding and the home is well vacuumed , your help would be very much appreciated .   MM

I buy Advantage for our dogs and cats. I use it from March till October. Not seen a flea in years. You can buy it online without prescription.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-flea-treatments-advantage-for-dogs-c-3_660_874

Before I started using this  I found Frontline was no longer effective and had an infestation. Wilkinsons household flea spray cleared the house of fleas. You need to repeat dose it for a while to completely clear them. 

https://www.wilko.com/wilko-household-flea-spray-500ml/p/0142203?gclid=CjwKCAjw7fuJBhBdEiwA2lLMYRXH3PXqjNY8u_saBb1XsP8flIR9I9LuyhJMY8D1caldEsuFGBhNORoCFSkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by loriusgarrulus