HGV Driver can't find work

mgsontour

I passed my class 1 in 1992,

Started on agency’s to gain experience and through that gained full time employment through one of the companies.

No nights out but shifts ranged between days/nights and weekends.

Quite well paid for what we did but a back injury plus other complications forced me to pack it in in 2008.

I could go back now but wouldn’t.

Traffic is far worse and can’t be bothered really.

I’m an office Waller now but my nights and weekends are my own, I start at 9 and finish at 5.

Yes I earn less money but I earn enough to suit me, 

Its the media causing the fuel crisis, not the haulage industry, there were the same amount of tanker drivers about last week as this week and there will be the same next week

:shaun:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an HGV /PCV Instructor, at a very well established training school here in the North West. 

Today  and most of this week , our 3 Artic's are not booked out on training courses.  No body interested !

I have All my licences, and a current ADR , which allows me to transport fuel , chemicals , and even explosives.

I cant get a job on the petrol tankers , no matter how many times I apply. There is actually a waiting list at Stanlow.

These advertised 'massive wages' are for massive hours. 

How much do I earn as an Experienced registered Instructor ?

£11.75 per hour  .  The whole industry has been undervalued by society for decades, and despite all the rhetoric , I cant

see anything changing soon.  All the parasitic ,scumbag agencies need shutting down , as they have lived off the backs of drivers far too long.

Lots of companies install camera's in the cabs, as well as 'tele metrics'  that record how hard you accelerate , brake , corner etc, and then when you get back to base , some ;bimbo; with a degree and a only a car licence , drags you over the coals , over the way you have driven. 

As a driver you are regarded as little more than 'pond life' . I know some ex HGV drivers  , that actually gave up to work 'picking'  at Amazon , because they know what 

time they start , and get to go home, but more than that they actually get treated like human beings and appreciated.

HGV Licence is worth what , when you have no petrol, bread , milk for your family?

The government is now sending letters to HGV drivers who no longer work in the industry. Their NOT GETTING THE CAUSES OF THIS SITUATION ARE THEY?

14 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

It appears this fuel shortage has been caused by people connected to large haulage firms not wanting cheap foreign labour to come to an end. So after a meeting with government ministers, they leaked it to the press to cause a buying frenzy and the subsequent shortage, to try and pressurise them into allowing eu hgv driver ls to continue working in the UK and thus continue the low wages. 

Hello, interesting post and very likely from what I have seen for the last 20 years on EU labour, yet still the government say companies should hire UK based drivers, 

7 hours ago, Longbower said:

I am an HGV /PCV Instructor, at a very well established training school here in the North West. 

Today  and most of this week , our 3 Artic's are not booked out on training courses.  No body interested !

I have All my licences, and a current ADR , which allows me to transport fuel , chemicals , and even explosives.

I cant get a job on the petrol tankers , no matter how many times I apply. There is actually a waiting list at Stanlow.

£11.75 per hour  .  The whole industry has been undervalued by society for decades, and despite all the rhetoric , I cant

see anything changing soon.  All the parasitic ,scumbag agencies need shutting down , as they have lived off the backs of drivers far too long.

Lots of companies install camera's in the cabs, as well as 'tele metrics'  that record how hard you accelerate , brake , corner etc, and then when you get back to base , some ;bimbo; with a degree and a only a car licence , drags you over the coals , over the way you have driven. 

As a driver you are regarded as little more than 'pond life' . I know some ex HGV drivers  , that actually gave up to work 'picking'  at Amazon , because they know what 

time they start , and get to go home, but more than that they actually get treated like human beings and appreciated.

HGV Licence is worth what , when you have no petrol, bread , milk for your family?

The government is now sending letters to HGV drivers who no longer work in the industry. Their NOT GETTING THE CAUSES OF THIS SITUATION ARE THEY?

Good post 👍

24 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, interesting post and very likely from what I have seen for the last 20 years on EU labour, yet still the government say companies should hire UK based drivers, 

I couldn't find the original detailed article, but this alleges who leaked it. The original article I read basically said it was a stitch up between certain hauliers and this guy to keep foreign labour coming in and damage brexit. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10028661/HGV-boss-accused-triggering-petrol-pump-crisis-Ministers-point-finger-ex-BBC-man.html

22 hours ago, mgsontour said:

the work that is available through what I suppose are agencies are offering £12-ish per hour which isn't far away from a general £10/hr offered for non professional jobs

Not wanting to sound like a fool, but there are jobs available, just at a poor pay rate for the work involved. 

