Fuel situation.

la bala

7 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Look at bursaries for nurses, cancelled! Nurses should run themselves into debt in order to qualify for a role that is vital in Society.

Completely agree that was a disgrace. We need to look at our culture of individual debt more widely in society. I had a competition in the office to see which of my young architects had the highest student debt. It was almost £80,000.00 🙈 for a job with a staring salary at £18k and typical top salary of £35k. 

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

The trouble is that this version of the Conservative party are against this kind of social engineering with their hyper-individualism. Look at bursaries for nurses, cancelled! Nurses should run themselves into debt in order to qualify for a role that is vital in Society. The argument pre-Brexit was that we couldn't fund courses for UK citizens because we would have to fund every foreigner who came in. And now that's changed, the ideology is laid bare. Completely free markets don't work for most people, Government is there to make guidance and regulation to offset market forces. 

Give me Conservatives circa 1950 over this lot. 

Absolutely agreed. It's something that was done until we joined the EU, now we're out there's no excuse and if this government won't do it, I'll vote for one that will. But so far I think Boris is doing the right thing although as walked up said. If like to do it cold turkey rather than the temp visa route. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

He’s earned it doing chores, getting paid pocket money like his big brothers then saving up to buy a toy. Just the same as any of us with a more formal job.

Your son may have, but there are many that haven't earned a penny, these do not pay into the system one iota, regardless of VAT.

It's like a shop keeper giving me some money, to spend in their shop.

You only pay in, if the money is earned.

Edited by Newbie to this

53 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

in helston they are still filling up now.going on like this the garages will be empty.

Capitalise Helston please - that's where I was born. :yay:

21 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Oh dear.

One last time, you cannot pay in, if you do not earn any money.

Purchase tax...

30 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

One last time, you cannot pay in, if you do not earn any money.

🙈 Tax is charged as money circulates, regardless of if you have an e.g. PAYE job. We need to put economics onto the syllabus to help people understand effective taxation rates and myriad of sources of tax revenue.

8 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes VAT is being paid, but not with their money, it's TAX Payer's money.

The government gives them other peoples money and the Tax man (government) takes some of it back in the way of VAT, and other duties.

They are still not paying in, they are taking out.

Ok I understand your perspective now, but that is a much deeper question. Those who are on benefits, such as pensioners, when buy a sandwich are they spending their money or not? 

40 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes VAT is being paid, but not with their money, it's TAX Payer's money.

The government gives them other peoples money and the Tax man (government) takes some of it back in the way of VAT, and other duties.

They are still not paying in, they are taking out.

Depending if the money they spend is pension money or money they have saved over the years that they earned.

Us old uns paid in a lot more than we get credit for if percentage of wage and cost of living is accounted for.  My first weeks wage was £3.3s&6d - can't remember how to write that now lol. A Morris oxford cost about £500 new.

Oh, and father let me have the 3&6

Edited by Dave-G

How the hell do you run a country if you don't collect taxes? Tell me please.  What annoys me is the scrubbers sucking on the front tit all the time and not making any efort to work and put anyhting back into the country.  There is a HGV driver shortage due to a bunch of foriegners clearing off back to their own countries because they didn't like the idea of being here out fo the EU well good riddance.  Students get their Uni fees paid up front and pay them abck when they get into paid work, this could be offered to drivers, where the £3000 or whatver charge for the test is due for repayment after the driver gets a job and could be fazed.    The problem is those out their....Millenials do they call them....don't want to drive trucks, they have been told by Blair , go to Uni and you will come out and be the Boss.

I still pay income tax on my pension and accept that as my contribution to running the country.   I also pay a serious amount in Local Council Tax and draw very little from that but a family of six up the road pay less because their house happens to be less valuable.   Bring back the Poll TAx and make evry person pay their fair share.

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the only trouble taking HGV drivers from the EU, many do not understand our rules on signs, speed, motorway driving, and parking let alone using a mobile phone, and understanding the English language, and the EU has a shortage of drivers to, why are we still going abroad to find nurses, ? The money spent on HS2 would go a long way to train 1000s of UK citizens, 

The big issue is we have left the EU to stand on our own. Now we need to get on and do it!!!!!!

Leaving was going to the land of milk and honey. Problem we have is we don't know where we are going so don't know which way to turn. Instead we stand in the corner dribbling, pointing fingers at everyone and everything else. 

On 24/09/2021 at 17:29, oowee said:

I am all for that but the effect will be a significant increase in living costs. We already have half the population saying they cannot survive now. Add in fuel price hikes and the truth of the situation starts to bite let alone the covid pay back costs. and the climate mitigation stuff. 

It all comes back to us living beyond our means. Living as though the world owes us. The rest of the world has moved on and we have stagnated. 

I say again, where is the plan? The current approach to decsions being made on a day to day basis is just not good enough. 

Yes. Well put.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

IMG-20210925-WA0020.jpg.39cac7c07964ca6a9581bc75d2a2ac08.jpg

Nice one, bring a bit of humour back in. 

Mods can the topic heading be changed to TAX and VAT payments please, it seems more in line with 95% of the posts. 

Went to the shooting show this morning, that was a waste of fuel i cant replace, looks like i'm walking to work now.

Anybody want to buy a truck ???

My lads just got back from work , and he said that the local petrol stations are all out of fuel now.

I spoke to a mate half an hour ago ( he drives a fuel tanker) . He said that his bosses have been paying £500 for an extra shift , for over two months now.