Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Shooting clays and quite by accident I found that I was using my periferal vision, how I managed this I'm still trying to figure it out,

It seemed easier: ghost barrel appeared, at the same time, whereas I had more time it seemed to perfect my aim, even with a fast moving clay.

At the present day, I'm unable to re-enact this periferal vision.

Anyone advise you had similar issue?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/09/2021 at 18:44, My cat Pogo said:

Shooting clays and quite by accident I found that I was using my periferal vision, how I managed this I'm still trying to figure it out,

It seemed easier: ghost barrel appeared, at the same time, whereas I had more time it seemed to perfect my aim, even with a fast moving clay.

At the present day, I'm unable to re-enact this periferal vision.

Anyone advise you had similar issue?

Thanks for welcomes!

Am I right in thinking my post about periferal vision is a grey area? I have spoken to other clay shooters who it seems don't understand what I'm talking about. 

After my experience 'post above' and googling the topic most professional clay shooters use this periferal vision!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, My cat Pogo said:

Thanks for welcomes!

Am I right in thinking my post about periferal vision is a grey area? I have spoken to other clay shooters who it seems don't understand what I'm talking about. 

After my experience 'post above' and googling the topic most professional clay shooters use this periferal vision!

I think the bit that is confusing people is your use of "peripheral". I think you are talking about your focal point and being aware of what else is there. Ideally, once the gun is mounted it is shooting where you are looking, so you'll see a clay in focus and be aware of the bead if you use it, but you won't be looking down at the barrels. The barrels to me are out of focus, and with a ghost barrel from the non-dominant eye. You don't get everything in focus all at once. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ehb102 said:

I think the bit that is confusing people is your use of "peripheral". I think you are talking about your focal point and being aware of what else is there. Ideally, once the gun is mounted it is shooting where you are looking, so you'll see a clay in focus and be aware of the bead if you use it, but you won't be looking down at the barrels. The barrels to me are out of focus, and with a ghost barrel from the non-dominant eye. You don't get everything in focus all at once. 

(Focal point is in fact the clay seen in my periferal vision)...

I gather what your explaining is your clay seen directly ahead with your centre vision.

As you would for example at an optician for eye check up.

Maybe most people probobly when attending their opticians appointment as well as straight ahead vision also have a periferal check ? This is done looking through a (binocular?) unit whereby you close each eye in turn and told to look directly ahead at a red/green dot meanwhile in your periferal, small black images appear momentarily ..your asked to press a small button when you seen them, that's the periferal vision check, and is my main disscusional point here.

Edited by My cat Pogo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, My cat Pogo said:

(Focal point is in fact the clay seen in my periferal vision)...

I gather what your explaining is your clay seen directly ahead with your centre vision.

As you would for example at an optician for eye check up.

Maybe most people probobly when attending their opticians appointment as well as straight ahead vision also have a periferal check ? This is done looking through a (binocular?) unit whereby you close each eye in turn and told to look directly ahead at a red/green dot meanwhile in your periferal, small black images appear momentarily ..your asked to press a small button when you seen them, that's the periferal vision check, and is my main disscusional point here.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Go and find Ed Lyons on social media and see if he can help you. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ehb102 said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Go and find Ed Lyons on social media and see if he can help you. 

 

 Thanks your response..I'm not certain as to exactly what your implying here, but if you're name dropping why don't you go and find 'Gil Ash' of OSP shooting school, it's somewhere there that you will locate Gil's 'Three Bullet Drill' 

 

 

 

 

Edited by My cat Pogo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, My cat Pogo said:

(Focal point is in fact the clay seen in my periferal vision)...

I gather what your explaining is your clay seen directly ahead with your centre vision.

As you would for example at an optician for eye check up.

Maybe most people probobly when attending their opticians appointment as well as straight ahead vision also have a periferal check ? This is done looking through a (binocular?) unit whereby you close each eye in turn and told to look directly ahead at a red/green dot meanwhile in your periferal, small black images appear momentarily ..your asked to press a small button when you seen them, that's the periferal vision check, and is my main disscusional point here.

The peripheral test at opticians is to check for glaucoma, and isn’t part of a normal check up. 
When shooting, the clay should be 100% your point of focus, and your muzzles merely a soft blur you’re aware of in your peripheral vision. 
If you become aware of looking down the side of your barrel, chances are your none shooting eye is taking over, either because your mount is wrong or it is your master eye. 
I can’t say I’ve ever been aware of a ghost barrel. 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Welcome to a rather stroppy newbie. Posts on a subject only he appears to understand and then has a pop at posters derailing his thread. 

A little humility would go a long way.

:good:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. Admit you don't understand what someone is saying, and share the expert name they need and the channel where they can get free and expert advice and you get a shirty response. He's going to fit right in here.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He / she has viewed the topic since the answers above were posted and hasn't commented. I question the motives of anyone who asks for advice on an obscure / confused matter and then has a pop when asked for further detail or given advice. Just what is he / she seeking? beats me.

Bizarre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Wow. Admit you don't understand what someone is saying, and share the expert name they need and the channel where they can get free and expert advice and you get a shirty response. He's going to fit right in here.

 

Well FWIW I thought your initial response to the OP was perfect ...

 

On 21/09/2021 at 13:53, My cat Pogo said:

(Focal point is in fact the clay seen in my periferal vision)...

I gather what your explaining is your clay seen directly ahead with your centre vision.

As you would for example at an optician for eye check up.

Maybe most people probobly when attending their opticians appointment as well as straight ahead vision also have a periferal check ? This is done looking through a (binocular?) unit whereby you close each eye in turn and told to look directly ahead at a red/green dot meanwhile in your periferal, small black images appear momentarily ..your asked to press a small button when you seen them, that's the periferal vision check, and is my main disscusional point here.

I have had the peripheral vision check at Ed Lyons .. so fully understand that part.

Good vision is key to shooting well (Carrie only has 1 eye, but it';s a good'un !)

As a reasonably competent shot, I can assure you that the best way for you to optimise your shooting, is to focus on the target, and use the peripheral vision to help your subconscious know where your gun is.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, My cat Pogo said:

 Thanks your response..I'm not certain as to exactly what your implying here, but if you're name dropping why don't you go and find 'Gil Ash' of OSP shooting school, it's somewhere there that you will locate Gil's 'Three Bullet Drill' 

 

 

 

 

I thought GilAsh   was a Hungarian meat and veg dish  ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/09/2021 at 18:05, Smokersmith said:

This is an exercise to train you to look at the target, irrespective of where the barrel is. Once again … focus on target, barrel in periphery. 

Exactly this is what I'm trying to replicate, what happened that day, it seemed so easy to break all those clays that afternoon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...