Chokes and TLC for Winchester

MitchSpartan

Hi all.

So I've had my first shotgun and it's a Winchester 101 XTR diamond grade sporter.

Butt plate is a bit rough and some scratches around and on stock but perfect action and fires great.

Ordered a Napier gunstock finishing kit to try and tidy it up. Barrels are super clean but some rust around where gun closes. Any advice on sorting that? 

I'm looking for some chokes as the ones it came with have seen better days and the 1/4 has a crack which I saw before I used it. 

I was looking at Teal chokes but was told to go Teague. Are they worth the money? 

Also I want the extended, not flush fitting. Some say invectors fit and some say they don't so any advice is appreciated

20210928_130244.jpg

20210928_130307.jpg

20210928_130403.jpg

20210928_130445.jpg

Get some light oil on the action, it does need some TLC.

Have a search for Mandel Chokes. That would be a good way to start.

http://www.shotgunchokes.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=Winchester-Extended-Shotgun-Chokes&id=30425

Welcome to Pigeon Watch.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Wire wool and oil on the action. Mandel or Open Season chokes are amongst the cheapest chokes. The standard Browning Invector chokes fit.

Woodwork looks okay to me and Winchester stock finish is a pain to get off. I would leave it.

Nice gun.

Look in the Trading Post (Sales) section. A member (peroni) is selling skeet and 1/4 chokes for your gun - Briley - top chokes and cheap.

Edited by Gordon R

I have owned two Diamond Grades, and they’re up there with the best in my opinion. 
As above, a bit of light oil and a rub with wire wool, or one of those fine Emery cloths you can find in most hardware shops will sort those ejectors. 
I replaced the original Winchokes ( but kept them as they’re alway wanted ) with Teague extended stainless chokes, which were great, but have no experience of the others mentioned. 
Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t put steel through it, I put loads of steel cartridges through mine including HP, and that was donkies years ago. 

As has been mentioned, the stock finish looks fine. I wouldn’t touch it either. 
Winchester 101’s are one of the best handling shotguns out there. I still own three. 

Edited by Scully

The best thing to help your stock will be Autosol … might seem a bit daft, but I’ve tried it on these Winchester type hard synthetic finishes and really gets rid of the fine scratches.

Keep it well away from chequering though.

On the chokes … if you compare the Winchester and Browning Invector dimensions on the Teague site, you’ll see they’re slightly different … so make sure you get the Winchester version. 
Teague are good .. but bide your time and see what comes up 2nd hand. The Winchokes will be fine for now.

I refinished the stock on my Classic Doubles 101 ,the last version produced by the factory making the Winchester 101s. The removal of the original finish was time consuming but worth it as the CCL kit I used to oil finish it brought out the grain and really improved it. I fitted an ISIS pad by buying an oversized pad then fitted it onto the stock scribed round the shape of the bottom of the stock onto the pad then sent it back to the firm who buffed it down to fit. Cost was under £40 including postage plus the cost of the pad.It’s a green pad but I coloured it black with the permanent marker they supplied. Best of luck with the improvements they are worth doing as it’s a classic over and under. Picture shows my 101 on the right

B3010489-78FD-40C7-9F82-5C8EB2A15E3B.jpeg

2 hours ago, MitchSpartan said:

Thanks for replies gents. I prefer this Winchester to my dad's Lincoln pair and those are superb but just something about this gun I love. 

I wasn't aware I could shoot the steel shots as it isn't stamped for that. I know I defo can't shoot high velocity shots with it.

When it was made and proofed steel was not even on the horizon.

Enjoy the old girl, many of us have or some still are.

1 hour ago, Konor said:

I refinished the stock on my Classic Doubles 101 ,the last version produced by the factory making the Winchester 101s. The removal of the original finish was time consuming but worth it as the CCL kit I used to oil finish it brought out the grain and really improved it. I fitted an ISIS pad by buying an oversized pad then fitted it onto the stock scribed round the shape of the bottom of the stock onto the pad then sent it back to the firm who buffed it down to fit. Cost was under £40 including postage plus the cost of the pad.It’s a green pad but I coloured it black with the permanent marker they supplied. Best of luck with the improvements they are worth doing as it’s a classic over and under. Picture shows my 101 on the right

B3010489-78FD-40C7-9F82-5C8EB2A15E3B.jpeg

They look great. How did you put the green pad on as the butt is curved which, when I spoke to Dave at Isis, he said it would need to be straightened to fit the green pad which again, is something I can't do! 

3 hours ago, MitchSpartan said:

They look great. How did you put the green pad on as the butt is curved which, when I spoke to Dave at Isis, he said it would need to be straightened to fit the green pad which again, is something I can't do! 

MS the butt was straight cut as original.The original plastic butt plate was flat facing the stock and slightly curved on the other side ie where it made contact with the shoulder. Is the end of your stock not cut straight?

To clean and polish the ejectors and the end of the chambers, get a couple of used cartridge cases, take the barrel off the gun, put the cases in the gun and then use fine wet and dry paper to clean off the rust. As the surface will be flat its an easy job to get a really good finish.

22 hours ago, Wylye said:

To clean and polish the ejectors and the end of the chambers, get a couple of used cartridge cases, take the barrel off the gun, put the cases in the gun and then use fine wet and dry paper to clean off the rust. As the surface will be flat its an easy job to get a really good finish.

Good tip 👍👍👍

On 29/09/2021 at 20:24, Wylye said:

That really is the best way to clean up a barrel face. Use fine, 1000 grit paper with a little oil,  wrapped around a flat surface like a file. This is to make sure you keep the edges flat and square.      

IMHO the real Winchester 101 series are one of the best handling o/u guns of the past.

Edited by reindeer

All good tips from everyone,if you do the stock properly,  and take the time it should turn out really well. And as most have already said Winchester are (old ones)  some of the best,most shootable guns ever made. Look after it and it'll  see you out!.. I have  a Winchester 23 supergrade sxs,have owned it for 17 years,  has done ALOT of work in that Time.  Have bought and sold  a lot of guns, but will never part with it. Enjoy your  Winchester 👍

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MitchSpartan said:

Guys, can anyone confirm if the Browning Invector extended chokes will fit the 101 XTR? Sportsman gun centre said they do but I wanna make sure before I order 

They will go in, but not be as good a fit as the Winchester ones.

When you compare the dimensions of the two on the Teague website you’ll see they’re slightly different.

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have no experience of Mandel chokes, but others in the know rate them.

The theory behind ported chokes is to reduce muzzle flip, much akin to ported barrels. Whether they work or not I have no idea, but they look great! 🙂

Almost correct, the muzzle flip was addressed by porting barrels in the top, chokes with ports all round do not reduce any perceived muzzle flip!

Mandel chokes are superb pieces of engineering, being extended allows them to be fitted and removed far easier than un-extended chokes.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Almost correct, the muzzle flip was addressed by porting barrels in the top, chokes with ports all round do not reduce any perceived muzzle flip!

Mandel chokes are superb pieces of engineering, being extended allows them to be fitted and removed far easier than un-extended chokes.

That's good to hear. Their customer service is superb. 

Teague, Teal and some others taking days and weeks to reply. 

So extended Mandel's it is. To port or not to port, that is the question? They do look nice ported though