Blue Fin Tuna

ditchman

Im a bit confused...........(normal for Norfolk)

everybody is whooping and doing cartwheels about Blue fin tuna in UK waters..........are you with me so far..?

it is being stated everywhere that the reason for this ....is CLIMATE CHANGE..........:hmm:Hhmmmmmmmmmm

im sure Hardy fishing rod and reel and gun maker made what was called "the grimsby" Tuna fishing reel back in the 1920's and later in the 1930's and just after the war Ernst Hemingway fished British waters where Tuna reached massive sizes...and then slowly dissapeared as herring and mackeral and sprat fishing exploded (Bait fish) for the animal protien food industry......so the Tuna left.........

i believe they are returning because the catching of all Bait fish is tightly controlled and are now in enough numbers to attract the Blue fin back

SO WHY ARE THEY BANGING ON ABOUT BLOODY CLIMATE CHANGE EH !:mad:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

everybody is whooping and doing cartwheels about Blue fin tuna in UK waters..........are you with me so far..?

it is being stated everywhere that the reason for this ....is CLIMATE CHANGE..........Hhmmmmmmmmmm

im sure Hardy fishing rod and reel and gun maker made what was called "the grimsby" Tuna fishing reel back in the 1920's and later in the 1930's and just after the war Ernst Hemingway fished British waters where Tuna reached massive sizes...and then slowly dissapeared as herring and mackeral and sprat fishing exploded (Bait fish) for the animal protien food industry......so the Tuna left.........

i believe they are returning because the catching of all Bait fish is tightly controlled and are now in enough numbers to attract the Blue fin back

SO WHY ARE THEY BANGING ON ABOUT BLOODY CLIMATE CHANGE EH !

Sadly, the tuna didn't just leave. They disappeared because of massive overfishing, not specifically in UK waters, but further across Europe and South to Africa. Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (ABT) were caught in vast numbers, and eventually the inevitable happened and the stock levels disintegrated. They're now back because quotas for ABT are strictly controlled (the UK has no quota at all, although that might be changing in the next few years), the management of the species is driven by recovery and species data, rather than profit margins, and the fines for illegal take are bigger and actually enforced. The minimum weight was also massively increased; it became illegal to land fish below spawning age and each fish had to be over 30kg (up from 6kg, I think). Safe zones were also set up in critical spawning grounds in the Med, further increasing the chances for a larger, healthier breeding population. But this has all happened in the last 15 years or so. It's not specifically to do with availability of prey items; the baitfish have always been there in high enough numbers, it's just now the ABT are back too.

But climate change is important in the cycle too. It's one of the species that has benefitted from rising temperatures. Warmer years generally mean improved hatch survival rates. So as the seas warm, these years become more frequent. ABT isn't the only species to benefit. Many tropical species are expanding their ranges north. In 2003 a triggerfish being caught made the national news. Now even idiots like me have caught them off the kayak! We're also seeing larger waders more than we used to. 30 years ago, a little egret was a rare thing indeed. Now we have Little, great white, cattle egrets, as well as ibis, spoonbills and storks all massively more common - and breeding.

But the flipside is those fish that prefer colder waters are having their habitable range shrunk, most notably cod and haddock. As sea temps rise, they're getting pushed further north - another thing to contend with along with the fishing pressure.

Edited by chrisjpainter

To add to the stramash, I wonder why so many guillemots are dying off? I have until recently seen good shoals of bait fish on my fish finder yet yesterday I saw several dead guillemots on the beach and on the water, they're also coming very close in, in the surf line, to fish. I am confused as there were plenty of codling coalfish, mackerel and Pollock about and none were emaciated?

1 hour ago, henry d said:

To add to the stramash, I wonder why so many guillemots are dying off? I have until recently seen good shoals of bait fish on my fish finder yet yesterday I saw several dead guillemots on the beach and on the water, they're also coming very close in, in the surf line, to fish. I am confused as there were plenty of codling coalfish, mackerel and Pollock about and none were emaciated?

it comes from a "source" that states there have been several toxic algea blooms of recent and has affected other sea birds as well............

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

it comes from a "source" that states there have been several toxic algea blooms of recent and has affected other sea birds as well............

