A day with my 223 and side kick comparing bullets in a 12 to 14 mph wind.

simon6ppc

that would seriously screw my brain up...trying new bullets and loads..........my brain goes into meltdown when im forced to use a different cartridge:lol:

power to your elbow being able to seperate out thought from fact.............your dog was not happy....:lol:

great to see your preparation..:good:

2 hours ago, Cranfield said:

This is part of the preparation you must have to go through to ensure those long range kills.
Your accuracy is really impressive.

I use to hate sighting in a scope and trying new loads.

Thanks pal ye i do a lot of this type of testing to make those long shots especially one after the other i think some times some do not realise the testing about you have to do.

On 25/09/2021 at 22:04, ditchman said:

that would seriously screw my brain up...trying new bullets and loads..........my brain goes into meltdown when im forced to use a different cartridge:lol:

power to your elbow being able to seperate out thought from fact.............your dog was not happy....:lol:

great to see your preparation..:good:

Thanks Ditch in a funny kind of way i do enjoy this more than the actual hunting.

On 25/09/2021 at 19:13, silver fox 1 said:

Great shooting it just goes to show what can be achieved when you do your homework, I certainly wouldn’t fancy being a fox on your permission thanks for sharing

Lol cheers Silver.

On 25/09/2021 at 14:48, Lampwick said:

“Which for 400yrds I think is ok” 🤣 

It’s great as far as I’m concerned!! I could hardly see the target!! 👍

Lol cheers pal i could only see it through the scope 😂

7 hours ago, FOXCALLER said:

Hi mate, what powder do you use for the tmk. Is oal 2.260 for them.

Great shooting.

Cheers

I use an almost max load of vit 140 pal the COL in my rifle is 2.345 inch but this is a Sako 8 twist kind of designed for them, to be fair i have shot the TMKs at mag length around 2.275 and they still shot well just i had a bit more pressure so i knocked the load down. I use the 77s as well at a 1000 yards which impressed me on very calm days.

On 28/09/2021 at 21:29, FOXCALLER said:

Thanks Simon, I have a Howa heavy barrel in .223 with 8 twist, I'm not sure what length my chamber is will have to check.bullets are hard to get down with us at the mo but I have managed to get some 60 grain v max to give a try. Will let you know how they go.

Cheers

Ye do my friend.

On 29/09/2021 at 18:30, old man said:

Very impressive Simon.

Thanks young chap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2021 at 20:38, magman said:

use the 55 grn blitzkings through my tikka 223 1 in 8 twist and never swapped from the day i bought it using 25.1 grn of h4895 and ive got a tub or two left thankfully .

Great to see the 223 on show as to many think speed is the key 22.250 ??

Thanks pal ye you are right folk do think speed kills but its accuracy, my friend has a 22.250 and one day we did a test right out to 750 yards and my 8 twist 223 out shot it past around 400 yards with the 69 grain bullets, the 22.250 was only shooting 55s mind ya but my bullet doing 2950 ftps out shot the 22.250 doing 3650 ftps. Saying this the 22.250 is a top fox calibre with out a doubt. 

2 hours ago, simon6ppc said:

Thanks pal ye you are right folk do think speed kills but its accuracy, my friend has a 22.250 and one day we did a test right out to 750 yards and my 8 twist 223 out shot it past around 400 yards with the 69 grain bullets, the 22.250 was only shooting 55s mind ya but my bullet doing 2950 ftps out shot the 22.250 doing 3650 ftps. Saying this the 22.250 is a top fox calibre with out a doubt. 

Agreed 👍

• 2 months later...
On 01/10/2021 at 20:38, magman said:

use the 55 grn blitzkings through my tikka 223 1 in 8 twist and never swapped from the day i bought it using 25.1 grn of h4895 and ive got a tub or two left thankfully .

Great to see the 223 on show as to many think speed is the key 22.250 ??

Similar to me Magman. Tikka T3 1 in 8 twist, 25.1 grains of Viht N135 with a Hornady 55 V-Max. Around 3200 fps and very accurate. Although recently I have been messing about with the 53 V-Max and Vhit N133, BL-C 2. BL-C 2 seems to be the better but its a pain to measure out compared to Vhit..

On 08/01/2022 at 11:31, claydodger said:

Watched again, excellent shooting

Thanks mate.

On 09/01/2022 at 15:48, 7daysinaweek said:

Excelllent video Simon.

I found myself sat here holding my breath and exhaling on you taking those shots.

I too, respect your commitment and skill in such things. 

Superb!

atb

7diaw

Lol cheers mate ye loads say this when watching i even do it my self 😂

18 hours ago, jall25 said:

Brilliant

What mag do you have the scope on please?

I use 24x pal the max magnification. 

Good shooting Simon, I have .223 with a 1:8 twist, its such a versatile calibre. I too do a lot of testing and it's very satisfying when it all comes together.

I shoot 40 Vmax 50 Vmax and 77 TMKs and it shoots them all very well. I have 22.250 and .243 and 6.5 CM but the .223 is the one I use most because it's very easy and cheap to load for.

Love to stretch it's legs when time allows. Love watching your video's and If i remember rightly your a fellow Rapid 7 owner.

Give Jack a pat on the head from me, I have a Lab X collie, he's mostly Lab and about the same age as Jack, his name is Murphy he's a patient steady old boy now, but he's still got a good nose on him and gets a strop on sometimes when I go out with out him. Just starting on the Rats my way now, seems plenty about this year.

anyway good luck for the New year and keep doing the video's

On 11/01/2022 at 07:26, Kev1gun said:

Good shooting Simon, I have .223 with a 1:8 twist, its such a versatile calibre. I too do a lot of testing and it's very satisfying when it all comes together.

I shoot 40 Vmax 50 Vmax and 77 TMKs and it shoots them all very well. I have 22.250 and .243 and 6.5 CM but the .223 is the one I use most because it's very easy and cheap to load for.

Love to stretch it's legs when time allows. Love watching your video's and If i remember rightly your a fellow Rapid 7 owner.

Give Jack a pat on the head from me, I have a Lab X collie, he's mostly Lab and about the same age as Jack, his name is Murphy he's a patient steady old boy now, but he's still got a good nose on him and gets a strop on sometimes when I go out with out him. Just starting on the Rats my way now, seems plenty about this year.

anyway good luck for the New year and keep doing the video's

Thank you Kev ye i still have the Rapid and ya know still the best air rifle i have ever owned, also that 8 twist 223 really has blown me away with its accuracy with the heavy bullets at range, don't get me wrong i don't always shoot that good with it but the day i filmed i did lol, also ye the rats i just love shooting them with 12 ftlb air rifles it gets no better lol.

Edited by simon6ppc

On 13/01/2022 at 04:41, simon6ppc said:

Thank you Kev ye i still have the Rapid and ya know still the best air rifle i have ever owned, also that 8 twist 223 really has blown me away with its accuracy with the heavy bullets at range, don't get me wrong i don't always shoot that good with it but the day i filmed i did lol, also ye the rats i just love shooting them with 12 ftlb air rifles it gets no better lol.

Yes.223 is a cracking calibre, I load a few different rounds for mine, I use a 40 Vmax, and everyone tells me that it's too fast a twist for the 40 grain It's shoots like a laser though, I've shot Dozens of Rabbits and over 50 Foxes last year ,I'm not up there with you yet, but I have had a couple of 400 yard Rabbits, as you know it's easy enough if you've done your Homework.