Steve Coogan to be Jimmy Savile...

chrisjpainter

13 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

How about judging it after it’s aired.

Just a thought …

Usually I'd agree, but the fact the BBC are going to broadcast it after being at least partly responsible for all of that ville creatures victims being abused. It'd be like a group of people committing murder then trusting them to make up the jury for the trial. 

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

I can understand people’s reaction to this, the entire business is loathesome, and that also of the BBC’s role in it, but if you read the link it states that there has been much consulting of those impacted by Saville.
Its an important part of our social history and the attitudes common at that time which allowed him and people like him to flourish, and needs to be shown in my opinion. 

Hello, good post Scully, I can only add if ITV are involved in making this Docu Drama, is it not better to be shown on ITV ?

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, good post Scully, I can only add if ITV are involved in making this Docu Drama, is it not better to be shown on ITV ?

Perhaps, I don’t know really? The Beeb will be judged either way, and won’t come out of this smelling of roses. They will be under immense pressure to get this right, as they will attract much criticism if it is perceived they are hanging back in any way. 
It will be interesting to see how their TOTP colleagues, TV producers etc are portrayed ( if at all ) as I’m not sure you can tell the entire story but gloss over the fact others who worked with him must have known but looked the other way. 
Interesting time ahead. 

45 minutes ago, Scully said:

Perhaps, I don’t know really? The Beeb will be judged either way, and won’t come out of this smelling of roses. They will be under immense pressure to get this right, as they will attract much criticism if it is perceived they are hanging back in any way. 
It will be interesting to see how their TOTP colleagues, TV producers etc are portrayed ( if at all ) as I’m not sure you can tell the entire story but gloss over the fact others who worked with him must have known but looked the other way. 
Interesting time ahead. 

Will it show the lawyers telling the "victims" what to say to enhance their claims, I just can't help thinking this whole thing stinks, yes he was a weird individual But (I will now batton down the hatches) 

16 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

Will it show the lawyers telling the "victims" what to say to enhance their claims, I just can't help thinking this whole thing stinks, yes he was a weird individual But (I will now batton down the hatches) 

I have no idea. I'd like to see it in all its glory, warts and all with no punches pulled, but who knows? I would think it will be quite harrowing which ever way it's portrayed. It is without doubt one of our nations most insidious and shameful episodes, all aided and abetted by, along with a fear of repercussions, from the so called establishment. Truly despicable. 

Grooming happens in many forms, and Saville started a very long time ago in technology terms.

I think any help to showcase grooming and warning signs isn't necessarily bad. Even if it helps just 1 child, that is a result. 

It depends how it is documented that may be tasteless. 

May all the survivors take peace that others may not suffer the same, rather than continuing pain from seeing it.

Survivors, not victims. 

(nice definition of the above, which is how I intended it to be: Both terms have their place and serve different purposes. Although victim is a legal definition necessary within the criminal justice system, survivor can be used as a term of empowerment to convey that a person has started the healing process and may have gained a sense of peace in their life.)

Anything involving Jimmy Saville will be uncomfortable viewing.  It will be interesting to see how he managed to stay so famous , and how that enabled him to get away with things for so long , as he was the least talented person I've ever seen on a TV  screen.  He used to make me cringe long before his nasty little secrets came out.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, quite a few people who worked in the BBC at the knew what was going on yet fore what ever reason never spoke up against him, 

this is the truly worrying thing............like a dark sub-culture.........and money was at the heart of it...."keep yer gob shut and earn loads of money......."

4 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Anything involving Jimmy Saville will be uncomfortable viewing.  It will be interesting to see how he managed to stay so famous , and how that enabled him to get away with things for so long , as he was the least talented person I've ever seen on a TV  screen.  He used to make me cringe long before his nasty little secrets came out.

My thoughts entirely, having never met him and after only seeing him on TV I said to my wife just see what is said or happens after his passing as it was so clear he was capable and had all the hallmarks.

It baffles me why people around him did not out  him. They are almost a guilty as him in my view.

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Have you never watched Ant and Dec?

Jimmy Saville made ant and Dec look like amazingly talented world class entertainers . 😅

Long before I knew anything about Jimmy Savilles perverted antics , I would see him on the TV from time to time , and all I thought was , what a conceited knob.

4 hours ago, Good shot? said:

My thoughts entirely, having never met him and after only seeing him on TV I said to my wife just see what is said or happens after his passing as it was so clear he was capable and had all the hallmarks.

It baffles me why people around him did not out  him. They are almost a guilty as him in my view.

I'm amazed that nobody ever punched the living xxxx out of the dirty old pervert . The rich and famous obviously have a very different set of morals compared to us normal folk.

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

this is the truly worrying thing............like a dark sub-culture.........and money was at the heart of it...."keep yer gob shut and earn loads of money......."

Esther Rantzen name came up as one who knew about his goings on,if that's true so much for Child line charity

9 hours ago, Good shot? said:

i think alot of folk breathed a sigh of relief at his passing :hmm:

When you look back he was a bit weird.  But it doesn't seem that long ago when he was top billing saturday evening viewing with stuff like " jim'll fix it"  no one seemed to see him for what he was.  There were police, royal marines and all sorts on the program.  And if you also think back to the carry on days, all of the kind of effeminate characters were just considered as funny oddball character actors rather than full blown types.  I remember Louis Theroux doing some sort of expose, trailling saville around and really getting under his skin.  Saville got right annoyed with him and eventually saville wouldn't continue with the programme and it sort of stopped without following it up or pushing the point.   An opportunity to out him before he keeled over.  Probably protected by the organisation and legal threats.

Edited by Minky

41 minutes ago, Minky said:

When you look back he was a bit weird.  But it doesn't seem that long ago when he was top billing saturday evening viewing with stuff like " jim'll fix it"  no one seemed to see him for what he was.  There were police, royal marines and all sorts on the program.  And if you also think back to the carry on days, all of the kind of effeminate characters were just considered as funny oddball character actors rather than full blown types.  I remember Louis Theroux doing some sort of expose, trailling saville around and really getting under his skin.  Saville got right annoyed with him and eventually saville wouldn't continue with the programme and it sort of stopped without following it up or pushing the point.   An opportunity to out him before he keeled over.  Probably protected by the organisation and legal threats.

A different era, maybe we as a nation weren't so tuned in to people like that as we are now, or maybe he was so overt with what he was up to the public just thought it couldn't be true. 

The BBC and those close to him must have known though. 

12 hours ago, Good shot? said:

It was in plain sight the whole time.  It was an open secret. 

On 27/09/2021 at 10:02, 12gauge82 said:

Usually I'd agree, but the fact the BBC are going to broadcast it after being at least partly responsible for all of that vile creature's victims being abused.

Indeed, the BBC have no business being involved in this, whatsoever.