car supermarkets

kingsy18

About 20 years ago, we bought my wife's FIAT Punto from a discounter in Derby, in the days when discount cars were being imported from Belgium.

It was about 10% cheaper than the local dealer and was a better spec.

The only downside was that we had to drive to Derby to collect it.

It had the full guarantee and the servicing was done by the local dealer.

Nowadays, of course, they deliver the car to you.

If the business model is similar to the likes of Evans Halshaw they'll apply little to no mark up on the vehicle and derive their profits from selling the finance package. If that's the case they make it obvious that they do not like cash buyers and if you don't want finance you'll get better treated at a main dealer.

I have bought three cars from a car supermarket, Motorpoint in Derby. Two for my wife and one for my sister. They tend to be ex-hire vehicles. All were much cheaper than main dealers. Most seem to have done around 14k miles. All were excellent vehicles. As Westward says, they do push the finance a bit.

48 minutes ago, Westward said:

If the business model is similar to the likes of Evans Halshaw they'll apply little to no mark up on the vehicle and derive their profits from selling the finance package. If that's the case they make it obvious that they do not like cash buyers and if you don't want finance you'll get better treated at a main dealer.

Simple solution is to take the finance, get the best deal on price or extras on the vehicle and then pay the finance off within the (14 day?) "Cooling off period" or just before interest hits.

Edd

Most of these big firms are no longer in the business of selling cars, they’re are our to sell finance. 

On small loans the internet is pushing to almost 10%, and they try and blindside you with asking “how much do you want to pay a month?” And can get quite annoyed when you ask them for the interest rate, total repayment etc. 

From my own experience and that of both my son and brother in law, you get very good treatment from a main dealer, plus things like extended warranty, nav upgrades and a fully prepped and valeted car. My son was only one buying finance but in all our cases the pricing was just as good as typical internet listings and the cars had all been supplied new and serviced by the selling dealer. The main dealers were Mazda, Volvo and Nissan so I can't comment on the likes of Ford etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2021 at 11:58, Westward said:

From my own experience and that of both my son and brother in law, you get very good treatment from a main dealer, plus things like extended warranty, nav upgrades and a fully prepped and valeted car. My son was only one buying finance but in all our cases the pricing was just as good as typical internet listings and the cars had all been supplied new and serviced by the selling dealer. The main dealers were Mazda, Volvo and Nissan so I can't comment on the likes of Ford etc.

This ^^^

Big thumbs up to Honda too

People are put off going to main agents because they think they will be more expensive but we have found the exact opposite to be the case

Edited by Vince Green

We bought my sister a vauxhall mokka from local Evans Halshaw 3 yrs back now .

She wanted to PX her 12 plate qashqai +2 top spec . 

The screen price on the mokka was £1150 more than what they offered for her nissan (1 owner f.s.h ) so on my opinion it was give them the nissan and £1150 and deal done 🤔 .

OH NO !! .

By the time the salesman " completed the paperwork" the deal was her car and £2450 😲😲.

I sat down next to sis and asked him to explain how the extra money came into it .

It was for .. upholstery treatment , exterior body protection , gap insurance , breakdown cover, glass breakage insurance and Scotchgard the carpet ....

He was nearly crying when I told him to rip that lot up and do the deal she asked for her car and £1150 and drive the mokka away ..,

He tried for 15mins to get us to take his deal until I said right sis time to leave we'll find you another mokka somewhere else... As we stood up and he realised I meant it he reluctantly done the deal we wanted ...

Edited by hodge911
Spelling correction