Spectacles

steve_b_wales

A few months ago, I went to Specsavers to purchase two pairs of varifocal glasses. The total price was £260. They are okay and do the job they are intended to do, well. I wanted another pair to keep as a spare, as one of them is kept in work. Specsavers informed me that I would have to pay another £189 for one pair. I looked online and picked a company named Goggles 4U. They were advertising two pairs (buy on get one free) for £66:00. I took a chance and sent them my prescription. Last week, I made enquiries as to when I could expect them, and was told, 'they've been shipped'. It turns out that they are made in Cerritos California. They arrived today and I am very impressed with them. Just as good as the Specsaver ones, The frames are cheaper but I don't mind that. I'm always breaking/twisting frames anyway. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

Isn’t it the law that they must do this?

Don't know to be honest, a few years ago i used boots and they only gave me half the prescription, i only noticed when i went to buy online, i went back and they tried to make out it was a mistake.I have never had a problem with specsavers.

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

Isn’t it the law that they must do this?

Not before trying to twist your arm up your back with selling you the most expensive frames and coatings etc and getting grumpy when I said that I was late for my bus 🤥🤥

Edited by harrycatcat1

I was wearing glasses for reading. A complete pita out and about not being able to see stuff close up. Constantly reaching for the glasses to read the phone when your out on the bike, shooting or whatever. During lockdown I had replacement lenses installed. No more glasses and sight is 20/20 again. Expensive and not the most plesant procedure but hopefully long term it was worth the discomfort.

3 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Yes, if you read my first post, I mentioned that I wanted more. As long as you provide them with an accurate prescription, or even email it to them, they will follow it.

Thanks Steve. 

I didn't read the post properly.

Just now, harrycatcat1 said:

Why do you need your eyes checking when you have had them checked at specsavers?

You will need your eyes checking again at some future point. Who pays the ophthalmologist’s salary and the overheads for the equipment? If you buy everything off the internet there is no money to support local services.

23 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

You will need your eyes checking again at some future point. Who pays the ophthalmologist’s salary and the overheads for the equipment? If you buy everything off the internet there is no money to support local services.

You pay the opticians for your eye test. That pays the salary and equipment. You dont need to pay twice the price for the spectacles from them. Do you buy your toothbrush and toothpaste from the dentist?

Edited by MirokuMK70

My mistake, when I had my eyes and ears tested at Specsavers there was no cost. I did not need any glasses so had nothing to pay, which felt unfair. My wife’s independent optician also tests here eyes for free, but she has contact lenses and so I can see how they cover their costs. I was unaware that Specsavers etc charged for tests. 

I’ve just been onto their website, it states that they are not running their free eye tests currently. So I assume it must be a recent change. This is separate to the NHS funded eye tests.