HGV Driver can't find work

mgsontour

I'm posting this as I can't believe it myself. . . Obviously we have heard the country is in need of HGV drivers, so my neighbour packed in driving a few years ago to be with his family but is a bit skint, so big mouth me, says the current situation plays into his hands as an experienced driver, so he has gone out and updated all his tickets at truck school and can't get any work as no-one is hiring and the work that is available through what I suppose are agencies are offering £12-ish per hour which isn't far away from a general £10/hr offered for non professional jobs

This seems to ludicrous to me, so am asking you guys is the country really in need of drivers or is it another spin so our Government looks good in the news

Rant over but I'm really looking forwarding to hearing any comments

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The company my other half drives for (Class 1) are openly recruiting now. Trouble is, they are based in North Shropshire. No much good if your near Blackpool I know. 

That said, they do look after their drivers. They don't give new drivers the keys, pat them on the head and tell them to get on with it. She received the comprehensive driver induction they offer to all.

There is a driver shortage, been that way long before Brexit and the media scaremongering. You should be able to pick and choose with your skill set. Hope you find something 👍

Edited by Rockhamster

Yes the problem is most companies that employ HGV/LGV are still under the impression that they can still offer **** wages, **** hour of work, **** conditions and a workload that is unrealistic. The pool of cheap euro labour that used to allow employers to say that's the job, that's the wage take it or leave it. There are plenty that will take it if you don't. 

The Europeans that used to take this kind of work have now had to go home, It will take a little time for companies to realise that drivers are no longer 10 a penny even the unexperienced one's, sooner or later the penny will drop and they will tackle these issues.

As far as agencies go, they have always tried to pay drivers the cheapest rate they can get away with, it's traditional with them, it's how they maximize their income.

The trick is to say to agencies right from the off that you are not that desperate for work that you will do it for a **** rate. Depending on your skill and experience you can almost always negotiate a higher rate of pay especially if you have an additional skill or experience such as fork truck or moffett.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, sign on with several agencies and be open with the fact that you have done this, this shows them they have competition for your labour, give your P45 to the agency that passes you the most or best work.

My 2pence worth of advise based on a career of 40+ years as a commercial class 1 HGV driver, don't look for full time work in this industry yet, use it to make a little money whilst you find a proper job that will pay you the same wage but without all the ****.

Edited by Tonka54

Obviously company standards vary. Transport will never be a 9-5 job, days can be long and nights out a possibility. If you break it down the hourly rate isn't great but if it's what you do, you will do it regardless. 

Current other works four on - four off which suits. She occasionally gets a call if they are a driver down but she can refuse without repercussions. 

To all the delicate blossoms prodding a keyboard, it probably wouldn't suit. It's not for me either, but she loves it. 

Now is the time if your that way inclined 👍

4 years after retiring I still get agencies ringing and texting offering jobs. I've been offered between £11 & £19 per hour.

My old employer rings at least once a year to ask if I want to go back part time.

My employer before the one I retired from rings about every 6 months asking me to go back to train HGV drivers or work part time, even for cash in hand.

I always decline saying I'm retired/disabled and no longer hold any class of HGV licence or the ridiculous gubbins that goes with it. Driver CPC, digital card, and at least a dozen other "passport to work" type ID cards for ports, depots, works and sites that all need paying for. 

I wouldn't want to back on the road again anyway, too much expense to maintain my licence and far too much stress for little more than minimum wage.

I'm far too busy in retirement 😄

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The way I understand  it , is that the pay is terrible .the hours long .the conditions nasty and the risks too high .

No one want to drive have any more till those things change .

Even the cheap foreign  drivers don't want to anymore .

You and centrepin have hit the nail on the head.

There are companies out there that are offering incentives, they will take inexperienced drivers and train them (subject to the condition of tied employment) they will even offer cash incentives to entice drivers(again subject to conditions), some will offer eventual high wages of £500 to £600 per week , all very appealing but designed to catch out the unwary.

