How do we make shooting more accessible for the younger generations with the cost of shooting?

Ericbristow

As time passes we as a community/sport must engage with the younger generation in order to maintain our sport/culture.

With pressures from Government mounting and new bans/disruptive legislation coming into force (steel) the cost of shooting is only rising, at what point do we blink? 40-45p a clay, £220+ 1000 (lead, fibre, entry level cartridges), £80+ for beginner 1hr coaching (+ cartridges and clays)

The sport feels somewhat reserved for those who can afford to pay the fees or for the few who are lucky to carry natural talent and become sponsored.

I would like to ask what people's thoughts are on this matter and how they believe as a community we can make shooting more accessible? 

I personally belive it to be willfully ignorant of us to say "if you can't afford it don't shoot".

Thank you in advance.

Shooting probably is more accessible now than ever before. 

As long as days continue to be sold, there is no issue with supply and demand. 

When keepers can’t fill shoot days they drop the price. 

I would like to see a large return to more walked up and rough shooting but can’t ever see it happening. 

Most people who aren’t loaded having  access into country sports on big shoots is through beating. 

I think clay shooting for youngsters is certainly accessible but not cheap, my oldest lad is 14 and really keen (beating through the season) and the local clay shoot lets him shoot comps free of charge which is greatly appreciated and a reduced price for lessons. When I look at the motors in the car park for the local clay shoot comp days there is no shortage of money about in shooting.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I think that, cost-wise, shooting is more accessible now than it has ever been.

I agree, although clay days for youngsters with 20 bores and smaller can be cost prohibitive. 
Standard Clays are only 13 quid a box, and we only have one trap, but we soon get through them and plenty of cartridges when there’s four novices shooting, and all on 20 bore and .410! 😳

To some extent the cost is the cost. Running a clay ground costs money, much more than a box of clays etc and cartridges cost an amount to make etc. Having said that it would be nice to see more clubs offering reduced rates for youngsters and students. This would have to be covered by adult prices but I think most people would be happy with that. I also think that more effort should be made to provide children who come through beating with training and access on beaters days or even dedicated young beaters days with coaches. I'm sure many keen children have been put off after beening excited for their first beaters day only to lose interest after not hitting anything because they are not getting proper training.

08DE3DDB-8BD3-4DEA-A338-5A812753D9A9.jpeg.7bba0574b96adf880ffe2901d0d64126.jpeg

We had 4 little boys out shooting balloons today, one gun, single shot. They loved it and it cost pennies. I could switch to an air rifle from the .410”, but I would need to buy a junior air rifle. They had 3 shots each and were very competitive with each other, even though it was only 10 yards they were arguing over who had the best shot and how many of the bag they each accounted for like a couple of 60 year olds. They also fed the pheasants, pumped water from a stream to fill the IBC and did a bit of dogging in. Compared to most days out with your children that is an incredibly cheap way to spend the day! 

DF727FB7-4FCB-4249-93B4-0F17D1033402.jpeg

What part of the sport is it we are talking about here? Driven game? Rough shooting? Walked up? Decoyed pigeon? Or are we talking clay shooting/competition? 

In my opinion shooting is as cheap as any sport out there. It just depends what level you want to play at or how much vanity you hold in your equipment.

I pay £100 for a 5 year licence, my o/u is a double trigger non ejector that I wouldn't even get money for on a trade in even though its spotless. It may not be a great sporter but it can still break clays. If I saved some money I could afford a day or 2 walked up shooting if I wanted it even though my yearly pay is less than 25grand a year and I have 2 young kids.

At my local ground last time I was there I could shoot 2 rounds of English skeet for £20 with cartridges included.

I don't see it as an expensive hobby for getting kids into, if my son or daughter were to shoot a couple of rounds of skeet two weekends a month it would be 40quid. I took them to an indoor play area yesterday and it was over £20 for an hour and a half plus we spent £20 on rubbish when we were there.

Apologies for the long drawn out ramble...

18 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

boys out shooting balloons today, one gun, single shot. They loved it and it cost pennies. I could switch to an air rifle from the .410”, but I would need to buy a junior air rifle. They had 3 shots each and were very competitive with each other, even though it was only 10 yards they were arguing over who had the best shot and how many of the bag they each accounted for like a couple of 60 year olds. They also fed the pheasants, pumped water from a stream to fill the IBC and did a bit of dogging in. Compared to most days out with your children that is an incredibly cheap way to spend the day! 

And they were outside not on a play station. :good:

I am a bit unsure where the OP is coming from. He asks how we can attract younger people into the sport, but only considers the financial aspect.