I can't think of Taking on a job where I'm pressured by times that are unrealistic, having to sit in a layby worried that my side tarp is going to get knifed open by scum stealing goods etc.  And for such a low rate. Hope he finds something soon 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Most of these systems are flawed and read wrong. And you are right, you get some unqualified pen pusher have a go at you because a report said you had to brake hard. With no way of knowing why you had to, get told off for not causing and accident or to not hit someone etc.

This whole story of cheap labour being used to destroy the value of a job to the point that ordinary people cant afford to do it is repeated in many other industries too.

To me its one of the reasons I was so keen to get out of the EU

Just a small example, round here the dustman were all Eastern Europeans these past ten years or so. At one time being a dustman was a good job in Council T & Cs and a pension at the end.

Now its all agency staff that do it as casual labour.

The thing is the employers have to realise the days of endless cheap labour has ended

20 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

All the haulage companies will be very reluctant to be first to offer substantially higher wages and conditions as they will put themselves at a severe disadvantage regarding new contract negotiations.

Yrue but market pressure will drive wages and conditions back up in many sectors providing the government doesn't overly interfere. No wonder the top ftse companies were all dead against brexit. It really will be a win for the working masses in the long run. 

12 hours ago, Longbower said:

Lots of companies install camera's in the cabs, as well as 'tele metrics'  that record how hard you accelerate , brake , corner etc, and then when you get back to base , some ;bimbo; with a degree and a only a car licence , drags you over the coals , over the way you have driven

Yep, same goes for transport managers, Time was when to be considered for the job of transport manager you had to have some driving experience, usually the job went to an older driver that was planning on coming of the road for some reason. 

Now young kids often get the job with absolutely no time behind the wheel and no geographical knowledge, no degree either, just a bit of computer time learning how to use the company's preferred route planner.

One example of this is when I took a short cut because it was not weight restricted and had no low bridges, the transport manager phoned me on the cab phone and asked why it was that I had gone off route, I explained that the road I had taken was less busy and also that this cut through saved about 20 unnecessary miles.

He made me pull over and stop whilst he checked this on his planner, then just came back and said ok then carry on. No apology, no thanks for saving the company time and money, nothing. 

2 hours ago, Tonka54 said:

Yep, same goes for transport managers, Time was when to be considered for the job of transport manager you had to have some driving experience, usually the job went to an older driver that was planning on coming of the road for some reason. 

Now young kids often get the job with absolutely no time behind the wheel and no geographical knowledge, no degree either, just a bit of computer time learning how to use the company's preferred route planner.

One example of this is when I took a short cut because it was not weight restricted and had no low bridges, the transport manager phoned me on the cab phone and asked why it was that I had gone off route, I explained that the road I had taken was less busy and also that this cut through saved about 20 unnecessary miles.

He made me pull over and stop whilst he checked this on his planner, then just came back and said ok then carry on. No apology, no thanks for saving the company time and money, nothing. 

We had this exact issue at work . The tea boy was given the transport managers job because he was good with computers ,  the fact that he'd never even sat behind the wheel of a HGV meant nothing . He's a nice kid , but for the last five years , he's caused nothing but disruption.  

9 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I couldn't find the original detailed article, but this alleges who leaked it. The original article I read basically said it was a stitch up between certain hauliers and this guy to keep foreign labour coming in and damage brexit. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10028661/HGV-boss-accused-triggering-petrol-pump-crisis-Ministers-point-finger-ex-BBC-man.html

Hello, yes that is what I found on internet , Ex BBC !!!!

19 hours ago, Longbower said:

Really in the industry ? Tele metrics …… (telematics). Bimbo in the office, that’s showing respect isn’t it. Get treated like humans by amazon, highly unlikely.  Do you know anybody who’s had this letter off the govenment? Am wondering when to expect mine 😂😂 

20 hours ago, Longbower said:

Certainly not good that mate for that level of responsibility. 

