A little treat for the squirrels at feeder 2

harrycatcat1

As the peanuts don't seem to last too long and also they are two quid a bag I decided to give the squirrels a change of diet with conkers mixed in with barley. If you are wondering what the tonic bottle is doing there it's because it's 25 yards from my blue barrel that I sit on. It's useful to zero the rifle. This is what I call "number 2 feeder station".

Edited to say the pictures 2 and 3 are from the feeder looking towards the blue barrel. 

Screenshot_20210928-160718_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210928-160729_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210928-160743_Gallery.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1

Well I have seen them carrying them off so assume they intend eating them and if we go for a steak they don't bring the cow do they. I thought chop them up into smaller pieces because then they have to sit still and eat/nibble at it whilst the lump of lead is on the way.    My mix for my flip tops is 25kg whole maize, a small bucket full of mixed bird food(small seed and sunflowers) mainly just for the birds and a small bucket full of peanuts. I pour a half of a bottle of the cheapest cooking oil I can find on this and mix it. As said I have a cement mixer which makes it easy and I then throw in two cups of GameKeep mixture which will stick to the oiled seeds.  Of course you can size this down to your own requirements. I do have a few conkers around and will add a few chopped up to the mix and see the result.

The whole conkers they can grab and do a runner.

At the moment I am running seven flip tops and seven live catch cages so you can appreciate I need the quantity.

Edited by Walker570

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well I have seen them carrying them off so assume they intend eating them and if we go for a steak they don't bring the cow do they. I thought chop them up into smaller pieces because then they have to sit still and eat/nibble at it whilst the lump of lead is on the way.    My mix for my flip tops is 25kg whole maize, a small bucket full of mixed bird food(small seed and sunflowers) mainly just for the birds and a small bucket full of peanuts. I pour a half of a bottle of the cheapest cooking oil I can find on this and mix it. As said I have a cement mixer which makes it easy and I then throw in two cups of GameKeep mixture which will stick to the oiled seeds.  Of course you can size this down to your own requirements. I do have a few conkers around and will add a few chopped up to the mix and see the result.

The whole conkers they can grab and do a runner.

At the moment I am running seven flip tops and seven live catch cages so you can appreciate I need the quantity.

One of the reasons that I left the conker whole, I didn't explain, is that there is a theory that mice are taking my peanuts out of a trap and not setting the trap off so by leaving the conkers whole hopefully putting the mice off. I have shot a squirrel before with a shotgun and it still had a conker in its mouth when we got to it.

I doubt that a mouse would carry off a conker, unless anyone knows different 🤔

32 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

You might just drill them first as I think driving a nail through will split them. You might actually be able to put a retaining bar in the trap and slide the drilled conkers on save knocking a nail in every time.

I'm full of stupid ideas like that BUT about 1% of them actually work.

👍👍👍

I doubt anything can get to the apples on the string.

I tried putting conkers and sweet chestnuts in my feeders last year but they just went moldy, I saw afterwards pictures of them layed out drying like Nev does with his walnuts.

And someone posted a picture on FB the other day having shot 15 from around a chestnut tree. 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

I doubt anything can get to the apples on the string.

I tried putting conkers and sweet chestnuts in my feeders last year but they just went moldy, I saw afterwards pictures of them layed out drying like Nev does with his walnuts.

And someone posted a picture on FB the other day having shot 15 from around a chestnut tree. 

I thought squirrels were acrobats? Saying that if they won't take the cores of the apples out of the trap they won't be bothered to do the trapeze off the string.

Wonder why they didn't take your conkers or chestnuts? Like I say I think where I am the pine cones are plentiful and probably more tasty 😋