Ducks on stubbles

Krico woodcock

1 hour ago, Krico woodcock said:

Have any of you wise gentle men any tips on duck shooting on stubbles. I have a field about 20 acres, approx 60 to 80 mallard coming dark of evening, past dusk. In flock's of 15 to 20 , and lighting everywhere in middle of field..  need to draw them in , have to try and lie flat on Field. 

Decoys and some good call work can work well, make sure net over you (if no straw) is slightly lighter than background (darker it gets less it matters but early on is advantageous).

Guy I knew used to put down several yards of tin foil under decoys to simulate reflection of water in a puddle to help pull them into a particular area.

58 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Decoys and some good call work can work well, make sure net over you (if no straw) is slightly lighter than background (darker it gets less it matters but early on is advantageous).

Guy I knew used to put down several yards of tin foil under decoys to simulate reflection of water in a puddle to help pull them into a particular area.

I was actually thinking about putting plastic sheeting down to simulate water on field, but knowing my luck would flare every duck away!

Going to give them a try hopefully Saturday evening.. have shot a few ducks on stubbles  a couple of time's before, they always came and gathered up in sky into a big flock before flying around the field several times looking for danger, safety in numbers. Always found it hard to get it right with them. One morning years ago had mallard gather up in sky before dawn ,there was at least 100 mallard flying over me and my mates head the height of telegraph pole,  some experience sound of wings, and mallard nattering, us afraid to look up where we were hid, we didn't shoot into the flock, and they lit less than 100 yards away, let dog out to riser them , they left, we hoped they might come back in small bit flock's. Nope, shot 3 singles. Went back that evening, shot 2 singles and a double.. 

One thing you need to avoid is going to often as you will soon jar them off , watch them for a couple of night and then try and pick a night that is windy and the wind direction is in your favour , you won't get to many goes at them before they find somewhere safer so do your homework , pick the right night and you should get a shot or two .

Shot stubble field this evening. Set up  half dozen mallard decoy's raised off the ground. And put a mallard drake on a pigeon turbo flapper.. absolutely no cover, had to lie flat on my belly, very hard to watch,call and get up and shoot , but can be done.. ducks came early, round 8 o clock. the flapper worked well. shot 7 mallard.. IF I shoot field next weekend, I'm going to set up on a hedge, proper hide more comfort! If the ducks come as early next time I would have no problem decoying them to that end of field. But that's when they will come late, and drop in middle of field. Full moon won't help it either.

42 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Shot stubble field this evening. Set up  half dozen mallard decoy's raised off the ground. And put a mallard drake on a pigeon turbo flapper.. absolutely no cover, had to lie flat on my belly, very hard to watch,call and get up and shoot , but can be done.. ducks came early, round 8 o clock. the flapper worked well. shot 7 mallard.. IF I shoot field next weekend, I'm going to set up on a hedge, proper hide more comfort! If the ducks come as early next time I would have no problem decoying them to that end of field. But that's when they will come late, and drop in middle of field. Full moon won't help it either.

Well done!

• 2 weeks later...