Halal and kosher meat

12gauge82

22 minutes ago, henry d said:

I don't stun my fish before I bleed them to death, no prayers, no stunning, what's the problem?

They are panicking before bleeding, bleeding is not as swift as slaughterhouse, I do it as it gives a better flavour and the fish dies within a few seconds; ethically what is the difference?

I know little about fishing so maybe someone else can give a better answer, apart from the fact it'd be rather difficult to bring a electrical stun device everytime you went fishing, I don't think a fish can be compared to a cow or pig, just like it would be silly to compare a human to livestock. Also, as pointed out by others, I think there's a distinction between wild animals allowed to live as nature intended and then killed as nature intended compared to a captive animal reared for the sole purpose of slaughter for consumption. In the latter case everything reasonable should be done to elevate unnecessary suffering. 

5 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

So that's your contribution then, not much of an argument for your point 😜 Glad it amused you though 👍

Well I’m not clear what we’re allowed to talk about on your thread? 🤷‍♂️

Apparently my likening the situation to a Hunter finishing a dear had no relevance to this thread … 

I can see Henry however has almost the exact same experience with killing his fish. 

Walkedup also echo’s my thoughts, the lead up to the death is far more relevant than the stunning or not stunning. 

Although neither of them mentioned labelling meat either … how come they didn’t get told their posts were irrelevant? 😭😭😭

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Well I’m not clear what we’re allowed to talk about on your thread? 🤷‍♂️

Apparently my likening the situation to a Hunter finishing a dear had no relevance to this thread … 

I can see Henry however has almost the exact same experience with killing his fish. 

Walkedup also echo’s my thoughts, the lead up to the death is far more relevant than the stunning or not stunning. 

Although neither of them mentioned labelling meat either … how come they didn’t get told their posts were irrelevant? 😭😭😭

Talk about whatever you want, the more ridiculous the post, the more entertaining it is. 

Well I didn't think your analogy had any likeness, I actually thought it a bit ridiculous, but that's just my personal opinion. 

I agree the lead up is probably more important, but it's the whole picture that counts of which stunning is a part and this thread is specifically about labeling of non stunned meat so I'm not sure what your point is there?

There posts weren't mentioned as imo they weren't being ridiculous, but I guess that depends on your perspective. 

Personally i think it's a great idea to label it Halal/ Kosher etc, the main reason for me is that they are both done under so called religious ideals and i can't stand religion of any sort. A good friend who i shoot with regularly is Arab and he said it's a load of rubbish this Halal/Kosher stuff as the blood can be drained after slaughter before it congeals under Islamic rules, the only reason they cut the throat is to allow the heart to pump the blood out faster and so no congealing.  When he shoots a deer he doesn't rush up and slit it's throat, he'll leave it 5/10 minutes keep an eye on it with a round in the chamber to make sure it's dead then eventually make his way over to it and then do the bleeding process and say a small prayer at the same time. Oh and my Jewish mates virtually al eat Pork products !, usually bacon sarnies.

s

ok as i get it hall all  meat is not stunned and blead out leading to a better product     lasts longer   without fridge or tescos          kosher  killed in a certain way inc looking at a bowl of lettuce  for an unwanted bug to die means prayers and a ritual to cleanse      if i am wrong please correct me   as a non practicing rc       i would like to understand other coulters    and would not be offend          i have eaten just about everything and some         if grandma cooks it i will eat it        what you got    

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

ok as i get it hall all  meat is not stunned and blead out leading to a better product     lasts longer   without fridge or tescos          kosher  killed in a certain way inc looking at a bowl of lettuce  for an unwanted bug to die means prayers and a ritual to cleanse      if i am wrong please correct me   as a non practicing rc       i would like to understand other coulters    and would not be offend          i have eaten just about everything and some         if grandma cooks it i will eat it        what you got    

i generally work on .............."if i cant spell it i wont eat it"

It’s all a nonsense in reality. There is the processing of the carcass to go through between killing and appearing on supermarket shelves. 
The carcass which was halal slaughtered isn’t necessarily the same one claimed as such, on the supermarket shelf. 
Edited to add….and vice versa. 

Edited by Scully

2 hours ago, Scully said:

It’s all a nonsense in reality. There is the processing of the carcass to go through between killing and appearing on supermarket shelves. 
The carcass which was halal slaughtered isn’t necessarily the same one claimed as such, on the supermarket shelf. 
Edited to add….and vice versa. 

That's news to me, I thought religious slaughtered meat was done in large batches and an entire load would be sent out. I was told most meat is halal slaughtered, but that could be wrong? 

18 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

That's news to me, I thought religious slaughtered meat was done in large batches and an entire load would be sent out. I was told most meat is halal slaughtered, but that could be wrong? 

I’m not suggesting it’s common practise, or even policy, but it does happen in my experience. 
The holy man or whatever he’s called, would travel from Blackburn, Bolton, Preston or wherever, do the deed and go home, leaving his carcasses to be processed, and in due course would travel back to collect them. 
As the saying goes…..the only guarantees in this life are death and taxes. 🙂

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I’m not suggesting it’s common practise, or even policy, but it does happen in my experience. 
The holy man or whatever he’s called, would travel from Blackburn, Bolton, Preston or wherever, do the deed and go home, leaving his carcasses to be processed, and in due course would travel back to collect them. 
As the saying goes…..the only guarantees in this life are death and taxes. 🙂

Not surprising really when you put it like that. 

Having seen all 3 methods of slaughter + 1 that is no longer legal i personaly dont like to see Halal method.

We have moved on from this century's old method regardless of religious beliefs, no different from those who face the death penalty, we no longer crucify people due to humanitarian reasons.   

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

Having seen all 3 methods of slaughter + 1 that is no longer legal i personaly dont like to see Halal method.

We have moved on from this century's old method regardless of religious beliefs, no different from those who face the death penalty, we no longer crucify people due to humanitarian reasons.   

Well coming from someone with first hand experience is good enough for me.