Super glue question

Gordon R

I was messing with some tools on a roll cab, in the back of our four wheel box trailer. The top of the roll cab has a thick rubber lining. I had a small bottle of super glue open, as I was trying to glue a ball bearing to the spring, which operates the ratchet action, on an old Snap On ratchet. I knocked the bottle over and it started to smoke. I went pick up a set of keys which the glue had splashed onto and it was very, very hot. I dropped the keys and got a rag to clean up the glue. The only items involved were the super glue, rubber matting, the keys, a Snap On socket set tin, which had some oil residue on it.

Any ideas why the glue was smoking and why it created so much heat. It looked like it was going to set on fire.

Edited by Gordon R

Not exactly on topic... A few years ago I was working for a military contractor and attended an exhibition where peace protestors thought it would be a cool idea to Super Glue themselves to railings to disrupt the event (it didn't, but did provide some amusement) the police used Coca-Cola to release the perps...you can also drink it -allegedly.

Thanks for the explanations. It gave me a nasty shock. Used loads over the years, but never spilt an amount like this. 

Cosmicblue - I will try the Coca-Cola, as I still have a bit stuck to my fingers. I usually wait until I have finished in the garage for the day and use a wire wool pan scourer..

26 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Not exactly on topic... A few years ago I was working for a military contractor and attended an exhibition where peace protestors thought it would be a cool idea to Super Glue themselves to railings to disrupt the event (it didn't, but did provide some amusement) the police used Coca-Cola to release the perps...you can also drink it -allegedly.

Again, not on topic, but if it were up to me regarding those who had superglued themselves to whatever, I’d just leave them. 🙂

I think what you had there was a run away chemical reaction. With that much glue in one go and mane on eof the rapid types? The hotter it gets the faster the reaction so it starts to run away on you. The smoke was probably just the glue fumes getting extreme from the heat. You always get some fumes from super glue hence the fingerprint trick.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

yeah i red that on wiki'............amazing the number of inventions that have come by accident.....

Its handy stuff ditchman. A couple of years ago my grand daughter was cutting my wifes hair, my wife was on blood thinners at the time. My grand daughter managed to put a tiny nick in my wifes head. It was a tiny nick, you would never believe how much blood was coming out. Quick dob of super glue, done job.