What Is Going On?

wymberley

Do you remember when more often than not you could walk into an RFD (or into any other retail outlet for that matter) and there would be a fair chance that what you wanted would be on the shelf? Chances now are pretty much zero and whatever you're after will have to be ordered. Now, to top this off, it becomes a 'special order' which can't be cancelled. Remember when you might have had to pay a non returnable deposit should you change your mind for no apparent good reason? Fair enough. Time for a 20% discount from whichever party is responsible for breaking the agreement should the customer wish to continue with the purchase, I fancy.

I am now in the 'special order' bracket. If, after several months apart, I happen to be lied to twice, now, that is 'special'. Try me.

Rant over.

14 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Being an RFD must be close to the worst job in the world

Yep at this moment in time I would be seeking a new line of work the way things are going, lunatics taking over the asylum is about wright when you see those spoon fed ******* oxygen thief's sat on the motorway 

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Do you remember when more often than not you could walk into an RFD (or into any other retail outlet for that matter) and there would be a fair chance that what you wanted would be on the shelf? Chances now are pretty much zero and whatever you're after will have to be ordered. Now, to top this off, it becomes a 'special order' which can't be cancelled. Remember when you might have had to pay a non returnable deposit should you change your mind for no apparent good reason? Fair enough. Time for a 20% discount from whichever party is responsible for breaking the agreement should the customer wish to continue with the purchase, I fancy.

I am now in the 'special order' bracket. If, after several months apart, I happen to be lied to twice, now, that is 'special'. Try me.

Rant over.

Surely not the WMR again?

2 hours ago, steve s×s said:

Yep at this moment in time I would be seeking a new line of work the way things are going, lunatics taking over the asylum is about wright when you see those spoon fed ******* oxygen thief's sat on the motorway 

My mate Gordon is into boats and he always used to say as soon as there is any sort of economic downturn boats pour onto the market. Luxury items that can be turned into cash are the first to go and spending on luxury goods dries up.

One club that I belong to has lost a quarter of its members already, it will be interesting to see how many more fail to renew this coming January.

14 minutes ago, London Best said:

Surely not the WMR again?

Yep. You can perhaps understand if I appear to be a tad annoyed. I'll perhaps stretch it a couple of days, but if it goes beyond this timescale that I was given this time, I'm out. Although it's not what I would have liked, there is something that has caught my eye if push comes to shove. 

I think all retail is being effected. I can’t buy some fishing tackle I need. I’m also being told that cartridge choice may be compromised re short supplies etc. Some are panic buying their favourite cart’s for the game season. 

I have noticed that my nearest gun shop / clay ground has a very trimmed down selection now. 

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

I think all retail is being effected. I can’t buy some fishing tackle I need. I’m also being told that cartridge choice may be compromised re short supplies etc. Some are panic buying their favourite cart’s for the game season. 

I have noticed that my nearest gun shop / clay ground has a very trimmed down selection now. 

One can accept this if conditions become such that it's unavoidable, but when you're told that although an exact date cannot be given, your goods will arrive at the end of month A, but still haven't by the end of month B and it's looking decidedly likely that month C is going to be equally fruitless, then I figure that you're rightly entitled to question their business integrity.

I went into a local RFD / gunshop with my pal to pick up some .223REM. After waiting for 15 minutes whilst he talked utter nonsense to a greenhorn he then smiled like a Cheshire Cat when telling me that they are completely out, which I just cannot believe could happen. 

The nonsense was that a gas ram air rifle is between a springer and PCP, it is a gas capsule that is filled each time you cock the gun 🙈

Edited by WalkedUp

32 minutes ago, wymberley said:

One can accept this if conditions become such that it's unavoidable, but when you're told that although an exact date cannot be given, your goods will arrive at the end of month A, but still haven't by the end of month B and it's looking decidedly likely that month C is going to be equally fruitless, then I figure that you're rightly entitled to question their business integrity.

Yes - they shouldn’t be promising any deadline, if that deadline is theoretical / speculative. A customer refund would seem a reasonable entitlement, if they have failed to supply re multiple deadlines. 

Their business survival model could be entirely based on holding customer’s advance payments. Where have we seen this before….?! If they go under,  your receipt won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on. 

I could be erring to the cynical side here - the business might be doing OK. 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I went into a local RFD / gunshop with my pal to pick up some .223REM. After waiting for 15 minutes whilst he talked utter nonsense to a greenhorn he then smiled like a Cheshire Cat when telling me that they are completely out, which I just cannot believe could happen. 

The nonsense was that a gas ram air rifle is between a springer and PCP, it is a gas capsule that is filled each time you cock the gun 🙈

That sounds exactly the same as the first (and last) time I went into my local dealer. Talking nonsense to someone about an air rifle they weren't ever going to buy while keeping me waiting an unreasonable amount of time over a £400 sale of something he promised to have over the phone but in reality hadn't nor was ever likely to.

Idiot