Are we going backwards...????

Walker570

My old Samsung mobile suddenly developed a big purple patch which started to spread across the screen so nipped into Tesco my provider for a new one.  I was due for one anyway.  The nice young lady pointed out that my one of a kind phone case would not fit the new phones which where twice as large, thats the first problem because I have a superb leather phone case made by the world famous leather worker Linda, well known on here and I didn't ewant to not use it. However my wife has the same model Samsung so I handed it to her.

Back to the subject.  I am old enough to remember back in 1987 when I invited a keeper friend from the Lakes to come and have a day or two with us in herefordshire. His friend ...now famous but I believe retired sporting clothing supplier, came with him and produced a modile phone.  Battery similar to that we used to use for foxing and on top was a handset similar t that we had back in the sixties.  Now the phone offered by this nice young lady at Tesco was twice the size of my little Samsung and after two weeks I am still trying to work out how the thing functions. It keeps trying to help me but in the way I do not wish. I took a few photos and tried to transfer them to my computer records but it insisted there was not any photos on the phone.    Are we so pathetically useless these days we cannot make a decision for ourselves ?   I suppose ventually I will work my way into it but have had to make a new leather case....I suppose they changed the size to try and sell you a new case because it doesn't come with one...another scam.    ....I could go on but rant over....:mad:

Edited by Walker570

I am sorry but this is called 'progress' and us oldies will have to live with it , if I have any phone or computer problems I call my 10 year old granddaughter who always sort it out, after she has given me that look, you know, 'oh grandad you are hopeless' , 

I have a very old Huawei p20 which I still struggle with and an equally old Acre lap top, she has an iPhone 11 ( soon to be changed for an iPhone 13 or something) and the latest tablet, god knows what that is, she skypes, tweets twitters and plays a hundred and one games that I cant even get to run as I cannot work out the controls .

We are an aging irrelevant generation that cost far too much in pension payments, drive too slowly on the roads holding everyone up and cannot cope with modern technology, watch out as they are trying to get the assisted suicide laws passed, none of us oldies will be safe, and you just worry about working your new phone,!!!!!!!😵

23 minutes ago, adzyvilla said:

I ditched the smart phone for the first time in 15 years last year and just have one that just does calls and texts. I'm fed up with the constant intrusions that technology makes into our lives. I'm really enjoying it so far, and the battery lasts 7 days between charges.

I have never had a smart phone and still have one which, like yours, just does calls and texts. I’m ok with calls but find texts difficult sometimes.
The family are determined to get me one of those clever phones but I keep resisting because I know I just could not stand the stress and frustration.

Just now, London Best said:

I have never had a smart phone and still have one which, like yours, just does calls and texts. I’m ok with calls but find texts difficult sometimes.
The family are determined to get me one of those clever phones but I keep resisting because I know I just could not stand the stress and frustration.

Oh come on. Get a grip!

I'm 73 and love my iPhone. It's so damn useful.

35 minutes ago, adzyvilla said:

I ditched the smart phone for the first time in 15 years last year and just have one that just does calls and texts. I'm fed up with the constant intrusions that technology makes into our lives. I'm really enjoying it so far, and the battery lasts 7 days between charges.

like the sound of this..................

all i want it for is to call the AA......or the ambulance

Edited by ditchman

4 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

This is what I’m considering doing. I too am sick of the constant attachment to my phone. I need to break the addiction!

23 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

You oldies, what are you like!!!!!!!!