More coverage by the media would help. Emma Radecanu wins a big tennis tournament, which I expect will be a shot in the arm for tennis and attract youngsters.

Amber Hill was unfortunate to miss the Olympics, where a win by her would have pushed Clay Shooting and women in sport.

As regards the financial side, I don't think it is extortionate. Kids get trainers worth hundreds, i-phones etc, which could easily pay for a shotgun or air rifle. I have taken my grandson clay shooting at Rishton - who were good enough to let me pay for a few clays practice rather than a full round. Before her untimely death, Eddie Threlfall's wife often refused payment for the clays.

I have just bought a quad bike for my twin granddaughters - more than the cost of a decent shotgun. Grounds charge £25-35 for a practice on a very basic track. Shooting is cheap by comparison.

Fishing is often made very affordable and accessible for children. I think we need to learn from this. More could be done to offer shooting ‘at cost’ for youngsters in the same way - both clays and game. No one expects game or clay shoots to make a loss, but stripping out the profit margin for children would be reasonable, for a certain limited number of days. 

Any shoots that do this would increase their popularity and turn over as a result anyway. They would certainly gain extra business from me. 

P.S Well done to WalkedUp - great job!!

Local ground is free clays for under 16 if a adult is shooting with them and to be honest he’s a gent as frequently we bend the rules and have two kids per adult shooting 

so it’s just cartridges and the club gun 

over 16 can do jobs there and earn a round of clays 

over 18 there expected to pay and make room for the next round of youngsters 

so on a bad day he’s giving away 1000 clays 

I think he is doing his bit locally 👍

we as a syndicate activity encourage the youngsters beating and work parties no payment is given in return we take the workers to the clay ground and syndicate supply there cartridges along with picking them up and taking them home along with use of the plucking machine (under supervision) to help prepare the game for there parents and relatives 

any suggestions as to what more we can do ?

The lads invite the clay ground owner for a day on the shoot to show there appreciation and to learn how to be a host  as we don’t do a beaters day instead they draw at the beginning of the season and a beater has 1 peg. On each day 

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Local ground is free clays for under 16 if a adult is shooting with them and to be honest he’s a gent as frequently we bend the rules and have two kids per adult shooting 

so it’s just cartridges and the club gun 

over 16 can do jobs there and earn a round of clays 

over 18 there expected to pay and make room for the next round of youngsters 

so on a bad day he’s giving away 1000 clays 

I think he is doing his bit locally 👍

we as a syndicate activity encourage the youngsters beating and work parties no payment is given in return we take the workers to the clay ground and syndicate supply there cartridges along with picking them up and taking them home along with use of the plucking machine (under supervision) to help prepare the game for there parents and relatives 

any suggestions as to what more we can do ?

The lads invite the clay ground owner for a day on the shoot to show there appreciation and to learn how to be a host  as we don’t do a beaters day instead they draw at the beginning of the season and a beater has 1 peg. On each day 

I don’t think you could improve much on that. Good effort!
Perhaps post code lottery plays a part. I can’t find anything like this in my area for the youngsters. 

15 hours ago, Fellside said:

I don’t think you could improve much on that. Good effort!
Perhaps post code lottery plays a part. I can’t find anything like this in my area for the youngsters. 

It’s not a postcode lottery it’s a bunch of blokes in a rural community that realise you have to put something in 

any syndicate can do it anywhere in the country 

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

It’s not a postcode lottery it’s a bunch of blokes in a rural community that realise you have to put something in 

any syndicate can do it anywhere in the country 

However, many don’t do anything, and that’s the random nature of it. 
You have given me a few ideas anyway….?!

My cycling club asks he same question and it is so much easier for us. round here every kid has a bike but it is a mountain bike and we are trying to keep the road side going. Cost doesn't help but it is access thats the problem. If parents don't do the donkey work no kids will get involved. 

Shooting is intimidating. You have two ways in. Hope that dad/friend/local shoot invites you along. The latter is so rare that unless your family shoot you won't. Clays. Scary. A well advertised, complete beginners day might get some along but most will just be the I want to play with guns type. That can be dealt with. However what clay ground can afford to do that? Someone has to pay. Small charges could be be made but is there a stock of kid sized guns. 

Shooting is like motocross, banger racing or skiing. It takes family interest to do it and accessible starter programmes. Sadly I don't see much more happening unless a huge effor is made. 

