Blue Fin Tuna

ditchman

1 hour ago, oneshot1979 said:

5 or 6 years ago I was involved with a TV project off the North Devon coast. It involved trawling a dead whale out to an area between Lundy island and the south of Ireland, the idea being if you want to catch big fish, use big bait! The team had been tracking a female Great White for a number of years that migrated across the Atlantic towards the target area but always turned south just before she reached the Irish deep. The program was fronted by Ben Fogal and can probably be found online. Talking to the crew on their return they were astounded at the sheer volume of Blue sharks that the whale attracted, they were onto the carcass shortly after they left Lundy behind, the problem was though there where so many Blues they believe the numbers intimidated the Great White so she was never sighted. They sunk the whale at the end of the programme and left remote cameras to view the carcass as it was consumed by all and sundry, I don't think the follow up programme was ever shown.

I watched that. I found the trailers very misleading to the show, and it was a bit of a waste of a great opportunity to bring the UK's sharks into the light a bit. The trailers spoke a lot of the great white, but then in the show they were at pains to mention that they didn't think it was going to show. 

I'd have rather they towed it out and then just talked blues for an hour. That would have been much better. Then I am biased, as blues are one of my two favourite sharks!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 05/10/2021 at 14:31, chrisjpainter said:

All deliberate lies? No, not really. Her formal qualifications are in evolution and spaciation, including particular focus on mammals and thyroid function as well as animal domestication. She is not a climatologist, nor does she have any qualifications or education in polar bears. none of her degrees studied either disciplines, so that's entirely fair.

"Crockford received her Bachelor of Science in Zoology at the University of British Columbia in 1976"

There are at least 10 papers on polar bears/ their populations from 2012 onwards, she's a respected expert.

"She is not a climatologist"   She doesn't pretend to be.

Why did Greenpeace laughably try to smear her?

3 hours ago, Nial said:

"Crockford received her Bachelor of Science in Zoology at the University of British Columbia in 1976"

There are at least 10 papers on polar bears/ their populations from 2012 onwards, she's a respected expert.

"She is not a climatologist"   She doesn't pretend to be.

Why did Greenpeace laughably try to smear her?

She might be a respected expert in her area of expertise (evolutionary biology and dogs) but her work on polar bears is scientifically suspect as shown by this sort of thing cropping up when you chase down her publications

image.png.7d273c7d0d6b26f92cbd49fb3c1b7dff.png

That link is directly from Polar Bear Science, it's not fudged. Her own website is pointing to the evidence of the lack of peer reviewing.

Also, the locations of her papers (again, taken from the Polar Bear Science website) are decidedly questionable. Is a Cowboy magazine really the place to go for in-depth, peer reviewed scientific research? 

image.png.44a8bf72a82179a32f5e5efca03672cf.png

She doesn't claim to be a climatologist and she shouldn't claim to be a climatologist, it's just a shame that her work is so often treated as such by those who look to refute the science behind climate change. Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the likes of the GWPF to find actual climatologists to relentlessly quote for their scientific evidence and not someone who's not a climatologist and who's academic expertise lie in evolutionary science?