I was in the new Aldi in Ulverston this evening,  HGV class 1 working for Aldi, said needed to be local 40hrs a week £14,95ph that sounded decent to me.

4 hours ago, spanj said:

Really in the industry ? Tele metrics …… (telematics). Bimbo in the office, that’s showing respect isn’t it. Get treated like humans by amazon, highly unlikely.  Do you know anybody who’s had this letter off the govenment? Am wondering when to expect mine 😂😂 

Yep, since 1984 ,   And so I didn't spell it right just like Govenment. , and you don't know her , respect is earned (not horizontally). Probably soon.

On 27/09/2021 at 12:49, Tonka54 said:

Yes the problem is most companies that employ HGV/LGV are still under the impression that they can still offer **** wages, **** hour of work, **** conditions and a workload that is unrealistic. The pool of cheap euro labour that used to allow employers to say that's the job, that's the wage take it or leave it. There are plenty that will take it if you don't. 

The Europeans that used to take this kind of work have now had to go home, It will take a little time for companies to realise that drivers are no longer 10 a penny even the unexperienced one's, sooner or later the penny will drop and they will tackle these issues.

As far as agencies go, they have always tried to pay drivers the cheapest rate they can get away with, it's traditional with them, it's how they maximize their income.

The trick is to say to agencies right from the off that you are not that desperate for work that you will do it for a **** rate. Depending on your skill and experience you can almost always negotiate a higher rate of pay especially if you have an additional skill or experience such as fork truck or moffett.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, sign on with several agencies and be open with the fact that you have done this, this shows them they have competition for your labour, give your P45 to the agency that passes you the most or best work.

My 2pence worth of advise based on a career of 40+ years as a commercial class 1 HGV driver, don't look for full time work in this industry yet, use it to make a little money whilst you find a proper job that will pay you the same wage but without all the ****.

Hello, cast your mind back to many years before we left the EU and EU national were coming over in there 1000s to mainly work in the farming industry where they could work 6 months and earn enough to return home with enough money to go 6 months and return again as there were such high unemployment in their country, many with university degrees , I met some from czech nationals who came over every year like I mentioned , they could earn £8,000 in 6 months, go back ten years and a million or more came over looking for work mainly polish, Roma's , poorer countries compared to the UK, taking any work what ever the hourly rate was given undercutting UK nationals , since we left the EU a lot has changed but many had saved to buy properties in their home country even UK, now many have gone back but those who still live here find the job situation as difficult as our own younger generation yet the latter many cannot have their dream of home ownership and job security and family life like we know even 20 years ago, with this and the Covid pandemic I realy feel for young people today , 

AHello, cast your mind back to many years before we left the EU and EU national were coming over in there 1000s to mainly work in the farming industry where they could work 6 months and earn enough to return home with enough money to go 6 months and return again as there were such high unemployment in their country

Agree entirely O P P, I Cannot speak for the farming industry, sandwich factories or any other of the other ad-hoc casual worker industries but yes, it's easy to understand why the thousands of Europeans were allowed in to drive in this country.

From the UK government and the haulage companies point of view it solved two problems, 1st : they were a good source of cheap labour who were for the most part willing to take all the **** jobs and not be to fussy about UK driving regulations. 2nd : there willingness to work for poor wages meant that UK national drivers had to do the same, or face losing their jobs.

From the East European drivers point of view, their country's economy and general cost of living meant that the poor wages by UK standards represented a small fortune when taken or sent home to their own country, so our own drivers were "over a barrel".

The European drivers, not wishing to waste a single penny of their UK wages, only paid for UK lorry parks and amenities as a last resort, preferring instead to use all the waste grounds, free lay-bys and even farm gateways to overnight in, setting up community cooking facilities from the lockers on their trailers for them and their Euro fellow drivers to consume food brought from home, even presently you can pull into any motorway services and see them preparing food in this way during the daytime before moving on else ware. 

English drivers traditionally do not tend to do this, so our poor wages also have to cover side of the road and motorway food prices, which are not cheap.    

Edited by Tonka54

11 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

Agree entirely O P P, I Cannot speak for the farming industry, sandwich factories or any other of the other ad-hoc casual worker industries but yes, it's easy to understand why the thousands of Europeans were allowed in to drive in this country.