I think the country life is by and large a family thing. It tends to be in you or not really. You just pass it along to your kids and grandkids. Bought mine up wih ferreting dogs and guns etc. Shoot days by and large are just not affordable and personally I have no interest. I would rather be waist deep in a cold ditch waiting for a flighting duck or sat in a hedge after the pigeons my self. The daughters boyfriend is a country lad and I helped him get sorted with his licence and guns etc and have a great crack out shooting together and it will be passed to there kids and so it goes. Mean time those against it are quite successfully tightening the noose to end it all

I notice the OP has not been back since posing the question. I wonder why he / she posed it. Have a go stands at Country Fairs are a good starting point, but Country Fairs are not happening often enough.

Mentioned above - motocross seems to be thriving, despite the cost - far in excess of shooting. 

44 minutes ago, TIDES EDGE said:

With regards to Game Shooting the younger generation are just not interested in beating which will lead to some shooting ie beaters day etc we can not get any young beaters the majority of our team are all old codgers me included.

I would say that's a failing of the community not young people. They don't know any different than they have for generations, the shooting community just needs to be more open and engaging with them. Bring in more young adults that are likely to have young families. Don't be so old, grumpy and sarcastic. Teach them how to stay warm and dry. Teach them land management, rearing, beating and shooting skills. Give them the benefits ie shooting early rather than the you have to earn it first mentality.

Maybe the young today have more options open to them and therefore a shorter attention span. Ultimately though its the responsibility of the existing community to engage them.

19 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

I would say that's a failing of the community not young people.

Well said!  I started writing a somewhat terse response @TIDES EDGE's 'yoof of today' post but you phrased it far better than I could.

Our little DIY syndicate has its issues, fractions, people not seeing eye to eye and the like.  But one thing we're all in agreement on is bringing the next generation on, and as a result we are not short of young beaters.  

Side note: Is there some kind of letter you receive when you get to a certain age, that tells you must bemoan subsequent generations and show a complete lack of self-awareness whilst doing so?  After all, the same has happened throughout the ages.  See that famous Socrates quote

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers

38 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Well said!  I started writing a somewhat terse response @TIDES EDGE's 'yoof of today' post but you phrased it far better than I could.

Our little DIY syndicate has its issues, fractions, people not seeing eye to eye and the like.  But one thing we're all in agreement on is bringing the next generation on, and as a result we are not short of young beaters.  

Side note: Is there some kind of letter you receive when you get to a certain age, that tells you must bemoan subsequent generations and show a complete lack of self-awareness whilst doing so?  After all, the same has happened throughout the ages.  See that famous Socrates quote

Yes - the older generation have always been disparaging of the young. However, I do find that if youngsters get involved in shooting they invariably love it and want to come back for more. Interestingly, the grumpy old men seem to enjoy the company of youngsters, once they are alongside them. It’s just a question of opening the door and letting youngsters in.

I wanted to shoot for decades and saw no avenue in. Lack of research or drive didn't mean it wasn't a dream to do it.

One day I thought I WILL do this and googled, and found a taster session, then went from there. But, it surely can't be me.... but for a lifetime I was *too scared* to go into a gun shop. It's where old men smoke pipes and outsiders don't wear tweed so will be chased out, right?!? (I can't be the only one with this insane fear?)

Things I now know:

Learning to shoot isn't cheap (£75-80, sometimes with clays on top)
Gun shops are incredibly welcoming and eternally patient with new shooters
Most experienced shooters will happily talk about their gun or answer questions, IF they're not on the stand. 
USE the local knowledge from experience
PigeonWatch is the best gun forum (ok, ok. Where's my free merch?!)
Shooting can be.... cheap or expensive. 

I have arranged with someone from here (thanks chap!) to go shooting soon to a posh venue, 40p a clay. We could hit another local, and pay 28.8p but for a less polished club house (but just as fun shooting). A brand new gun for £599, or £100,000+. A second hand gun for..... £5. It may be rubbish but it will fire. TGS did a nice vid from a bargain basement gun. Clothes? Cheap baseball cap and £7 safety goggles from screwfix, and you're kitted. £100 for 5 years licence is cheaper than my SUP riverways unpowered river licence. 

Then there's you guys and dolls. So much help if people just asked, I wish I came here years ago, or the equivolent thereof. 

Shooting isn't cheap if you do it often. I calculate roughly 60p for cart and clay, 100 shots for £60. I spend more on a night out, and I have no hangover from shooting.

On to the OP..... There's a local shoot that is free for kids, that needs to be seen elsewhere. When kiddo shoots with mummy or daddy, it's a new addict potentially. Even if they charged 10p a clay, costs are covered as the parent will still go back. Loyalty goes a long way. 

I do think more county/country fairs should do shooting stalls, get a real vibe. "Pow pow" draws a crowd, and make it cost neutral and you could hook a barrage of future customers.