Fuel situation.

la bala

36 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am surprised it's still going there are only so many empty tanks. I dropped in the services at Membury today and they had fuel but no doubt the price was putting buyers off. 

I guess when you've got the best part of 40 million drivers all filling their tanks up at the same time rather than when they need to as normal, it must ad up to alot of fuel tankers. Your right, it's surprising, but it must end soon. 

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the news yesterday they said 70% of all petrol stations nationwide had fuel. Well that certainly wasn't true round here.

I wasn't looking for fuel but every one I drove past, including two supermarkets were closed for fuel, coned off.

I suspect some of them do have fuel but are holding on to it to drive prices up. 

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

On the news yesterday they said 70% of all petrol stations nationwide had fuel. Well that certainly wasn't true round here.

I have just returned from a 30 mile round trip to Worcester.  I pass 4 garages;

1. Petrol and diesel both available - short queue (2 or 3 cars) - can't recall brand.
  2. No fuel - BP
  3. Petrol and diesel both available, no queue, BP
  4. Petrol and diesel both available, no queue, Esso

I've just filled up, about a 20 minute queue, but mostly caused by people blocking the way to empty pumps queuing for a pump on the same side as the filler cap, and people queuing for the one pump that is pay at pump only, even though you can pay at all the pumps.

I think we have taken a giant leap backwards when it comes to people having common sense.

It has got better around here, although some garages have been empty for days. The Morrisons garage I used has almost had an uninterrupted supply. The queue last Friday (I walked into town), was out of the car park and down the road, at a guess 60ish cars, today it was about 15.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, oowee said:

That was brave. Turning up at a forecourt with a fuel can. :lol:

51 minutes ago, walshie said:

Did they suss you after your 12th visit this morning?

51 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Even braver to use E10 and not switch to Aspen or such like. 

I didn't go , I got my lad to fill my can on his way back from the gym 😅.

Aspen was on my mind this morning,  but the place where I bought the saw from , told me that they've never sold it ( despite the fact that I bought a gallon from them when I bought the saw) ,  and , the next nearest place that I could think of , would cost me two gallons of diesel , to collect the aspen . All things considered,  it was a right xxxx show.  I'll buy it online next time.

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

On an amusing note, in Northamptonshire twenty motorists followed a tanker for some miles today only to discover that it was full of mortar.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone need any bricks laying?  I'll need to get there quick....

Edited by Jim Neal

So I’ve been really struggling to get into this panic buying. I can’t be bothered with queues and always take my tank from full to fumes, pushing to see just how far “0 miles” really is. However I drove past a half empty petrol station on the way home tonight and decided to give into the fad so put £50 in. Sadly there was still no queue when I left and no fighting on the forecourt. 

Where am I best driving to to get a real sense of this shortage? 

Stopped off at the local Sainsburys on the off chance as car was getting very low and needed for work, luckily they had diesel in and no que so filled that bad boy up, then popped back in the truck and put half a tank in so now got enough for hauling wood and shooting this weekend. Just having me breakfast then out and about for the day. 👍😀

Edited by powler

Any body else see the Mortar Tanker Driver who was followed by 20 cars in his big white unmarked tanker carrying MORTAR.

When he had to stop, one of the drivers apparently asked him which fuel station he was going to?

He replied, I don't need fuel, I filled up earlier.

The car driver then asked him where he was delivering his fuel?

To which the driver pointed out he was carrying MORTAR!

What a crazy world.:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

So I’ve been really struggling to get into this panic buying. I can’t be bothered with queues and always take my tank from full to fumes, pushing to see just how far “0 miles” really is. However I drove past a half empty petrol station on the way home tonight and decided to give into the fad so put £50 in. Sadly there was still no queue when I left and no fighting on the forecourt. 

Where am I best driving to to get a real sense of this shortage? 

To be fair, I don't think you sticking £50 in is giving in to the fad. I'd say that's pretty reasonable as you must have been getting low. I've carried on as normal and had no issues so far, if anything I've waited longer than normal between filling up as I don't like wasting time in a que, so wait until I find a filling station without one. 

So, according to today's news, the army are actually going to be deployed, having had sufficient trainimg in fuel handling.

What's the betting that there will be a mass exodus of army trained drivers into very well paid civilian tanker jobs

decieded to risk it going to acle to get fuel and shopping...this would be my last trip out due to fuel......fuel not at acle...so did enough shopping at the butchers and the co-op to last me a week....come out of acle past the bp garage.....tanker had arrived,,,,cars qued up out of the station .....down the road.....thro the rounderbout....and up the duel carrigeway...............nice big cars jag estates rqange rovers big beemers volvo's

in times gone by this crisis would have brought the govt' down..........everything they seem to do is too little too late

so im back home again locked up for another 4-5 days....it is so unfair

Our village station has imposed a £30 min/max limit.

They could be onto a winner as far as making money out of those who aren’t able to take on board the full £30’s worth. But I think they will loose customers in the long run due to this.

Next village is selling to ‘regulars’ only. 

15 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I didn't go , I got my lad to fill my can on his way back from the gym 😅.

Aspen was on my mind this morning,  but the place where I bought the saw from , told me that they've never sold it ( despite the fact that I bought a gallon from them when I bought the saw) ,  and , the next nearest place that I could think of , would cost me two gallons of diesel , to collect the aspen . All things considered,  it was a right xxxx show.  I'll buy it online next time.

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/where-to-buy/

Wife collected her Discovery Sport from being serviced yesterday, having not refuelled since before the shortage in order to leave the car at the garage as empty as possible. She went straight to the nearest filling station, which happened to be a Tesco’s. No queque and the normal £95 card in slot limit.

There is the story of the man out looking for fuel found a petrol station open but the queue was horrendous. So he drove past the garage, dropped his wife off, gave her a hi viz vest and a big bit of cardboard. On the cardboard he wrote DEiSEL ONLY.in marker pen

He then told her walk down the queue showing  the board to each driver in turn while he drove round the block and joined the back of the now much shorter queue. When his wife got down to him she took off the hi viz and got back in the car.