Fuel situation.

la bala

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dropped my daughter to work yesterday about midday  she wanted snack food for break dropped into sainsburys on the a45 at canley    two cars on the pumps out of a *** dozen  however couldnt get parked in the shopping carpark had to keep circling   maybe next weeks bare shelves    lets see

33 minutes ago, Scully said:

Just filled up at Morrison’s in Kendal this lunchtime, no problem. 
Maybe it’s a city thing? 🙂

I'm guessing, but I think it is a city - and in particular London thing. 

All the rules and regs on;

• Driving hours
  • Rest periods
  • Low emission zones
  • Congestion charges
  • Cycle lanes

mean that lorries (including tankers) have a really tough task meeting the various rules.  If you get stuck in traffic - you can't keep to your planned hours/break requirements.  If you have to stop to meet break rules, in cities, there are no places you can stop and take a break ..... etc.

Driving in London has never been pleasant, but even in a car, I find it really stressful with bloody cyclists crossing red lights, creeping past you in traffic when you are indicating left and unable to stop and check navigation.  Plus my car (2007 diesel) is now 'personna non grata' for emission reasons (apparently).  Other cities are getting to be as bad.

I know lorry and tanker drivers are used to regulations, but it all seems to me to stack up to make it an unpleasant task.

On 02/10/2021 at 10:45, walshie said:

Since Wednesday I've driven 400 miles into and around North Wales and back. I haven't seen one petrol station closed or any queues. 

I went to work last Monday and new I'd need fuel at some point but had enough for a couple of days.

3 or 4 garages didn't have diesel just unleaded or super duper unleaded,  I got fuel but there was a sign asking you to only put in £35 to ensure everyone had fuel, not a problem. 

There were two garages shut, lights off.

By the Thursday the local Asda was open and you could take what you wanted,  so I'd hardly call it a fuel shortage,  just muppets panicking and filling their cars when they'd normally use a tenner a week.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, matone said:

..so what happened to the fuel shortage and lack of tanker drivers,all forgotten about  now it seems,apart from a 10% increase in fuel prices driven by the `crisis`!!!!

I was thinking that today....there should be an enquiry into the cause ,I think it was avoidable.