Most will find that a high wage is not based on skill or experience levels, or even shifts with unsocial hours of work, no!! the high wage usually equates to very long hours.

So the £500 to £600 per week in most cases is not based on a 37.5 to 40 hour week but a 55 to 60+ hour week. Not so good a wage is it. 

stobarts are recruiting and while based in carlisle they have depots all over the country,may be worth checking them out,im a retired hgv driver an its one of the worst jobs for hassle what with cops,drivers hours, ministry checking weights,bosses wanting you there yesterday,endless traffic ques thats take hours off your driving day.no thanks.

I drove for a small 1 owner haulage company back in the 90,s loved the job but God was he a tight fisted whatsit .

Got paid monthly and 1 particular month I was away loads not stop .

come payday goes into the office and he says ... Well this is the most I've ever paid any of my 6 drivers ... I thought wey hey ....got my pay packet put in my pocket and drove home . Got indoors looked at the pay packet and the get had put all my stoppy out nights money in and taxed me on it my total take home pay for the month was £518 .

I left shortly after and got a much better job driving for an engineering company ... Less hours better wages better vehicles

Edited by hodge911
Spelling correction

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

so clearly with no shortage of drivers we have the real story companies paying peanuts with poor working conditions same old story every time pure greed 

That's exactly the problem, it's a stressful job for little over minimum wage, drivers have finally decided to change trades (it'll happen in more trades too).

5 hours ago, hodge911 said:

I drove for a small 1 owner haulage company back in the 90,s loved the job but God was he a tight fisted whatsit .

Got paid monthly and 1 particular month I was away loads not stop .

come payday goes into the office and he says ... Well this is the most I've ever paid any of my 6 drivers ... I thought wet hey ....got my pay packet put in my pocket and drove home . Got indoors looked at the pay packet and the get had put all my stoppy out nights money in and taxed me on it my total take home pay for the month was £518 .

I left shortly after and got a much better job driving for an engineering company ... Less hours better wages better vehicles

Same thing happen to me back in the 80s, started with a company driving a Ford Transcontinental artic, boss says he pays on mileage, takes mileage beginning of week takes again at end of week pays so much a mile.

I will give it a go I says, so bright and early Monday morning delivery to south Wales then reload at Pembrook Dock. Monday evening see's me parked up at Pembrook waiting for a groupage load coming over from Ireland which all has to be cleared prior to leaving the docks. so rang boss who said wait for it. Long story short, sat there till Fri morning till it all cleared for loading and onward delivery.

Rang boss and gave him the news, said I would be late back to depot and arranged to pick wage packet up from the glove box of the shunter. 

Got back to find a note with my wage packet saying he had paid me for Monday and Friday only, rest of week was spent waiting at Pembrook, so no mileage for Tues, Wed, Thurs. 

Phoned him and told him that it was not my fault I had to wait for the load so I wanted paying, he refused so I took a lorry jack and a tool box from the garage and left a message saying they were in Lieu of payment and he could of course come and get them when he pays me what's owed, he paid I left.

Edited by Tonka54

It appears this fuel shortage has been caused by people connected to large haulage firms not wanting cheap foreign labour to come to an end. So after a meeting with government ministers, they leaked it to the press to cause a buying frenzy and the subsequent shortage, to try and pressurise them into allowing eu hgv driver ls to continue working in the UK and thus continue the low wages. 

38 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

It appears this fuel shortage has been caused by people connected to large haulage firms not wanting cheap foreign labour to come to an end. So after a meeting with government ministers, they leaked it to the press to cause a buying frenzy and the subsequent shortage, to try and pressurise them into allowing eu hgv driver ls to continue working in the UK and thus continue the low wages. 

I would not put it past them, I have to admit I am struggling to have any sort of faith in our government at the moment.

