Fuel situation.

la bala

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was told today because of the covid and lockdown the fuel they had in storage tanks was nearing its shelf life date

who said anything about a mate telling me 

its common sense if more are buying fuel and tanks are empty on forecourts  then the storage tanks are being emptied glad your not a mate 🤔

Either someone told or you know because it is commonsense. One or the other.

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Was told today because of the covid and lockdown the fuel they had in storage tanks was nearing its shelf life date so an email was leaked and everyone went nuts so now the fuel has been used up 

As someone who works in the industry (and I believe we've had members who work in a refinery comment too), let me reassure you that this wheelie-bin-fire of a conspiracy theory has so many holes in it, it's laughable.

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

who said anything about a mate telling me 

As you say, whoever told you this wasn't your mate.  I suggest you keep it that way.

48 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I thought it was getting better but massive queues at Sterling Corner on the A1 last night

I think we need to differentiate here between queues and actual shortage.

At a filling station last night, they mentioned they'd had queues all day, but regular deliveries per schedule.  When I arrived at 22:30, there was neither queue nor restriction as to who much I could purchase.

I do hope OFCOM conducts an inquiry as to the media's role in whipping up this nonsense.  We know from very recent history how people behave when the media starts reporting shortages.  There is a line to be trodden between press freedom and fear mongering, and the broadcast media are so far over it they have to shout.

12 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I do hope OFCOM conducts an inquiry as to the media's role in whipping up this nonsense.  We know from very recent history how people behave when the media starts reporting shortages.  There is a line to be trodden between press freedom and fear mongering, and the broadcast media are so far over it they have to shout.

^^^This

And again.

22 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

As someone who works in the industry (and I believe we've had members who work in a refinery comment too), let me reassure you that this wheelie-bin-fire of a conspiracy theory has so many holes in it, it's laughable.

As you say, whoever told you this wasn't your mate.  I suggest you keep it that way.

At a filling station last night, they mentioned they'd had queues all day, but regular deliveries per schedule.  When I arrived at 22:30, there was neither queue nor restriction as to who much I could purchase.

But their whole business model is news, reporting on it as often and in depth as they can wring out of the opportunity. Endless opportunities for photos and slobber till something else comes along - maybe Greta Thurnberg will be next - again. Can't blame their success at reporting the news however unpleasant it may be for us - do you really want reporting restrictions about bad or even feeble news?

OOH look, a murdering coppers been sentenced - that'll probably do the job for a day or two, Then Labours Keir Starperformer

Edited by Dave-G

37 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This was a massive queue probably well over a hundred cars and completely snarled up the roundabout. That was at 7pm. It was still there when I came back about 9.30pm so I turned left at the roundabout instead of trying to cross the queue, .

My take on that is people don't queue like that unless they are desperate. I did a 13 mile journey each way and no other petrol  stations were open  

Edited by Vince Green

Road Haulage Assn are in the frame as the source of the scare story

Ministers have pointed the finger specifically at Rod McKenzie, the managing director of policy at the RHA. The Mail on Sunday reported that McKenzie is accused of “selectively leaking remarks made by a BP executive at a private government meeting”.Ministers have pointed the finger specifically at Rod McKenzie, the managing director of policy at the RHA. The Mail on Sunday reported that McKenzie is accused of “selectively leaking remarks made by a BP executive at a private government meeting”.

I would like to point out that Mr McKenzie is on record as being a staunch critic of Brexit which might explain his motivation 

Edited by Vince Green

35 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I do hope OFCOM conducts an inquiry as to the media's role in whipping up this nonsense.  

Agreed. I also hope Rod McKenzie and anyone else involved is also investigated by the appropriate powers for allegedly destabilising the countrys economic stability. If true I don't think you could get a more selfish act or bitterness by a remaniac

14 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

My take on that is people don't queue like that unless they are desperate.

I disagree.  There is a certain type of unthinking cretin who will see a media-induced-bandwagon and hop aboard.

Also, it's a cliché, but the British love nothing more than a queue up and a moan...

Stopped at a small unit in Darley Dale this lunchtime as I had less than 50 miles worth in my tank.  There was a £30 limit and only premium available but this would see me for 10 days or so ( a full tank lasts about 3 weeks).  The thing that I did notice was that despite the limit most of those on the other pumps were only putting in 5 /10 litres before the tank was full (you could hear the clunk).

It would appear to be this idiocy/greed or panic, whipped up by MSM and particularly BBC, that is causing the problem.

Just been in to Stamford. Only the Shell garage was open with fuel. £35 limit per transaction sign was prominent.

I joined the short (6 car) queue and waited for my turn, several people came up from their vehicles to ask me if I was waiting for fuel, not sure what they thought I was there for?

The chap in the Bentley in front of me put his fuel in and moved forward before paying.

I put £33 in my tank and moved forward to pay.

There is definitely a problem with fuel supply, but while people are sensible we can get on with things.

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

There is definitely a problem with fuel supply

There demonstrably isn't.  Demand has outstripped capacity in certain parts of the country due to...

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

but while people are sensible we can get on with things.

A complete absence of this.

Certain parts of the media, one suspects still not over Brexit, look for the merest hint of issues, viz. BP being a few drivers short due to worsening their T&Cs to the point they lose staff, and blow it out of all proportion.

As someone said, Keir Starmer and his apparent not-paying-attention in biology classes as to what Gender is equipped with a hoo-haa and which with a set danglies, was not enough to divert the attention of the circus.

Where we really do have an energy supply issue is with gas, and by extension electricity.  That stupid Leo Di Caprio meme is going to feel pretty dated, pretty quick, if Vlad and his pals decide to play silly beggars.

Then we'll be queuing for petrol to run our generators.

Nipped to supermarket nearby and noticed the BP garage near had a tanker making delivery. Popped back in van and filled up with £106 of your finest diesel so i'll be fine Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday next week.

I need to ask my employer was their policy is when i am unable to get fuel (i work all over the place).

4 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I disagree.  There is a certain type of unthinking cretin who will see a media-induced-bandwagon and hop aboard.

Also, it's a cliché, but the British love nothing more than a queue up and a moan...

Also people like my daughter who having returned from a last minute forced trip to Liverpool passed 5 closed fuel stations and got home with 4 miles of fuel remaining on the car computer?

23 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

It's going to stop at some point anyway. People only have so much capacity to store fuel. 

I am surprised it's still going there are only so many empty tanks. I dropped in the services at Membury today and they had fuel but no doubt the price was putting buyers off.