Football pitches ???.

samboy

Footballers get spoilt these days when it comes to their playing surface. I played rugby in the snow once and scrummaged my way so far through the turf I was in the drainage stones.

About 3 years later I played on another terrible pitch that resulted in me rupturing my Achilles tendon.

In modern times it seems most injuries are now occurring on the new rubber based 3G playing surfaces. Hateful stuff to play on, a slide tackle or a slip and slide on the pitch nearly requires skin grafts on the friction burns!

And in those days they played with real footballs !! Not the lightweight beach balls of today. Heavy leather balls. If the balls had not been waterproofed with dubbin then in the rain the leather absorbed water making them even heavier. It was like heading an iron cannonball. Anybody remember them?

Just now, Bobba said:

And in those days they played with real footballs !! Not the lightweight beach balls of today. Heavy leather balls. If the balls had not been waterproofed with dubbin then in the rain the leather absorbed water making them even heavier. It was like heading an iron cannonball. Anybody remember them?

Which is why so many old footballers are loopy!

36 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Which is why so many old footballers are loopy!

26 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

If you headed them a lot back in the day there is a fair chance you won't be remembering much at all by now, not even your name

Then I guess nobody will be replying to my question “Anybody remember them?” 😂😂

36 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Then I guess nobody will be replying to my question “Anybody remember them?” 😂😂

My dad used to talk about heading the old caser footballs in school, said it was like heading a medicine ball. Worse though was taking a full volley to a cold wet inner thigh on a winters day

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

Yep i remember them well. Probably weighed more than i did at the time.