What with this recent lock down fiasco of "Doris" telling us all, the importance of "staying home and saving lives", then swanning off on a 10 mile bike ride, and his crony, as was, driving to Barnard castle to "test his eyesight", was'nt sure he would be able to manage it so the best thing to do is endanger my wife and kids by taking them along with me, yeah rrrright. 

then there is the business of falsely claimed expenses for properties that they are not living in and cleaning out duck ponds ect, ect.

It really is one rule for them and another for the rest of us. 

Edited by Tonka54

4 hours ago, Tonka54 said:

There are companies out there that are offering incentives, they will take inexperienced drivers and train them (subject to the condition of tied employment) they will even offer cash incentives to entice drivers(again subject to conditions), some will offer eventual high wages of £500 to £600 per week , all very appealing but designed to catch out the unwary.

Most will find that a high wage is not based on skill or experience levels, or even shifts with unsocial hours of work, no!! the high wage usually equates to very long hours.

So the £500 to £600 per week in most cases is not based on a 37.5 to 40 hour week but a 55 to 60+ hour week. Not so good a wage is it. 

4 hours ago, Tonka54 said:

In one job I had to work 72 hrs before going onto time and a 1/4. It was minimum wage and just £18 for a night out, pay your own parking. (Motorway parking was £21 a night at the time)

In another job I was mileage only on containers and had to cover 2000 miles a week to earn a bonus. First time I cracked 2000 he put it up to 2200. I didn't bother after that.

Another job was percentage of load.. I never cleared more than £330 despite working 5 1/2 days and spending 6 nights out.

I've worked several jobs as "self employed" now illegal I believe for that particular system. No work, no pay. No holiday pay, no sick pay etc.

My last job, I had to buy my own boots as my employer said HGV drivers are not required to drive in boots. If you get out of the cab on site, that's your look out. Google it, employers are not required to provide PPE for HGV drivers! I also had to pay for medicals, digital cards, licence renewal CPC training and any "cards" to allow me on site, ie: Peel Ports Liverpool £25 every 2 years. Fortunately Felixstowe was a free card as when on nights I used to do Sheffield to Felixstowe return, 5 nights in a row. 10 hours pay per night regardless of how long it took and no allowance for delays.

Why would any young person take that lot on now, they can earn as much in Maccy Ds or draw the same on the dole.

Shortage is: Top end is retiring and no-one wants to start at 21 years old with at least 46 years in front of a cab bunk 5 nights a week. 

I've just been talking about HGV driving to my son in law , as he's getting tempted by the 70k per year headlines. I've explained that I could scroll through my phone , and find a dozen mates with class1 HGV,  that are doing other jobs , because they can earn more money in other jobs , for doing less hours  , in better conditions , and without all of the grief and aggravation , that comes with lorry driving.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I've just been talking about HGV driving to my son in law , as he's getting tempted by the 70k per year headlines. I've explained that I could scroll through my phone , and find a dozen mates with class1 HGV,  that are doing other jobs , because they can earn more money in other jobs , for doing less hours  , in better conditions , and without all of the grief and aggravation , that comes with lorry driving.

Tell him to go on YouTube Mel, There are plenty of video's on the subject, covering the argument of both sides.

At least then he will be able to make an informed decision for himself, doesn't really help to try and talk the young out of anything nowadays, the saying is true, you just can't put an old head on young shoulders. 

8 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

stobarts are recruiting and while based in carlisle they have depots all over the country,may be worth checking them out,im a retired hgv driver an its one of the worst jobs for hassle what with cops,

It's funny as that may be in inconvenience for you. But, your transport manager and ultimately your business owners (IF the trucks are up to spec and no defects) will LOVE you being stopped by the police if there are no defects. 

Every interraction gets reported back to the traffic commissioner who has ultimate power over the haulage business, and TMs need to be of good standing. Every stop with zero issue will lower your companys risk score, and that is a really good thing for renewing licences, changing site licences including adding more vehicles and what not.

A pain for the driver, but amazing if you are legit for your back office. TMs do not want to upset the TC!