Walkie Talkies

telbert

Does anyone here use walkie talkies when out shooting? I regularly shoot with a mate and we normally end up decoying in two different fields/parts of fields and often thought about getting a set. Can anyone  let me have some info/advice on what to be looking for please. And any recommendations too.

Ta.  

55 minutes ago, telbert said:

Does anyone here use walkie talkies when out shooting? I regularly shoot with a mate and we normally end up decoying in two different fields/parts of fields and often thought about getting a set. Can anyone  let me have some info/advice on what to be looking for please. And any recommendations too.

Ta.  

PMR446 is the offical way to go, something like Motorola T82 Extreme or Midland G7, if you want reasonable quality without costing the earth but more reliable than Argos sold versions, though I do note Argos now do Cobra' higher end models but I think are still AAA batteries which are a pain.

Alternatively baufeng uv5r for inexpensive chinese walkie talkie which has other abilities other than just PMR446 band, plenty of Youtube videos describing uses.

14 hours ago, walshie said:

We've got a pair of motorola t80 here. Been going strong for 5 or 6 years so far. 

These ^^^^^ or similar running on pmr 446 0.5w are the legal ones that can be used by anyone licence free. We have a few and they are great upto a couple of miles line of sight. The more powerful stuff requires a licence, not hard to get but not neccessary for most.

THE "UK SIMPLE" LICENCE - "BASIC RIGHT TO USE THE MORE POWERFUL RADIOS"

This licence is effectively a licence to use the more powerful radios anywhere in the United Kingdom, using a set of frequencies that are shared by all users of this licence. This licence is quick and easy to apply for, costs £75 per organisation, and is valid for five years.

15 hours ago, old'un said:

If you can get a signal what's wrong with a mobile?

Simply too slow if you can get a signal. 

Edited by oowee