Advantages of a PCP over a springer?

Cumbrian

41 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

What bsa? Ultra se? Check the power, mine was 10.3 out the box. 

The silencer would be fine as long as its not calibre specific which I doubt. It won't be as effective as a hw silencer, which are like rocking horse **** atm. 

Many thanks for your post. And may I thank all the others that have contributed in the few days since I stupidly neglected to continue checking for additional replies? All much appreciated.

The power question is a bit awkward as I do not have a chronograph. Perhaps a pragmatic test with an old telephone directory or similar, or a thick plank of pine, and using my HW97 as the benchmark would be a satisfactory substitute? I know that my HW will make quite a mess of an inch of pine. It is nicely run in and I use only good quality pellets e.g. Diabolo Exact.

2 hours ago, Cumbrian said:

That is not good news. I have omitted to look in on this forum since this was posted until now. Actually, I bought a new BSA .22 today. I gather that the cylinder is the weak point, so I will look out for that. I suppose that if it proves perpetually faulty I might be able to get a full refund. However, I am hoping for the best. The rifle is just the right weight and feels well balanced. It came with a fully charged cylinder, so I will keep a careful count of the shots I take and if the number falls well short of the 50-60 full power ones that I would expect from manufacturer's claim of 62, then I suppose I shall know that I have a dud.

Just at the moment, the main problem is that I cannot obtain a Weihrauch silencer, so I am thinking of using a Swift (Richard Pope) moderator that I have on my CZ .22 rimfire. It works brilliantly well on the CZ. Can anyone tell me whether there is any reason why I should not use it on the BSA? Would the much slower pellet compared to a .22 rimfire bullet cause any problems? Grateful for advice.

Hopefully everything will be fine, a few do speak up because they have had problems but most will just get on with it because everything is fine. 

1 hour ago, Cumbrian said:

Many thanks for your post. And may I thank all the others that have contributed in the few days since I stupidly neglected to continue checking for additional replies? All much appreciated.

The power question is a bit awkward as I do not have a chronograph. Perhaps a pragmatic test with an old telephone directory or similar, or a thick plank of pine, and using my HW97 as the benchmark would be a satisfactory substitute? I know that my HW will make quite a mess of an inch of pine. It is nicely run in and I use only good quality pellets e.g. Diabolo Exact.

Where abouts in Cumbria are you? If you are?

You could shoot the same timber with both rifles but do you know what power the 97 is? The shop you bought the rifle from should be able to check the power for you.

25 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Hopefully everything will be fine, a few do speak up because they have had problems but most will just get on with it because everything is fine. 

Where abouts in Cumbria are you? If you are?

You could shoot the same timber with both rifles but do you know what power the 97 is? The shop you bought the rifle from should be able to check the power for you.

Thank you.

(My pseudonym relates to part of my family background, not to where I now live, I'm afraid.) I don't know the exact power of my HW97, but it is only run-in, as I understand the term as it relates to air rifles, i.e. about 300+ pellets through it. I bought it some years ago, second hand but virtually new from a dealer in Shaftesbury, lovely guy, now dead well before his time from cancer. Always seemed pretty powerful to me, but how do I know exactly.

Maybe I will need to have the BSA properly checked if I suspect anything amiss. For now, I guess I had better just shoot it and see. When the time comes - if it does - I might send it to John Bowkett, rather than BSA, especially if out of warranty.

32 minutes ago, Cumbrian said:

Thank you.

(My pseudonym relates to part of my family background, not to where I now live, I'm afraid.) I don't know the exact power of my HW97, but it is only run-in, as I understand the term as it relates to air rifles, i.e. about 300+ pellets through it. I bought it some years ago, second hand but virtually new from a dealer in Shaftesbury, lovely guy, now dead well before his time from cancer. Always seemed pretty powerful to me, but how do I know exactly.

Maybe I will need to have the BSA properly checked if I suspect anything amiss. For now, I guess I had better just shoot it and see. When the time comes - if it does - I might send it to John Bowkett, rather than BSA, especially if out of warranty.

Shaftesbury

About 5 mile away 

14 minutes ago, Cumbrian said:

Then maybe you will remember Michael and his small, quaint gunshop close to the centre. He dealt mostly in shotguns, especially Winchesters if he could get them.

To be honest I moved here after it closed. I remember the shop as such, as it still had signs and such in one of the windows, on the street with the butcher? Looked like a house? I emailed him about a airsporter which was still advertised only to find out he had passed away some time before. 

10 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

To be honest I moved here after it closed. I remember the shop as such, as it still had signs and such in one of the windows, on the street with the butcher? Looked like a house? I emailed him about a airsporter which was still advertised only to find out he had passed away some time before. 

Yes, that would be right. It was a house, with some rather nice panelling in the two rooms where he kept his guns. Very much one of a kind. Rotten luck to die at only 54.