WalkedUp

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Wrong, so the price of goods go up a bit, the offset from wage increases will offset that substantially. It's simple capitalism market forces. 

Well I work for a company that sells Revenue Management software applications - (or more normally referred to as Pricing tools) and advise the world's largest enterprises on a daily basis, week in, week out.   I fully, 100% understand how this works.

A question for you now:

What's the purpose of the CEO in a company and how does it effect what you wrote above?

6 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Well I work for a company that sells Revenue Management software applications - (or more normally referred to as Pricing tools) and advise the world's largest enterprises on a daily basis, week in, week out.   I fully, 100% understand how this works.

A question for you now:

What's the purpose of the CEO in a company and how does it effect what you wrote above?

I really don't need a business lesson from you thanks 😂

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

Covid is the perfect cover for Brexit. No need to blame yourself for the choice you made since there is a pandemic to blame everything on.

/Markus 

Maybe because Covid or more importantly the lockdowns, have done far more damage. Worldwide not just in the UK.

That's not to mention IR35.

Brexit pales into insignificance, when these are taken into account.

And then there's this -

Edited by Newbie to this

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

Covid is the perfect cover for Brexit. No need to blame yourself for the choice you made since there is a pandemic to blame everything on.

/Markus 

Think you need to get a grip. 

Where's the ww3? Where's the economic doom, you know, the worst one we'd ever see? Where's the house prices falling by half? Where's the promise of no trade deals? Where's the bare shelfs in the supermarket? Where's the mass unemployment? Where's the UK "brain drain"? 

I could go on for pages with the ridiculous claims made before we voted out? 

You really need to get over it! 

There were some wild claims about the risks of leaving the EU.

However from your list:

1) The US turned Boris down for a trade deal - maybe you missed it?  Without the trade deal the US can use tariffs to make UK products uncompetitive if they wish:

Why the UK’s ambitious plans for a trade deal with the US have been shelved  

2) There are empty shelves in the supermarkets - some are due to driver shortages and others where continental suppliers just don't want the hassle of dealing with the UK.

3) The economy is in an interesting state with the effects of Covid not yet fully realised, with a million or so unfortunate people facing the end of furlough and probably no sustainable job to return to. We won't see the economic effects until Q1 of 2022.

38 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Where's the ww3? Where's the economic doom, you know, the worst one we'd ever see? Where's the house prices falling by half? Where's the promise of no trade deals? Where's the bare shelfs in the supermarket? Where's the mass unemployment? Where's the UK "brain drain"? 

We could all go on about ridiculous claims but we don't we deal with the realities. 

It's happening all around you drip by drip. 

🐖 🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖 :lol:

Fingers crossed we get that deal with India soon. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

We could all go on about ridiculous claims but we don't we deal with the realities. 

It's happening all around you drip by drip. 

🐖 🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖 :lol:

Fingers crossed we get that deal with India soon. 

Your laughing, but not at the ludicrous things promised if we left, absolutely hilarious stuff. 

What exactly has happened that's so bad since we left? I'll do some laughing while I wait 🤣🤣🤣

36 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Your laughing, but not at the ludicrous things promised if we left, absolutely hilarious stuff. 

What exactly has happened that's so bad since we left? I'll do some laughing while I wait 🤣🤣🤣

Laughing at the latest news re the pig slaughter. :lol:

19 minutes ago, oowee said:

Laughing at the latest news re the pig slaughter. 

I'm not sure I'd be laughing at a farmers plight, however it just shows how many peoples wages have been artificially supprresed for many years due to immigration and free movement. Like I've said, all these teething problems are excellent news for hard working British people. 

If you don't mind me asking, I bet you are or were a higher earner? For people on minimum wage, earning £10 an hour due to foreign labour, it really is no joke. 

A few facts regarding the availability of veterinary surgeons.

There were 5 vet schools in the UK plus 1 or 2 in Dublin. These colleges , in conjunction with those of Commonwealth countries, were able to provide sufficient graduates to meet the needs of replacements to the industry.

Some years ago, in a review on education funding cutbacks, there was a drive to close either one or two of the UK colleges on the grounds of oversupply of graduates. At this period some EU , notably Italy, was churning out/overproducing  graduates, many of whom could not find positions "in practice" and thereafter the UK started to see an influx of non-UK/Commonwealth graduates. One reason for the shortfall in the home product was to an extent due to undue preponderance of females undertaking the veterinary medicine programme, with the inevitable result of ....well you know where this is going.

With the explosion in demand for graduates by all practice types but particularly small animal practices ( fuelled by socio-economic factors?) the UK graduate shortage could not supply the demand - despite a reversal of the policy to close two colleges, and actually increasing the number of entrants to UK colleges. Needless to say the demand was met by an influx of foreign graduates in all branches of veterinary practice, notably in meat inspection in the slaughter industry, as well as all other types of practice. Add to this the changes in working hours and conditions, as well as the corporate sector buying up vet practices you may well now see the results to the client regarding costs and availability. This pretty much mirrors what has been happening in the manning of NHS with overseas personnel.

"Everything Changes".   (some may say "for better" and others may say "for worse" ).