From the UK government and the haulage companies point of view it solved two problems, 1st : they were a good source of cheap labour who were for the most part willing to take all the **** jobs and not be to fussy about UK driving regulations. 2nd : there willingness to work for poor wages meant that UK national drivers had to do the same, or face losing their jobs.

From the East European drivers point of view, their country's economy and general cost of living meant that the poor wages by UK standards represented a small fortune when taken or sent home to their own country, so our own drivers were "over a barrel".

The European drivers, not wishing to waste a single penny of their UK wages, only paid for UK lorry parks and amenities as a last resort, preferring instead to use all the waste grounds, free lay-bys and even farm gateways to overnight in, setting up community cooking facilities from the lockers on their trailers for them and their Euro fellow drivers to consume food brought from home, even presently you can pull into any motorway services and see them preparing food in this way during the daytime before moving on else ware. 

English drivers traditionally do not tend to do this, so are poor wages also have to cover side of the road and motorway food prices, which are not cheap.    

You can often see rows of potatoes and onions on the dash of forgein drivers lorries and they seem to live off them. 

Going back to when the UK first started with imported drivers, my then boss put my wage up to £10 per hour. I had to learn to speak Polish (in my own time) then arrange the import and training of said drivers. I had a completely free hand in training and returning the very worst. Our drivers were on £7.00 per hour and £15 for a night out. The Polish were paid the same per hour but allowed to live in the cabs permanently free. Encouraged to park in laybys, industrial estates and even on ordinary roads with no parking restrictions. After a couple of months he put the wages down to £5 and the drivers stayed. He then told the 95% British drivers, leave or take a cut. Most took the cut. Most had under 2 years service and therefore no legal rights. (I trained them from car upwards on a retention scheme).

The yard workers he imported lived in a 2 up 2 down terraced house he bought in Page Hall area Sheffield. I visited only once to check on a missing worker. 20 men living in one house. The stench made me gip and I have a strong stomach.

My employer went bust in the financial crash of 2007 - 2009, still saying he found it hard to compete in road haulage. To be fair he lived in a modest semi with his parents and drove a 5 year old car. Our yard was rented.

Some drivers returned to Poland and by then Romania, Albania, Bulgaria and other associated Eastern block countries, I'd lost track and interest by then. Some took other jobs undercutting British workers.

32 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

LOL Just received a letter from old Vera. She hasn't a clue.

20210929_141759.jpg

She must be desperate if she needs me, a disabled insulin dependant morphine taker🤣🤣🤣

My licence was revoked on medical grounds 4 years 9 months ago.

I struggle to stay awake for more than 4 hours at best. 

LOL!! I got mine this morning as well. Went onto the website at the top of the page, got onto the contact section and let them have it.

I now have a small bag packed, purchased some hand rolling tobacco and am waiting for the knock on the door.

51 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

LOL Just received a letter from old Vera. She hasn't a clue.

20210929_141759.jpg

She must be desperate if she needs me, a disabled insulin dependant morphine taker🤣🤣🤣

My licence was revoked on medical grounds 4 years 9 months ago.

I struggle to stay awake for more than 4 hours at best. 

I've just got home , and my letter was waiting for me.

You'd think that with all the tech that they have , they'd only send letters to those that are able to drive , but aren't currently driving. It would save a fortune in wasted letters.

Just goes to show, what goes around comes around, Firstly the DOT and the Government bring European drivers in to suppress pay rises and take UK drivers Jobs.

Then Brexit forces the Euro's home and the DOT comes cap in hand begging UK drivers to return. PRICELESS😁

1 hour ago, Tonka54 said:

Just goes to show, what goes around comes around, Firstly the DOT and the Government bring European drivers in to suppress pay rises and take UK drivers Jobs.

Then Brexit forces the Euro's home and the DOT comes cap in hand begging UK drivers to return. PRICELESS😁

Yep, it also shows to all the remainiacs that counter to their claims at the time, being in the EU had a very detrimental impact to the ordinary working masses, this is just the tip of the iceberg of artificially supprresed wages that have kept decent, hardworking, brits earning on the breadline for far too long. Its a national disgrace which is kept swept under the carpet for fear the public would find out.