Lightweight Crow decoys

Centrepin

As it says, lightweight crow only.

Suffering bad back and bad legs today after walking only 150m or so across a freshly sewn field with 7 flocked full bodied crow plus net, 3 poles, ammo and gun. Sat on bergan so didn't take a chair. Just 2 hours later walking back to car with same plus 4 dead crow and 2 pigeon. Had to up the morphine to keep the pain back today🤐

what about crow rags from bin bags,also what about gun,im ditching 12g in favour of my 20g much lighter also carts i use 20 cart belt holds 36 surprising all these little bits make all the difference,i too am feeling the effects wwith plastic leg an arther in all the joints.

As tightchoke shows black correx work. But be careful you don’t leave the metal stakes behind. When you have shot your crows cut the wings off and put them in a plastic bag and freeze them for next time your going to decoy. Very light to carry. When you get to your spot  Pin them together using wooden skewers . I’ve done this for many years, I also use bamboo skewers as the points  stay sharper. Hope this helps. I have trouble getting around and take as little as possible.

I know how you fell when shooting or fly fishing good for nothing next day I keep saying to myself why but I can’t sit on my asxxxx doing nothing and I love to be outside in a hide or up to my nuts in water with fly rod.

I look like Quasimodo next day doubled up popping pain killers but out again couple days later to suffer it all over again 

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey Steve, don't buy anything, we have it as a scrap item at work and use welding rods for the stakes.

I had a load of Correx given me, and the Proplex is cheap enough to make quite a few. As for the stakes, I only used bamboo skewers as I found two packs in my shed. I also use the solid strand of wire that's usually on fencing. I've got loads of that. :good:

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I would suggest some black correx sheet cut to look like flat crow silhouettes, just about the lightest decoys you will find.

IMG_20190320_152424.jpg

IMG_20190320_152326.jpg

Thanks I'll try that.

1 hour ago, hawkfanz said:

what about crow rags from bin bags,also what about gun,im ditching 12g in favour of my 20g much lighter also carts i use 20 cart belt holds 36 surprising all these little bits make all the difference,i too am feeling the effects wwith plastic leg an arther in all the joints.

I bought a 24 cartridge belt plus 2 loaded and is all I now carry ammo wise.

Although I recently bought a .410 O/U I don't seem able to make a clean kill on crows. More practice needed on pigeon first.

50 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Here's my Correx Crow decoys. I can carry 60 in a carrier bag easily. I use bamboo skewers that slot in the grooves of the Correx. YOu can get a similar material called Proplex, which is a floor protector, from the likes of Wickes etc.

I'll look out for Correx.

41 minutes ago, Gas seal said:

As tightchoke shows black correx work. But be careful you don’t leave the metal stakes behind. When you have shot your crows cut the wings off and put them in a plastic bag and freeze them for next time your going to decoy. Very light to carry. When you get to your spot  Pin them together using wooden skewers . I’ve done this for many years, I also use bamboo skewers as the points  stay sharper. Hope this helps. I have trouble getting around and take as little as possible.

Wish I'd thought of that!

Last couple of weeks I've had some massive beautiful crows, all gone in the farms incinerator along with scabby pigeons and the odd few squirrels/rats.

28 minutes ago, snow white said:

I love to be outside in a hide or up to my nuts in water with fly rod.

I look like Quasimodo next day doubled up popping pain killers but out again couple days later to suffer it all over again 

Yup, that's a handful of me.

Hi Centerpin take care with the bamboo skewers they are very sharp. There is a knack to pushing them through , up, the feathers and skin above the wing bone. Don’t put your hand or fingers behind the wings. I found out the hard way. The correx decoys work well, l made some from house for sale boards . I also use the skewers to prop up the birds again they are very sharp .