I don’t think that you liked mobiles, even when they first appeared and are happy with your VHS cassettes along with a Hostess trolley 😉😉😉

been there seen done ...i had one of the first "mobiles " in norfolk........about the size and weight of a breeze block.....Cell-net..........use it for 20 mins and the battery would be flat..............then the motorola....liked them..............then it started to get complicated

4 hours ago, London Best said:

As far as mobile phones go I think we are very similar in our ways , I never had a mobile until we had to have one at work as we often worked in some remote parts of the estate , it took ages to get used to it , I would often leave it in a different coat that I was working in and let the battery go flat , up until now I have never sent a text and I have had my own mobile since I retired nearly 14 years ago, the thing is I have never took a lot f interests in mobiles and if you haven't got any interest in anything then you will never learn , my wife bought me a phone as she thought I was getting on a bit and going down the marsh in the dark by myself , and believe it or not it wasn't till the other day when I realised it  could take a photo , so one day I might take one and try and put it on here , on the other hand if it take me as long as it did to find out I could take a photo them maybe I won't be about to do that:lol:

23 minutes ago, marsh man said:

As far as mobile phones go I think we are very similar in our ways , I never had a mobile until we had to have one at work as we often worked in some remote parts of the estate , it took ages to get used to it , I would often leave it in a different coat that I was working in and let the battery go flat , up until now I have never sent a text and I have had my own mobile since I retired nearly 14 years ago, the thing is I have never took a lot f interests in mobiles and if you haven't got any interest in anything then you will never learn , my wife bought me a phone as she thought I was getting on a bit and going down the marsh in the dark by myself , and believe it or not it wasn't till the other day when I realised it  could take a photo , so one day I might take one and try and put it on here , on the other hand if it take me as long as it did to find out I could take a photo them maybe I won't be about to do that:lol:

That’s it. I’m going to text you tomorrow and I expect a reply 👍🏻

You have more processing power these days in the palm of your hand than people could have ever imagined 20 years ago. 

30 years ago if you told people about iPhones today they’d think you were mad. 

The ability to speak to anyone anywhere in the world at anytime, connectivity, accessibility, it has truly revolutionised the world. 

Exciting to see what things will be like in 20-30 years time. 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You have more processing power these days in the palm of your hand than people could have ever imagined 20 years ago. 

The ability to speak to anyone anywhere in the world at anytime, connectivity, accessibility, it has truly revolutionised the world. 

Exiting or worrying? 20-30 years more loss of personal freedom. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

We will probably need to do it all in Chinese.

On 17/09/2021 at 16:56, Walker570 said:

My old Samsung mobile suddenly developed a big purple patch which started to spread across the screen so nipped into Tesco my provider for a new one.  I was due for one anyway.  The nice young lady pointed out that my one of a kind phone case would not fit the new phones which where twice as large, thats the first problem because I have a superb leather phone case made by the world famous leather worker Linda, well known on here and I didn't ewant to not use it. However my wife has the same model Samsung so I handed it to her.

Back to the subject.  I am old enough to remember back in 1987 when I invited a keeper friend from the Lakes to come and have a day or two with us in herefordshire. His friend ...now famous but I believe retired sporting clothing supplier, came with him and produced a modile phone.  Battery similar to that we used to use for foxing and on top was a handset similar t that we had back in the sixties.  Now the phone offered by this nice young lady at Tesco was twice the size of my little Samsung and after two weeks I am still trying to work out how the thing functions. It keeps trying to help me but in the way I do not wish. I took a few photos and tried to transfer them to my computer records but it insisted there was not any photos on the phone.    Are we so pathetically useless these days we cannot make a decision for ourselves ?   I suppose ventually I will work my way into it but have had to make a new leather case....I suppose they changed the size to try and sell you a new case because it doesn't come with one...another scam.    ....I could go on but rant over....

I'm sure that if you send me the dimensions of your new phone , her good self will make you a new cover nev .  Sssshhh don't tell anyone.

We've been given tablets to use in the trucks at work , I have to get my head of IT  ( the little ginger kid that loads the truck) to deal with . If he ever turns up late for work , I'm stuffed . 

22 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Exactly a lot of things have changed and keep changing 

I along with a few others on here can remember watching the moon landing and more importantly when the tv came on at 5.30 and finished at 10.30 with the national anthem image the reduced carbon footprint if we could have that now

sadly the technology demand is one of the main things fuelling the planets problems