All this despite the opening of two new veterinary colleges , making seven in UK.

Edited by harkom

1 hour ago, Cosmicblue said:

There were some wild claims about the risks of leaving the EU.

However from your list:

1) The US turned Boris down for a trade deal - maybe you missed it?  Without the trade deal the US can use tariffs to make UK products uncompetitive if they wish:

Why the UK’s ambitious plans for a trade deal with the US have been shelved  

2) There are empty shelves in the supermarkets - some are due to driver shortages and others where continental suppliers just don't want the hassle of dealing with the UK.

3) The economy is in an interesting state with the effects of Covid not yet fully realised, with a million or so unfortunate people facing the end of furlough and probably no sustainable job to return to. We won't see the economic effects until Q1 of 2022.

Missed this. Yep, due to Teresa disMay and the other remainiacs blocking brexit we missed trump who would undoubtedly done us a very good trade deal, with Biden at the helm, that isn't going to happen, but if trump gets back in, watch this space. 

However, what you've highlighted is yet more consequences from the remainiacs sabotaging the UK's interests

14 minutes ago, harkom said:

A few facts regarding the availability of veterinary surgeons.

There were 5 vet schools in the UK plus 1 or 2 in Dublin. These colleges , in conjunction with those of Commonwealth countries, were able to provide sufficient graduates to meet the needs of replacements to the industry.

Some years ago, in a review on education funding cutbacks, there was a drive to close either one or two of the UK colleges on the grounds of oversupply of graduates. At this period some EU , notably Italy, was churning out/overproducing  graduates, many of whom could not find positions "in practice" and thereafter the UK started to see an influx of non-UK/Commonwealth graduates. One reason for the shortfall in the home product was to an extent due to undue preponderance of females undertaking the veterinary medicine programme, with the inevitable result of ....well you know where this is going.

With the explosion in demand for graduates by all practice types but particularly small animal practices ( fuelled by socio-economic factors?) the UK graduate shortage could not supply the demand - despite a reversal of the policy to close two colleges, and actually increasing the number of entrants to UK colleges. Needless to say the demand was met by an influx of foreign graduates in all branches of veterinary practice, notably in meat inspection in the slaughter industry, as well as all other types of practice. Add to this the changes in working hours and conditions, as well as the corporate sector buying up vet practices you may well now see the results to the client regarding costs and availability. This pretty much mirrors what has been happening in the manning of NHS with overseas personnel.

"Everything Changes".   (some may say "for better" and others may say "for worse" ).

All this despite the opening of two new veterinary colleges , making seven in UK.

Interesting thanks for that. 

I think it goes to show, the number of sectors where the UK has relied on filling employment shortages using foreign labour, as it was good for big business, but very bad for ordinary workers. Hopefully Brexit will be an opportunity to put some power back into employees hands who have a good work ethic, but have been underpaid or priced out of jobs for years. 

4 hours ago, Nuke said:

/Markus 

You could also flip that on its head and say Brexit is the perfect scapegoat for Covid! ;)

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I consider what I am told, but I never accept it unchallenged to be true.

Odd really, if your staff are leaving surely you ask why and then like yourself form an opinion? 

"I'm leaving and going back to *******" "Are you? Oh my I suppose it's because of Brexit!" 🙄

7 hours ago, henry d said:

Odd really, if your staff are leaving surely you ask why and then like yourself form an opinion? 

"I'm leaving and going back to *******" "Are you? Oh my I suppose it's because of Brexit!" 🙄

Yes that may well be, but I am also aware that various business failings occur and can be blamed on any issue. I’m not saying it isn’t BREXIT, I am asking what the overall situation situation is and thus how likely is the vet’s response to be accurate. From some of the replies here it seems more likely than not to be a contributing factor but without coincident occurrence or a RCVS review I am still undecided of its veracity as sole cause. 

Edited by WalkedUp

13 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

We will see what happens but I guess you will always find somebody else to blame but yourself, since it's the british way to ignore what is bothering you and move on like nothing has happened it's no real suprise.

/M

Edited by Nuke

54 minutes ago, Nuke said:

We will see what happens but I guess you will always find somebody else to blame but yourself, since it's the british way to ignore what is bothering you and move on like nothing has happened it's no real suprise.

/M

What exactly has happened that is so bad that I should blame myself for? 

On 30/09/2021 at 22:39, armsid said:

Have we not trained any vets here

I live about 5 minutes from one of the largest vet uni sites in the country, and there are plenty of students... So in short no we are not short, but have to blame something, we are after all British, it's what we do best.

Edited by ShootingEgg

6 hours ago, Nuke said:

We will see what happens

Youve been saying similar to that for about 3 years now, and we are still waiting ...

The simple answer is nothing much has happened, beside nearly 6 million residency applications for the estimated 3 million EU citizens living and working here, but thats another story.

6 hours ago, Nuke said:

but I guess you will always find somebody else to blame but yourself, since it's the british way to ignore what is bothering you and move on like nothing has happened it's no real suprise.

That sounds like a dig ?
Are you being Britishist ? We'll not have that talk here 😄