10 Bore reloading with Bismuth.

Strong possibility i'll be purchasing a 10 Bore Aya double this week, it will come with what the owner describes as a shed load of lead cartridges. As i have no intention at all of doing inland stuff in Scotland, i would like to know if it is possible to open the cartridges remove the lead then replace with Bismuth shot. As the gun and carts are priced very reasonably the cost of the Bismuth shot is not an issue for me. The main questions are 1. can it be done, 2 can i increase/decrease shot size.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

3 hours ago, scobydog said:

Hi Dave,

These are factory rounds, definitely not reloads as I know he has never reloaded and only ever buys factory stuff. 

Regards scobydog 

In that case I would use them on clays and as said use the cases for reloads with a proper bismuth recipe. Given that bismuth has less density than lead loading by volume is not the way to go. Claygame have loads for bismuth I am sure as I have used it in the eight bore but prefer ITM. Call them.

all the Aya’s I know of are 3 1/2” chambers.

Hi scobydog decided what to do with your cartridges when you get them. Don’t just fire them. I don’t know if commercial loads are available in 10gauge bismuth . I think most people with 10gauge would load their own cartridges. If you’re a member of a wildfowling club maybe other members could give you advice on reloading ,and maybe reload some cartridges for you. I to had a AYA 10gauge and I reloaded for it. 

• 1 month later...