Harklia Boots..

8 shot

Broke my ankle quite badly some 25 to 30 years ago, and it over the last couple of years has started to play up a bit, i guess getting old it not helping. Fancy trying some high length leather boots which i've never tried before, and have found some Harklia 10" boots on sale. Are Harklia boots any good, if not what do the collective recommend. I'll use them for between 20 to 30 days beating/shooting and vermin control plus a bit of general tootling about on the farm. 

26 minutes ago, Scully said:

J Norris have a Harkila sale on at the moment. The two pairs I bought from him ( albeit over ten years ago ) both leaked at the heel, although I’m assured that problem has been resolved. 
They were very comfortable I recall. 

Yes these are in the John Norris sale, I assume they are old stock as they don’t have the Vibram sole. They looked very good, looked at the top end stuff £300 plus but as I’ve never had these type of boots before I’m reluctant to spend big and not get on with them.  

Have had harkila and comfy straight out if the box and wore well. 
now have dedito which are really good as well.

I had danners many years ago where insulated and gorged lined and at that time cost an arm and a leg but certainly lasted very well and if I had had them stored properly when I moved out they no doubt would have lasted a lot longer.  

I cant complain about the comfort, or the lace system its exceptional, but the build quality is very poor. I went against my ruling when buying any boot thats going to get some use, and thats the least stitching the better, historically i have always gone for and recommended  Scarpa boots having had 10+ years service out of the 4 pairs I've bought. I still have 2 pairs in use, 1 old tatty pair for around the garden and the other for walking if ending up in a local hostelry. 

1 hour ago, Mr grumpy said:

I too have ankle trouble and pondered this.bought meindl dovre extreme.had them 3 years and cant reccomend them enough.

They do seem to have favourable reviews, quite pricey ?. I've not had these sort of boots for shooting before and didn't want to go all in and not get on with them, they do look heavy though 

On 04/10/2021 at 20:47, 8 shot said:

They do seem to have favourable reviews, quite pricey ?. I've not had these sort of boots for shooting before and didn't want to go all in and not get on with them, they do look heavy though 

I dont find them too heavy,even after a full days beating.they have never let water in or split at the back,like some others appear to do.i was hesitant to make a big spend,but wish i had done it earlier.far better than my le chameau wellies and they were not cheap.

4 hours ago, Vetty said:

I have noticed a trend that a lot of people who have had problems with harkilla boots have bought them in the John Norris sale 

Indeed. Which is where I bought mine, took them back due to leaking and replaced with another pair which also leaked. I replaced with another pair which weren’t Harkila.

I spoke to a lady on a stall at Lowther Show sometime later, who did explain how and why Norris managed to sell them so cheap, but it was quite a few years ago now, and I can’t remember unfortunately. 
A vendor on another stall told me the problem had been resolved, but I’ve never bought a pair since.