Opinions please HIK micro thermal spotter

Agriv8

So my ratting permission is a small family with lots of small buildings and hidy holes. This is my mates farm so just doing him a favour really 

my shooting is using my sub  12 ultra with photon rt scope. All is good but I struggle to get gun me and skope into some areas to find rats without making too much noise or wait for them to come to food source. So started thinking about small thermal spotter and came across HIK micro range.

They come in  6mm £350 10mm £600 ish and getting out of my comfort zone 15mm for £900.

so if it was just for rating recon 6mm but I do like thinning the greys in his small woods which the 6mm struggle with leaves and the 10mm would work better as this has higher screen resolution!

I am also sure that if I bought it I could be useful fox watching around the poult pens on the small syndicate  to assist our sharp shooter ! ( he can only be in 1 place at once )

I have of course read reviews and watched vids but as you lot seem to know your stuff I thought I would open this up and seek a bit of peer review to my mumblings above especially from anyone who has used one!

Thanks in advance Agriv8 

Edited by Agriv8

I have the 10mm for bunny bashing and it is an excellent piece of kit for the money and would not be without it….unless I forget to turn it off after charging and the battery goes flat again Doh!

If you were using a rimfire or higher cal then the 15mm would probably be best as zooming in on images over 150yds become pixilated 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

£600 to spot rats!

You’re either barmy or you have LOTS more money than I do.

London best putting it like that yes it’s shelling out a lot - or another way to look at is an intro into thermal that may be usable if I do go up  FAC at a later and I don’t mind investing in hardware to make my life easier. Ps definitely Barmey puddling through cow poop for nowt in the pitch black because. There nowt on TV

1 hour ago, Westley78 said:

I have the 10mm for bunny bashing and it is an excellent piece of kit for the money and would not be without it….unless I forget to turn it off after charging and the battery goes flat again Doh!

If you were using a rimfire or higher cal then the 15mm would probably be best as zooming in on images over 150yds become pixilated 

Westly that’s exactly what I was after my sub 12 ultra won’t get to 150 yards and my accuracy tops out at 20 yards anyway 😜

have you had the 10 mm in the trees looking for targets how did you find it ? As Will likley need that for tree rats

How long you had it !

Thanks all Agriv8 

I bought the 6 mm hic last year and was amazed at the ease of seeing rabbits(blobs) in fields without lighting up the field!

No more torches for me!

If you want more detail, you got to spend more.

Airgun ,even r/f ranges its fine.

I liked thermal so much I recently bought a Pulsar axion,  way overkill for my needs but can see across any of the fields around here.

52 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

London best putting it like that yes it’s shelling out a lot - or another way to look at is an intro into thermal that may be usable if I do go up  FAC at a later and I don’t mind investing in hardware to make my life easier. Ps definitely Barmey puddling through cow poop for nowt in the pitch black because. There nowt on TV

Westly that’s exactly what I was after my sub 12 ultra won’t get to 150 yards and my accuracy tops out at 20 yards anyway 😜

have you had the 10 mm in the trees looking for targets how did you find it ? As Will likley need that for tree rats

How long you had it !

Thanks all Agriv8 

I’ve had it a couple of months and I can spot rabbits in light cover which I wouldn’t have seen with anything else.

Obviously the bigger the animal the larger the heat signature and the easier you can spot it through cover, so squizzlers in trees in full leaf may be an ask but once the leaves have fallen I think you’ll have a good chance at spotting them from a distance.