Favourite trout flies - lakes / reservoirs

Bobba

This may well have been covered before but forum search engine gives nothing despite search permutations.

About to spend some time fly “tying” (“dressing” to the purists) Putting to one side whether it’s spring, summer or autumn, I wondered what others considered as their five favourite patterns?

Searching memory here. Cat's whisker in green/white; Marabou montana, either green/black or orange/black; blob in orange. Ridiculously effective at times. Once saw a brown trout scoop a stationary one up off the bottom; Booby, time and place. Fast sinking line and super slow retrieve; Various buzzers. Nothing very traditional here, but I like catching fish. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

these are my weapons of choice.........i call them "snot bugs"...........and they work....not very artistic.......more autistic.........when they get wet they become translusant

snot bugs et al 003tn_.JPG

snot bugs et al 004tn_.JPG

snot bugs et al 005tn_.JPG

snot bugs et al 006tn_.JPG

snot bugs et al 007tn_.JPG

snot bugs et al 008tn_.JPG

~~~~!!!!!y ugly but effective. 

My favorite if the conditions are right on a lake/reser would be a white muddler skipped across the tops of the waves. You miss two out of three strikes but it does get the nerves jangling.  Took a limit at Blagdon in 30 mins doing this and a guy on the bank called the warden because he thought I must be cheating.

Small brook/river I am/was a dry fly man and almost always fished size 16 or 18 reverse tied dries .... in other words the hackle is tied on the bend and the tail sticks out over the eye. I also tied my mayflies this way.  I won best fly in the Fly Fishing and Tying mag many moons ago for my Pink Lady Mayfly which then got mass produced and I got royalties for a while. That fly has caught me and friends a lot of trout on small streams, so that has to be a favorite also.

BUT there are

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

these are my weapons of choice.........i call them "snot bugs"...........and they work....not very artistic.......more autistic.........when they get wet they become translusant

snot bugs et al 003tn_.JPG

snot bugs et al 004tn_.JPG

snot bugs et al 007tn_.JPG

Amazing! Creepy as heck but fabulous work. What do you make them out of, @ditchman Or is that a trade secret? I'd guess some kind of synthetic rubber.

27 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Amazing! Creepy as heck but fabulous work. What do you make them out of, @ditchman Or is that a trade secret? I'd guess some kind of synthetic rubber.

piece of flat glass...........paint copedex glue on it....let it dry....cut it into strips.....then roll it like a bogie and feed bits of hair into one end ...and maybe mark it before you roll it with a marker pen..............then split the end with a scapul and lay the hook in a squeeze together

job done ...............how easy is that ?

EDIT:...........you can make awesome mayflies useing that method.........i have in the past made the wings from clear plastic and then trimmed to shape and size .....try it .......:good:

Edited by ditchman

32 minutes ago, ditchman said:

piece of flat glass...........paint copedex glue on it....let it dry....cut it into strips.....then roll it like a bogie and feed bits of hair into one end ...and maybe mark it before you roll it with a marker pen..............then split the end with a scapul and lay the hook in a squeeze together

EDIT:...........you can make awesome mayflies useing that method.........i have in the past made the wings from clear plastic and then trimmed to shape and size .....try it .......:good:

I am in awe at your craftsmanship. 

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

Saw that demonstrated about thirty years ago making mayfly for Lough Corrib I think it was. Amazingly realistic, like yours.

my favourites are

diawl bach

marabouu damsel

bivisible sedge

black pennel

pheasant tail nymph

On 22/09/2021 at 11:11, Walker570 said:

~~~~!!!!!y ugly but effective. 

My favorite if the conditions are right on a lake/reser would be a white muddler skipped across the tops of the waves. You miss two out of three strikes but it does get the nerves jangling.  Took a limit at Blagdon in 30 mins doing this and a guy on the bank called the warden because he thought I must be cheating.

Small brook/river I am/was a dry fly man and almost always fished size 16 or 18 reverse tied dries .... in other words the hackle is tied on the bend and the tail sticks out over the eye. I also tied my mayflies this way.  I won best fly in the Fly Fishing and Tying mag many moons ago for my Pink Lady Mayfly which then got mass produced and I got royalties for a while. That fly has caught me and friends a lot of trout on small streams, so that has to be a favorite also.

BUT there are

Hello, that sounds interesting on your mayfly, a lot of trout flies were copied and taken by those so called experts in the 1970/80s as their own, have you a photo of your pink lady trout fly, ??

Edited by oldypigeonpopper