How to reclaim money paid for a service that isn't going ahead

B725

Do / Did you have a contract? If so what does it say? What communication have you had so far? 

Option wise: 

Send a letter before claim, and then small claims court? 

It’s not worth getting solicitor involved as it’ll probably cost more than you get back. 

Also you could post about the guy online and see if he has done similar to others, I imagine once his reputation starts getting dented he may reply to your messages trying to sort it out. 

The deposit was paid in cash with a receipt as there was a problem with bank transfer and Nat West. The communication with his keeper up to last week had been positive but it seems they have parted company. I have a record of all communication on my phone. 

Hopefully it was a small deposit as I wouldn’t be holding my breath 

my first course of action would be to go and knock on his door 

then a trouncing on social media at this point you can’t go back and have to pursue it even if it costs more

along with a call to his firearms licensing department informing them of the situation and the pending court action

this is assuming that he is a shooting person do we really need fraudsters holding shoot days 

If you've paid cash they know they've got you  on the back foot straight away. Dont go and knock on their door unless you're prepared to go a lot further.

Fill in this form

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

send them a screenshot before you make the claim ,informing them that you'll go ahead with the claim immediately if the money's not returned. I've done it a few times, along with a google street view pic of their front door and  its always worked for me. I did also think of telling them id publish the claim form on every relevant forum i can but iv'e never needed to. Good luck.

Edited by telbert

The small claims court is useless, it's pretty much a toothless tiger, you've got more chance of taking a poop in the queen's handbag than being successful through small claims.  You have to front up the initial cost of the claim, probably circa £50 - £70 for claiming that amount (haven't looked at their tariffs for ages).

Presuming the judge finds in your favour and orders the defendant to pay up....what if he doesn't cough up?  You can apply for judgement to be entered in to, at a further cost.  Look at it from his perspective: If he's already in financial ruin he won't care if he has a CCJ added to his problems, he's probably already collected some already.  Also, if this is a registered limited company and he's wound up the business or it's owing money left right and centre guess what, go and join the back of the queue and don't hold your breath whilst you're waiting in line.

You can then apply, at an even further cost to yourself, for the court to send bailiffs to enforce the judgement.

See the trend?  More and more unrecoverable costs to yourself if they don't ultimately pay up, so you could end up circa £800 out of pocket instead of £500.  This is why our small claims court system is an utter joke.  It's far too easy to rip people off in this country and get away with it.

I'm speaking with bitterness from personal experience here, as you might detect!!

To date I have made 5 claims for unpaid bills to my business and only one was successful, I think I got my £60 back and a tiny bit of interest on top of it as it was a commercial debt.  The other unpaid ones racked up over £3k all told, all businesses who disappeared without a trace.

Unbelievably I got a CCJ put against a plumber because he refused to pay his bill of £45!!  He got himself a CCJ for the sake of 45 quid! (and yes I was justified to do it, he tried to screw me after I saved his backside when he flooded someone's carpet)

In all honesty I'd find a debt collector by word of mouth if you have contacts in the know.  As long as they get to keep a decent cut of it you'll find that the most likely way of salvaging something.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

All at yet another cost up front to yourself which you'll only get back if you can successfully nail the *****d down and get them to pay.

You can't recover debt from someone who's got nothing.

While i understand you have not been able to recover your debts, the advice i have given is the best chance of recovery, in my experience more pay than don't when confronted with a high court officer.
It is up to each individual to decide how far they want to go along the recovery trail.

I do my debt recoveries myself in person. It’s amazing how many scouser lads think they are to much of a big man to bother paying for what they have signed for us to do. 

Find out where he lives and where he works. Turn up where he works first and let him know the next time will be on his door step. Keep calm, if he gets physical be prepared to call the police. Get him to pay on the spot or text (or preferably email) you to confirm that he owes you the money and will pay within 14 days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 19:05, telbert said:

If you've paid cash they know they've got you  on the back foot straight away. Dont go and knock on their door unless you're prepared to go a lot further.

Fill in this form

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

send them a screenshot before you make the claim ,informing them that you'll go ahead with the claim immediately if the money's not returned. I've done it a few times, along with a google street view pic of their front door and  its always worked for me. I did also think of telling them id publish the claim form on every relevant forum i can but iv'e never needed to. Good luck.

I did submit a claim but as there is now no correspondence at all how do you find out who the liquidation company is ?

19 hours ago, B725 said:

I used the link added by Telbert it appears he taken a lot of money from a lot of people, the business was going to be struck off but that has now been suspended.

Is it near Monsall?

If it is I heard this morning that there is a group on Facebook trying to get money back.