Humber bridge- devices fitted to drop cables

Agriv8

Afternoon all as google has not found the answer.

walked the Humber Bridge on a recent visit to mr JDog on here ! 

The drop cables between suspension cables and deck have a couple of odd devices fitted - I assume there some sort of harmonic balancer for wind but can not get a definitive answer any body shed some light on these

Thanks Agriv8 

39336554-98CB-4592-BD18-0AF5D8F4DD53.jpeg

2 answers and from what I have found on Google both could be correct.

Found a lot about the drying system fitted to the suspension cables what a fantastic idea ! and more on how the individual cables are joined to the counter balance worth a read.

Just nothing on the anti Alien devices fitted !

will keep digging!

thanks Agriv8 

Welsh 1 thank you so much for finding that and taking the time to post impressive watching it being fitted and instant dampening. I guess it’s not to stop aliens crashing into it !

Seeing some of the photos of frayed drop cabled it does make sense to stop em vibrating I suspect the stopping even small harmonic vibration must be beneficial !

thanks All

19 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Welsh 1 thank you so much for finding that and taking the time to post impressive watching it being fitted and instant dampening. I guess it’s not to stop aliens crashing into it !

Seeing some of the photos of frayed drop cabled it does make sense to stop em vibrating I suspect the stopping even small harmonic vibration must be beneficial !

thanks All

If you look around you stockbridge dampers are used in quite a few places, you have most probably seen them hundreds of times while out shooting and passing pylons and never gave them a second glance.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2015/07/what-s-that-thing-stockbridge-dampers.html

We had this argument at work ,so i asked the guy's who operate the bridge .

Straight from the horses mouth.

Good afternoon Gerard,

Certain winds cause the hangers to oscillate (wobble). The items you have identified are dampeners to reduce this.  

We hope this helps settle the argument between you and your work colleagues.

Kind regards

Karyn