Firearms licensing in England and Wales - APCC survey

HantsRob

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of utter nonsense.

Nothing will ever come of it in any case.

There is no where left to go with further restrictions. We’ve been legislated to death already. As for monitoring social media - yes I’d be all for that but good luck with that unless you are going to recruit 100’s of additional staff in order to resource it - which again will never happen due that very reason. 

6 hours ago, Scully said:

Full cost recovery has nothing to do with ensuring as much as is practical, the safety of the general public, and that's what licensing is supposed to be about. No price hike of any amount will do that. 

:good:

Lets apply the same rules to cars. 

4 hours ago, CharlieT said:

To be fair, GP's are are only required to state that the applicant does not/has not suffered from specific conditions. They most certainly are not asked to give their opinion.

How would they even know this? Most gp's do not meet most of their patients? Or certainly not a large portion of them. 

We need a common set of rules for all rather than the current post code lottery but these 'Rules' must be established from a basis of fairness and objectivity, cognisent of the lack of control of other dangerous machines such as cars. 

5 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Dave, I believe that is what is due happen soon when "the guidance" becomes statutory.

It can only become statutory by an act of Parliament and I suspect that will not happen.

Totally skewed survey, searching for a result that suits their agenda.

lets start a new survey, let’s ask the general public, as it’s their money  “are crime commissioners required” 

7 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Hampshire is leading the way as a gold standard, for ensuring medical forms are submitted or the application gets binned.

other forces have been doing likewise for a very long time so not sure why you think Hampshire is leading the way.

6 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Oh I am aware it's salacious to make the public demand gun owners pay for everything, and it won't change timescales. My point was that if they offered a 2 tier service, I would pay the extra for an accountable and timely delivery (assuming I submit doctors letter with my application).

It just seems like the PCCs want to charge more money and get a tighter control. What is funny is no-one asks about recovery of costs for Police and associated services when someone has a car crash..... heaven forbid their wallet is touched.

slippery slope to go down, give them unlimited power to set fees then their will be no stopping them,  43 constabularies 43 different fees then the GP’s will want more a lot more when they are asked to monitor your health for five year periods, annual check?  You could see £300 to the police and £400 to the GP would you be so happy then?

the cost has always been shared by the public as it is in the public interest to do so, personally I don’t ask that we need licences at all it’s the government that wants that. Who remembers buying a shotgun certificate from the post office, was society anymore at risk then that today by legally owned firearms? 

no licence system is ever going to stop somebody spontaneously going mad with a firearm, just impossible to achieve.

look at the events at Plymouth the warnings were their but the system just could not prevent it.

Edited by rbrowning2

19 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

It can only become statutory by an act of Parliament and I suspect that will not happen.

But it will.

The Government consultation on statutory guidance ended on 17th September last year and draft statutory guidance has since been updated (23rd August) and published. 

1 minute ago, derbyduck said:

yes 60 years ago when I was 13 yrs old , shot air guns under supper vision before that

No. You bought a gun licence at the post office. The shotgun certificate has always been a police issued document since it was invented in 1968.

I, too, was shooting 60 years ago.

2 hours ago, CharlieT said:

But it will.

The Government consultation on statutory guidance ended on 17th September last year and draft statutory guidance has since been updated (23rd August) and published. 

Statutory guidance - oxymoron 

just publishing it does not make it statutory law that requires primary legislation, a bill that has been agreed by both Houses of Parliament and has been given royal assent by the monarch.

Feel sure the shooting community would know if that had happened.

I have completed the survey but feel it is lacking in a number of questions and there is no opportunity to add your own words/comments.

The “reflect the public’s views” is wide open to the antis and anyone else who wishes to see shooting/gun ownership further restricted.

22 minutes ago, old'un said:

I have completed the survey but feel it is lacking in a number of questions and there is no opportunity to add your own words/comments.

The “reflect the public’s views” is wide open to the antis and anyone else who wishes to see shooting/gun ownership further restricted.

Same here

13 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

Statutory guidance - oxymoron 

just publishing it does not make it statutory law that requires primary legislation, a bill that has been agreed by both Houses of Parliament and has been given royal assent by the monarch.

Feel sure the shooting community would know if that had happened.

As a somewhat thick farmer not versed in such matters, I bow to your more educated knowledge.

However, as FELWG, shooting organisations and the shooting press have been beating the drum about statutory guidance for a couple of years I presumed most shooters would have known about it.

Just for interest..............

The Policing and Crime Act 2017 makes provision for the Home Secretary to issue statutory guidance to the police on their firearms licensing functions. The police will have a duty to have regard to the guidance when they exercise their firearms licensing functions.