Next 007..any bets ?

ditchman

Barbara Brocolli has stated the next Bond wont be a woman...............but wont say who...what...race....creed...colour....the next one will be..........

Daniel Craig to-nite wore a pink dinner jacket....:hmm:...............is it possible in this gender aware world we live in..is he telling us that the next Bond will be Gay ?

gosh wont that be terribly PC:blush:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

Barbara Brocolli has stated the next Bond wont be a woman...............but wont say who...what...race....creed...colour....the next one will be..........

Daniel Craig to-nite wore a pink dinner jacket...................is it possible in this gender aware world we live in..is he telling us that the next Bond will be Gay ?

gosh wont that be terribly PC:blush:

Will be auditioning for Bond Boys then!

Brocolli's said that as long as she's in charge, it ain't gonna be a woman.

I don't think there's anything in the Bond character that intrinsically makes him white in the same way that there is for him to be a man - and not gay. That's a different story that isn't the Bond one.

I think Idris Elba would have been a great choice ten years ago. But I think he's just a bit too old for it to be credible. Regé-Jean Page, on the other hand, would be great. 

Mark Strong would be a fun choice as a baddie. Somewhat typecast - Tinker, Tailor aside - but that's only because he's great at being evil.

25 minutes ago, Robden said:

I've liked/enjoyed all the Bond films (apart from the George Lazenby one...obviously), but if the new Bond is black, I won't be watching it......it wouldn't be right.

By the same token, I wouldn't watch a Kunta Kinte film, if KK was white......it wouldn't be right.

Why not? What part of the character necessitates him being white? Kunta Kinte needs to be black because his colour is integral to the story of slavery. But what is there in Bond that's of equal significance to require him to be white?

He works for the British security services, so he can't suddenly be French. To make him female would so completely undermine his clichéd maleness and his relationship towards and with women that it wouldn't be Bond any more. But there's nothing to say Bond needs to  be white. Colour is irrelevant to any prior plot, or character detail - even any backstory element. 'It's just not right' isn't much of a reason.

Edited by chrisjpainter

Bond back from I read the books was most clearly was was an ex-Royal Navy Commander (equivalent to at Lt.Colonel) who was an orphan and attended public school. His ethnicity as such bar a description of him in one of the books is secondary I think to those other character forming circumstances. So I'd be OK with a black Bond but I don't think that a white working class Bond in the Harry Palmer style would fit. James Bond was Bond and Harry Palmer was who he was. Two great fictional characters each slightly different with Palmer's spy world just as entertaining.

Edited by enfieldspares

3 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Why not? What part of the character necessitates him being white?

He works for the British security services, so he can't suddenly be French. To make him female would so completely undermine his clichéd maleness and his relationship towards and with women that it wouldn't be Bond any more. But there's nothing to say Bond needs to  be white. Colour is irrelevant to any prior plot, or character detail - even any backstory element. 'It's just not right' isn't much of a reason.

Read a couple of Flemming's books.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher is 6'6" and about 220 lbs.......which isn't  Tom Cruise.........it's not right.

17 minutes ago, Robden said:

Read a couple of Flemming's books.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher is 6'6" and about 220 lbs.......which isn't  Tom Cruise.........it's not right.

Which bits did you have in mind? The physical descriptions are generally consistent in the books, but don't require him to be black specifically - and they ditched 'slim build' for beefcake, along with the scar and the blue eyes for the films anyway.

55 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Why not? What part of the character necessitates him being white? Kunta Kinte needs to be black because his colour is integral to the story of slavery. But what is there in Bond that's of equal significance to require him to be white?

There have been something like 24 bond films, he is supposed to be one character, I wasn't to happy with the change to Daniel Craig as it strayed from the slim, dark haired ultra slick character up until then. But to be black would just not fit the film series. 

I had not realised how many luvvies there are on PW. A fictional character in a fictional story adapted from a work of fiction. 

When I was a child I really enjoyed the Sean Connery Bond films and then, despite my shame to admit it, GoldenEye. However I cannot suspend my disbelief and so find fiction tedious now. I am not saying that I believe other people should enjoy it less because I don’t, but merely that I struggle to comprehend what the allure is. 

Therefore I would like to register my vote of indifference to the next Bond, as long as that man or woman is happy and people enjoy the fantasy I have no objection. 

interesting replies..............i think she will do another sort of daniel craig..............some actor nobody has heard of ..or who has had a bit part in some seris...like daniel craig....his claim to fame at that time was a small part in Sharpe as a underfunded uppercrust lowly officer

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

There have been something like 24 bond films, he is supposed to be one character, I wasn't to happy with the change to Daniel Craig as it strayed from the slim, dark haired ultra slick character up until then. But to be black would just not fit the film series. 

If he is supposed to be one character, then surely he has to stay in the 50's and 60's, lose the internet, the tech, the modern day Astons etc...And being white is about the only thing that Daniel Craig shares with George Lasenby, or Tim Dalton. And as for Roger Moore, he did almost double the number of Bonds as anyone else, and still came across as quite camp. not quite the homophobic, cold persona he is in the books...

I don't think you can allow a character to be going 60-odd years, who doesn't age and who gets updated with the Times, but for him to only be allowed to change actors so long as he's white, but no other continuing features. I think you've got to be able to move it on and use the character of the man as a guide, not the characteristics.