Next 007..any bets ?

ditchman

51 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

Henry Ford "you can have any colour you like as long as its Black" 

Some debate over whether that is actually true. What is true, however is that when the Model T rolled out, just about the only colour you couldn't get it in was black. It took over five years for a black one to roll out...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

If he is supposed to be one character, then surely he has to stay in the 50's and 60's, lose the internet, the tech, the modern day Astons etc...And being white is about the only thing that Daniel Craig shares with George Lasenby, or Tim Dalton. And as for Roger Moore, he did almost double the number of Bonds as anyone else, and still came across as quite camp. not quite the homophobic, cold persona he is in the books...

I don't think you can allow a character to be going 60-odd years, who doesn't age and who gets updated with the Times, but for him to only be allowed to change actors so long as he's white, but no other continuing features. I think you've got to be able to move it on and use the character of the man as a guide, not the characteristics. 

Bond is a certain character, the movies have continued that trend up as far as Daniel Craig, I wasn't over the moon with the break from the norm there, it's only my opinion but if they radically change bond from an arogant, masculine, womaniser. Or turn him into a female, or black or any number of other things that his character isn't throughout the film history I will not be watching and I'm sure there's many others who feel the same. Bond has been the most successful set of film sequels due to it moving subtly with the times, but keeping the same substance at its core from day one. I would suggest the film makers break that at their peril. 

I must be missing something. He was created by ian Fleming as white. Why do we need a black Bond? I am not interested in the view that is about time, as that would apply to Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Thor, Iron Man, Tarzan etc. etc. 

Those who want a black Secret Service star should write their own book and get it made into a film. I think it is arrogance to dictate that a character created by someone else should conform to the current obsession - eg Black Lives Matter.

Alex Haley's Roots could now be set in Africa, featuring a white actor as Kunta Kinte, a white man abducted from Wales and transported to another land, by black Barbary Coast slavers. There would be an outcry and much hand wringing.

Double standards.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

I must be missing something. He was created by ian Fleming as white. Why do we need a black Bond? I am not interested in the view that is about time, as that would apply to Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Thor, Iron Man, Tarzan etc. etc. 

Those who want a black Secret Service star should write their own book and get it made into a film. I think it is arrogance to dictate that a character created by someone else should conform to the current obsession - eg Black Lives Matter.

Alex Haley's Roots could now be set in Africa, featuring a white actor as Kunta Kinte, a white man abducted from Wales and transported to another land, by black Barbary Coast slavers. There would be an outcry and much hand wringing.

Double standards.

And that is the best explanation so far as to why its a stupid idea. 

26 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Double standards.

"Chicken george" for Bond ....yeeeaahhhhh:yahoo:

6 hours ago, hodge911 said:

Next bond will be ...

Gay bisexual black vegan woman rights activist anti establishment police hating non specific gender who changes gender every 5 mins 

Just to be P.C.

No it won't

10 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Why not? What part of the character necessitates him being white? Kunta Kinte needs to be black because his colour is integral to the story of slavery. But what is there in Bond that's of equal significance to require him to be white?

He works for the British security services, so he can't suddenly be French. To make him female would so completely undermine his clichéd maleness and his relationship towards and with women that it wouldn't be Bond any more. But there's nothing to say Bond needs to  be white. Colour is irrelevant to any prior plot, or character detail - even any backstory element. 'It's just not right' isn't much of a reason.

Good post

8 hours ago, Scully said:

Matthew Goode or James Norton would be my favourites, although the bloke from The Bodyguard was mooted some time ago? 

Hope it's not the Body guard lad, I really didn't rate body guard.

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

interesting replies..............i think she will do another sort of daniel craig..............some actor nobody has heard of ..or who has had a bit part in some seris...like daniel craig....his claim to fame at that time was a small part in Sharpe as a underfunded uppercrust lowly officer

Can't upload the picture but road to perdition and Layer cake were before Bond, I actually really enjoyed Layer Cake, and imagine it was that that got him the role, worth watching if you haven't seen it.

36 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Double standards.

He was also written as a racist homophobe. But that's been taken out. He was written as being a slim build, not beefcaked like Craig and Roger Moore is about as unalike Hoagy Carmichael as a white chap is able to get. He's supposed to be of Scottish ancestry, yet Craig is English, Timothy Dalton's Welsh, Pierce Brosnan's Irish and George Lasenby's an Aussie! There's nothing intrinsically necessary in the fact that he's white in the novels (other than the racist element, but then that's probably best removed anyway...)

You ask why do we need a black Bond, we don't need one, but why do we need a white Bond? And it can't be just because 'he was white in the books' because as has already been shown, the things that got changed on the appearance and background of Bond are legion. 'That's what it's like in the books' has got well and truly trashed when it comes to Bond. M's even been a woman, but that worked out pretty well with Judi Dench and Bond's not been bound to the tech of 50's/60's cold war espionage paraphernalia. I'm not saying that Bond must be black. I'm saying there's not a good enough reason for him to be white that precludes a black actor playing the role, if he fits the bill on everything else.

I'm sure some crazy loon will try it, but that will be done by making whiteness intrinsically important to the story as you've suggested. What would be absurd is if you had the Kunta Kinte story as is originally formulated and retold, where everything's identical - but Kunta Kinte's suddenly white for no apparent reason, when being black is absolutely critical to the character. But with Bond there's no such critical factor with his colour. Gender, yes. Sexuality, yes. But other than the overtly racist elements to it, which have always been removed from the films, there's nothing that requires him to be white if you've already accepted that a whole host of changes are legitimate. 

