Sold my van, now problems with the buyer

owain

6 hours ago, owain said:

No I haven’t seen it since I sold it. But I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there is nothing wrong with it and he just wants a bit of cash back. 
He told me he had insured it before he picked it up, but it’s still showing as no tax or insurance.

That’s a really sneaky trick to play on your boy, some people really have got the face for anything. 

I don't believe there's anything wrong with it. I reckon he's pulling a fast one, but don't ask for evidence, or he'll only go and break it deliberately and put you in a more awkward position. Two options really: block-delete-ignore or keep ever little text and communiqué you have as proof and let it rumble on until you're vindicated in court if he chooses to take it that far. 

He's not got a leg to stand on legally, so it'd be in both your best interests to just leave it and move on. 

But like I said, I reckon the motor's fine and he's just a jerk after some cash.

12 hours ago, Bigbob said:

This is why when i scrapped my truck i sold it to we buy any car i took a hit off them as i still reckon i could of sold it for double what they gave me , but now its there problem and nobody will be calling me or coming to the door 

Almost any complete car is worth £200 for scrap. 

Cheers for the advice guys, I heard nothing off him yesterday. 
Then got a text this morning with a screen shot off his mechanic friend, saying that the clutches out of euro car parts are all rubbish and he wouldn’t fit one. So he was asking for a price to supply and fit.

I haven’t replied to his last 5 or so messages. I’ll wait till he starts demanding money then block and keep the texts I think.

Basically, this :

It was sold as seen, as a private sale. No warranty, as you are a private seller, not a motor trader.

He has already made one deliberate attempt to defraud you by claiming that the turbo had gone, suddenly when he gets knocked back it's not the turbo, but something else instead.

As such, any further attempt by him to extort money will result in you taking the matter to the police for attempted fraud.

If he wishes to bring a claim against you in court, with an independent engineer's report (by a professional motor engineer from the approved panel) then he is of course welcome to do so. However he should be aware that you will produce his initial false claim in court as evidence of how dishonest he is, and that any evidence he provides should be treated bearing that in mind.

In short you either hear from the court, from his lawyer, or he gets stuffed.

Edited by robbiep

Second hand private sale (buyer beware) as long as it was described honestly in the advert and if it was running well and he was happy on the test drive I don't see an issue and I wouldn't worry too much, probably just trying it on. Lets be honest its a £1100 van, with 100K on the clock, mechanical issues are to be expected. Now different if its a £20k van with 5,000 on the clock, may have a case to defend, but then it is a private sale.

Been there and had similar with one at work,  in the end refunded £300 but that is only as the buyer started off on his own looking legitimate and when he turned up to collect it the rest of the family turned up in their transits children everywhere.  The last thing we wanted was the lot of them back causing grief.  
In your case stick it out and make sure you did the change of ownership bit properly! 

21 hours ago, robbiep said:

Basically, this :

It was sold as seen, as a private sale. No warranty, as you are a private seller, not a motor trader.

He has already made one deliberate attempt to defraud you by claiming that the turbo had gone, suddenly when he gets knocked back it's not the turbo, but something else instead.

As such, any further attempt by him to extort money will result in you taking the matter to the police for attempted fraud.

If he wishes to bring a claim against you in court, with an independent engineer's report (by a professional motor engineer from the approved panel) then he is of course welcome to do so. However he should be aware that you will produce his initial false claim in court as evidence of how dishonest he is, and that any evidence he provides should be treated bearing that in mind.

In short you either hear from the court, from his lawyer, or he gets stuffed.

Very well put, he hasn’t text today. But if he does I’ll be cutting and pasting that to him 👍

1 hour ago, db135 said:

I’ve bought and sold loads of vans over the years he’s paid his money and took his chance the same way we all do when buying anything of that age and condition! He sounds like a chancer to me 

Yeah me too. He’s had it a week now, I’ve blocked his number. 
I’ve wasted enough of my time on the loser. 

On 22/09/2021 at 11:15, Vince Green said:

this is exactly the reason I wont buy or sell vehicles privately

Made the mistake of letting my wife place a car we wanted to sell on Facebook. Scores of idiots asking if I would swap for all manner of carp or offering  ridiculously low amounts. The thought of any of these idiots coming to my house was too much. Never again.

4 hours ago, treetree said:

Made the mistake of letting my wife place a car we wanted to sell on Facebook. Scores of idiots asking if I would swap for all manner of carp or offering  ridiculously low amounts. The thought of any of these idiots coming to my house was too much. Never again.

I've got a mate in the motor trade, he has advertised on face ache marketplace and been offer all sorts of rubbish for cars he's advertised, play stations and skate boards, how do these fools think anyone will take them seriously..!!!