Steve Coogan to be Jimmy Savile...

chrisjpainter

Steve Coogan to play Jimmy Savile in BBC One drama - BBC News

I mean, this is surely a show that doesn't need to be made?! Of all the subjects to pick, especially as it's still pretty raw in recent history. I can't think the victims are all too happy about this

Edited by chrisjpainter

My initial reaction was to entirely agree with ....

11 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

this is surely a show that doesn't need to be made?! Of all the subjects to pick, especially as it's still pretty raw in recent history. I can't think the victims are all too happy about this

...... however - since I feel that other horrific incidents in history (such as the holocaust, various genocides etc.) should be taught as facts - simply to teach to heed the warnings from history, and to make clear the facts, maybe it does need to be made at some time?

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My initial reaction was to entirely agree with ....

...... however - since I feel that other horrific incidents in history (such as the holocaust, various genocides etc.) should be taught as facts - simply to teach to heed the warnings from history, and to make clear the facts, maybe it does need to be made at some time?

Aye there's the rub though. If you're making a drama you're already opening it up to director's interpretation, scriptwriters' egos, the production house's will etc...and the truth gets watered down or misinterpreted. How many times have you watched a film that's 'based on real events', but is so divorced from reality that it's a joke?

They have to make it accurate, but if they do, do you really want to be entertained by Jimmy Savile? Really? 

A full blown Panorama-type investigation, with witness statements, tough interview questions and real soul-searching is all that should be done to such a monster's story. 

Can you imagine a TV drama being done so quickly after the Moors Murders, Shipman, or even Ian Huntley? 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I wonder if the BBC drama will highlight their own role in protecting Savile. I suspect it will be glossed over.

I was going to say exactly this.

Would be better if it was made by one of their rivals, to try and expose the real truth!! 

Maybe that's why they are making it themselves?! They can control the narrative. 

34 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I was going to say exactly this.

Would be better if it was made by one of their rivals, to try and expose the real truth!! 

Maybe that's why they are making it themselves?! They can control the narrative. 

It's being produced by ITV Studios, but shown on BBC1. Odd combination

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I put my on post up on this not realising chris did earlier , it's utter criminal for the BBC to even think of making this Docu Drama, do they not understand the pain and suffering  that so many young people went through then and still do now, !!!!!

I can understand people’s reaction to this, the entire business is loathesome, and that also of the BBC’s role in it, but if you read the link it states that there has been much consulting of those impacted by Saville.
Its an important part of our social history and the attitudes common at that time which allowed him and people like him to flourish, and needs to be shown in my opinion.