Aluminium Wheel Plastic Wheel Nut Covers

wymberley

So far with this current car, just the one puncture but locally and managed to get to the tyre shop. My son laughed when I told him I'd just bought a spare wheel, binning the idea of the squirty inny stuff and told me to join the 21st century. I won't bother telling you the fun he had last weekend twist Plymouth and Exeter; suffice to say he now has a spare wheel.

So, question: Just checked the tyre pressures as the temperature has started to drop and thought I'd also check the wheel nuts. I have just bought 4 new alloy wheels of which I've just scratched one before knocking things on the head. (Decided to change the tailgate struts instead and what a difference that makes when you discover one was duff!) Is there a special tool for removing the Subject items or is it just a knack to do so without scratching the wheel anodising? After something durable and the car is a Yeti.

Edited by wymberley

I have a Skoda Karoq with a space saver spare wheel.  I got the plastic covers off the wheel studs with the bent bit of wire, which was in the "holder" in the spare wheel compartment.  It took me a while to work out that you hooked the short ends under the edge of the plastic cap, and give a pull.  It more or less works.  The "Space Saver" is a disaster.  I had to turn off the anti skid button, also turn off the 4X4 function, as the space saver is much smaller than a standard wheel, and thus goes round faster.  The clever electronics think it has wheel spin, and puts the brake on it !

Your Yeti may be different.  I'm going to buy a proper spare wheel, and do without some of the space in the boot.

20 minutes ago, cardigun said:

I have a Skoda Karoq with a space saver spare wheel.  I got the plastic covers off the wheel studs with the bent bit of wire, which was in the "holder" in the spare wheel compartment.  It took me a while to work out that you hooked the short ends under the edge of the plastic cap, and give a pull.  It more or less works.  The "Space Saver" is a disaster.  I had to turn off the anti skid button, also turn off the 4X4 function, as the space saver is much smaller than a standard wheel, and thus goes round faster.  The clever electronics think it has wheel spin, and puts the brake on it !

Your Yeti may be different.  I'm going to buy a proper spare wheel, and do without some of the space in the boot.

If that is acceptable - it was for me - then the advantage is you can sit comfortably on the back end under the tailgate without falling over backwards into the well closely followed by the coffee. 

32 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

If you are talking about the plastic wheel nut covers, my Skoda has a tool in the tool box above the spare wheel just for removing them, basically just a hook with a ring made out of stiff wire.

So did mine although initially I didn't twig what it was. My tyre shop gave me (advertising) a little pouch for my locking nut key in which the tool was then kept. I have not seen it since my puncture repair. I reckon one way to do 'durable' is to have more than one as a puncture usually occurs in the middle of no where in the pouring rain. Have ordered the 2 set from big A as there were none locally.

Edited by wymberley

This is quite a timely thread actually, coming back from MK a couple of weeks back we came across 2 cars at the side of the road, I pulled over and asked if everything was alright? Both families were black (not that this is a racist thread) and looked as if they were Church bound judging by their dress. Anyhow the problem seemed to be that one car (Jaguar F type) had suffered a puncture but the spanner that came with the tool kit would not fit the wheel nut, it appeared to be too small and they had called the AA for assistance, wish I had taken a picture of their faces when I popped the nut covers off with my trusty penknife and put the wrench on the nut. Even more funny(?) was that they had jacked the car up on the grass verge and the jack was buried in the ground whilst the car was still touching the floor on all 4 corners.

These:

SurePromise 17mm 19mm 21mm Hex Alloy Wheel Nut Bolt Caps Cover Removal Tool Key (2 PCS)

On the Yeti there's not a lot of room so as the hexagonal sides of the caps are flat, removing the 'points' from the curved working face of the tool gave an extra few thou' that made all the difference. From the big A

Edited by wymberley