That's highly possible. There was a massive one earlier on in the year in The Minch, making it a no-go area for swimmers and kayakers. That was big enough to be picked up by satellites 

adwa.JPG.f94bf6e71a797ffc7fdc2795e9246727.JPG

Photo: The Herald, June 2021

1 hour ago, steve s×s said:

We are fed this rubbish on a daily basis and the vast majority of people swallow it like the good citizens that they are, things will only get worse 

What rubbish? Global warming, if it is not true then why are we getting more exotica coming here to stay, trigger fish, sea bream species (now being caught in Scotland), bass becoming more common in the north? Swordfish in the firth of forth, sunfish off Roker pier, bonito...

37 minutes ago, henry d said:

What rubbish? Global warming, if it is not true then why are we getting more exotica coming here to stay, trigger fish, sea bream species (now being caught in Scotland), bass becoming more common in the north? Swordfish in the firth of forth, sunfish off Roker pier, bonito...

Oooooh aren't the expert 🤣

3 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

It's called knowledge. Don't knock it; it comes in handy when you're trying to talk about something...Like when someone tries to say the EA is doing nothing in their area, only for it to be shown after 5 mins of googling that a shed load's being done and lots of it is to protect and conserve fish populations...for example.

1 hour ago, steve s×s said:

No, just take in what I see, hear and read then compare and contrast the info rather than throw in an offhand comment with nothing to support it.

If people want to check out some recent science "big yellow" on WSF has recently posted about tagging of ABT which is interesting if you don't go into the rest of the posts which are corrections to minor points.

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Would Attenborough be considered a reliable source?

I remember watching this episode on TV the inference was that the bears were forced to hunt Bulugas and that trees were now growing where a short while ago there was ice. It was clear the trees were mature and Buluga have always been on the menu. to be fair Attenborough did the voice over

https://polarbearscience.com/2019/11/30/bbcs-one-planet-falsely-claims-that-polar-bears-hunting-whales-from-shore-is-an-unprecedented-effect-of-climate-change/

Edited by islandgun

5 minutes ago, islandgun said:

https://polarbearscience.com/.....I remember watching this episode on TV the inference was that the bears were forced to hunt Bulugas and that trees were now growing where a short while ago there was ice. It was clear the trees were mature and Buluga have always been on the menu. to be fair Attenborough did the voice over

Pinch of salt time though. Dr Susan Crockford's papers are never open to peer review, a Greenpeace investigation showed that any internal review system was far from academic or even coherent, she's receiving payments from climate change denial thinktanks and she has no formal expertise in polar bears and polar bear research.

That doesn't mean she's wrong, but it does mean that her work looks...scientifically suspect.

36 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Pinch of salt time though. Dr Susan Crockford's papers are never open to peer review, a Greenpeace investigation showed that any internal review system was far from academic or even coherent, she's receiving payments from climate change denial thinktanks and she has no formal expertise in polar bears and polar bear research.

That doesn't mean she's wrong, but it does mean that her work looks...scientifically suspect.

Wrong link, cant copy relevant link. My reply was to Smokers question about Attenborough, I was appalled watching the programme [blue planet i think] when they stated that the bears were forced to catch Buluga and live amongst the forest which had sprouted since the ice left. these facts were/are untrue. I have always loved Attenboroughs work with the Life of Plants actually being a game changer for me and was annoyed that they thought a few lies would be ok. A quick search reveals a holiday option.https://adventures.com/canada/tours/activities/wildlife-watching/birds-bears-belugas/

19 hours ago, ditchman said:

it is being stated everywhere that the reason for this ....is CLIMATE CHANGE..........Hhmmmmmmmmmm

SO WHY ARE THEY BANGING ON ABOUT BLOODY CLIMATE CHANGE EH !

Exactly so, I remember a huge one in a case at a seaside venue many years ago, just can't remember where?

The Spanish have the biggest fleet of the largest boats I believe?

Edited by old man

6 hours ago, henry d said:

Not this again surely, the planet has warmed  and cooled many times in the past?

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Would Attenborough be considered a reliable source?

Sadly he is probably responsible for more climate damage than the average pleb?

4 minutes ago, old man said:

Not this again surely, the planet has warmed  and cooled many times in the past?

Sadly he is probably responsible for more climate damage than the average pleb?

Yes but not this rapidly. We're due another warming cycle in the future, but the interglacial period we're in is meant to last another 100,000 years. That's without man's intervention though. In human terms what's happening now is akin to turning up to an interview early...2 days early. The earth cycles between glacial and greenhouse, but human input's greatly accelerated the process.