what legislation covers railguns

quentyn

Regarding were this would fall within the Firearms Act 1968 it would firstly have to satisify Section 57 (1B):-

In subsection (1)(a), “lethal barrelled weapon” means a barrelled weapon of any description from which a shot, bullet or other missile, with kinetic energy of more than one joule at the muzzle of the weapon, can be discharged. 

If it fufilled this there would be other things to be considered such as barrel length and overall length, which may elevate it into Section 5

The fact it appears it can be fired in full auto mode may also elevate it into Section 5

22 hours ago, guinty1 said:

Regarding were this would fall within the Firearms Act 1968 it would firstly have to satisify Section 57 (1B):-

In subsection (1)(a), “lethal barrelled weapon” means a barrelled weapon of any description from which a shot, bullet or other missile, with kinetic energy of more than one joule at the muzzle of the weapon, can be discharged. 

If it fufilled this there would be other things to be considered such as barrel length and overall length, which may elevate it into Section 5

The fact it appears it can be fired in full auto mode may also elevate it into Section 5

however it doesnt have a barrel .... a rail gun just accelerates a projectile down a rail ( hence railgun) there is no barrel involved - just a line of electromagnets and some huge capacitors

i suspect they may need to update the legislation  

20 hours ago, quentyn said:

however it doesnt have a barrel .... a rail gun just accelerates a projectile down a rail ( hence railgun) there is no barrel involved - just a line of electromagnets and some huge capacitors

i suspect they may need to update the legislation  

The Rail gun in the video has a barrel it is described by the reviewer as having copper coils around it.

Just to mix it up a bit, there has been interest in these in the uk, technically it shoots a hollow arrow over a hollow tube. The arrow is propelled by compressed air just like a pcp, however if you were replace the arrow with an appropriately sized lead ball directly into the tube could it be fired,if so is this now a section 1 air rifle potentially (as it is reported the kinetic energy of this is in excess of 150ftlb).

Edited by guinty1
spelling mistake

3 hours ago, sportsbob said:

The Rail gun in the video has a barrel it is described by the reviewer as having copper coils around it.

i think that the reviewer is just trying to relate it to a firearm as thats his point of reference. As the projectile is a disk it makes no sense mechanically to have a barrel ( and i dont think that they can) - notrmally a railgun machanism is closer to a crossbow flight groove 

36 minutes ago, guinty1 said:

Just to mix it up a bit, there has been interest in these in the uk, technically it shoots a hollow arrow over a hollow tube. The arrow is propelled by compressed air just like a pcp, however if you were replace the arrow with an appropriately sized lead ball directly into the tube could it be fired,if so is this now a section 1 air rifle potentially (as it is reported the kinetic energy of this is in excess of 150ftlb).

the german ones have a pin mounted across the "barrel" so that they cant ever fire a projectile through it ( only an arrow over it)

On 01/10/2021 at 20:14, quentyn said:

i think that the reviewer is just trying to relate it to a firearm as thats his point of reference. As the projectile is a disk it makes no sense mechanically to have a barrel ( and i dont think that they can) - notrmally a railgun machanism is closer to a crossbow flight groove 

Good luck arguing that in court as the one in the video is described as having a barrel.