I would certainly like to see Bond played more like Pierce Brosnan did, less muscle more swarve, I think the Borne films rocked the Bond franchise into doing something different. 

If you think of current affairs,  where problems are likely to come from in the world then an Asian Bond makes a lot of sense, if the character fits the story then great, but if someone gets the role just to tick a box then it would be a massive turn off.

44 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Double standards.

I’ve more or less said the same in the past. I’ve had this discussion with a few folk who said they don’t see why he should be white as he’s a fictional character. Fair enough, but so is Shaft, and when they made an up to date movie  Samuel L. Jackson was cast in the title role, because Shaft is a black detective. It simply wouldn’t make sense to cast a white man to play the role, regardless of any ridiculous PC requirement. 

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Hope it's not the Body guard lad, I really didn't rate body guard.

Me neither. 

12 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

He was also written as a racist homophobe. But that's been taken out. He was written as being a slim build, not beefcaked like Craig and Roger Moore is about as unalike Hoagy Carmichael as a white chap is able to get. He's supposed to be of Scottish ancestry, yet Craig is English, Timothy Dalton's Welsh, Pierce Brosnan's Irish and George Lasenby's an Aussie! There's nothing intrinsically necessary in the fact that he's white in the novels (other than the racist element, but then that's probably best removed anyway...)

You ask why do we need a black Bond, we don't need one, but why do we need a white Bond? And it can't be just because 'he was white in the books' because as has already been shown, the things that got changed on the appearance and background of Bond are legion. 'That's what it's like in the books' has got well and truly trashed when it comes to Bond. M's even been a woman, but that worked out pretty well with Judi Dench and Bond's not been bound to the tech of 50's/60's cold war espionage paraphernalia. I'm not saying that Bond must be black. I'm saying there's not a good enough reason for him to be white that precludes a black actor playing the role, if he fits the bill on everything else.

I'm sure some crazy loon will try it, but that will be done by making whiteness intrinsically important to the story as you've suggested. What would be absurd is if you had the Kunta Kinte story as is originally formulated and retold, where everything's identical - but Kunta Kinte's suddenly white for no apparent reason, when being black is absolutely critical to the character. But with Bond there's no such critical factor with his colour. Gender, yes. Sexuality, yes. But other than the overtly racist elements to it, which have always been removed from the films, there's nothing that requires him to be white if you've already accepted that a whole host of changes are legitimate. 

But it's not just about the books, the past 24 odd films has built a certain character and a black man, or any other vast visual or personality change just isn't going to cut it. 

I think you'll find the very vast majority of bond fans will feel this way about it. 

What if they restarted the blade films with a white guy? It just wouldn't work. 

5 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

But it's not just about the books, the past 24 odd films has built a certain character and a black man, or any other vast visual or personality change just isn't going to cut it. 

I think you'll find the very vast majority of bond fans will feel this way about it. 

What if they restarted the blade films with a white guy? It just wouldn't work. 

What character? Kilt aside, Lazenby was nothing like Connery. The Bond of Craig's era was nothing like the Bond of Roger Moore. The character, whatever that is, has been constantly adapted and changed. Bond would have been cancelled decades ago had Dalton not completely changed the feel of the character. If anything, he's the most like the Bond in the books, but only ever got to make two films.

You sure about that?

Majority support a black James Bond, but few want a female or gay 007 | YouGov 

10 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

What character? Kilt aside, Lazenby was nothing like Connery. The Bond of Craig's era was nothing like the Bond of Roger Moore. The character, whatever that is, has been constantly adapted and changed. Bond would have been cancelled decades ago had Dalton not completely changed the feel of the character. If anything, he's the most like the Bond in the books, but only ever got to make two films.

You sure about that?

Majority support a black James Bond, but few want a female or gay 007 | YouGov 

But they all share certain aspects and being black, or gay, disabled, transsexual or any number of other woke agendas that are being rammed down the UKs population throats at the moment and it just wouldn't fit. 

Yougov polls are never completely wrong are they? 

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

But they all share certain aspects and being black, or gay, disabled, transsexual or any number of other woke agendas that are being rammed down the UKs population throats at the moment and it just wouldn't fit. 

Yougov polls are never completely wrong are they? 

Oh I see, so they're actually in favour of a woman Bond? My mistake. Or is it just that it's right about what you want it to be right about, but wrong about the other bits...

a lot of the potencial bonds are too damn old.........dont forget whoever they run with...they will run with him for a few years       so i rekon they will be looking at someone in their late 20's.....representing the age of technology...wi-fi...cloud...dark web...internet manipulation...some one in their 40's wont cut that scene...

maybe the chracture will have a iraq/afganistan back story..........

Edited by ditchman

11 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Oh I see, so they're actually in favour of a woman Bond? My mistake. Or is it just that it's right about what you want it to be right about, but wrong about the other bits...

52% of bond fans said they'd find it acceptable, that doesn't mean they'd like to see it, just that they'd not refuse to watch it, hardly a glowing rendition of wanting it is it. 

And no where did I say I'd want a female bond either. 

You still haven't answered whether you'd like to see a white blade? 

Edited by 12gauge82