Shooting times and country magazine - the average gun article

Mayoman

Evening all, 

I’ve just finished reading an article in this weeks edition of Shooting Times which discussed what the average shooter is likely to be like and is based on a survey supported by BASC.  It was quite an interesting read, but I was puzzled by a comment near the end which referred to “London Guns as being the most loathed” - Perhaps I’ve had a sheltered shooting life but I’ve never seen or experienced any ribbing/banter or worse of London Guns… so my question is, is there really some kind of divide within the shooting community ?

19 minutes ago, Mayoman said:

Evening all, 

I’ve just finished reading an article in this weeks edition of Shooting Times which discussed what the average shooter is likely to be like and is based on a survey supported by BASC.  It was quite an interesting read, but I was puzzled by a comment near the end which referred to “London Guns as being the most loathed” - Perhaps I’ve had a sheltered shooting life but I’ve never seen or experienced any ribbing/banter or worse of London Guns… so my question is, is there really some kind of divide within the shooting community ?

No nor me interested to have that one expanded.maybe a typo should have been loved ?

9 hours ago, Mayoman said:

Evening all, 

Read through as many posts as you can on here and you’ll have your answer. 🙂

10 hours ago, Mayoman said:

Evening all, 

Literary bias / poor editing sometimes produces shabby articles. I find they often do this sort of thing - I’ve stopped buying this magazine now.

(Although I sometimes have a quick skim through in the supermarket - because I’m a cheapskate🙂)

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, do you mean the gun or person using it ?

I took it to mean people from London who shoot (?!) - as it was about the average shooter etc..

5 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Literary bias / poor editing sometimes produces shabby articles. I find they often do this sort of thing - I’ve stopped buying this magazine now.

(Although I sometimes have a quick skim through in the supermarket - because I’m a cheapskate🙂)

I took it to mean people from London who shoot (?!) - as it was about the average shooter etc..

Hello, they will always be an element of people in London who shoot , own top London made shotguns and go on very expensive shooting days, over 50 years I have met a few , some where realy nice people others well say no more, going back the same time just owning a London best was most for the very rich, I was offered a Purdey side lock for £5,000 some years back , declined as I prefered my cheap side by side, 

It’s not a good policy to stereotype people from area’s or for what they have 

london is where the money is the financial hub of the country people that make it spend it as they choose and to be honest they usually only work there owning the estates and grouse moors about the country that we are privileged to be able to shoot on ( if we have saved up enough) as for the London made gun it sets the standard for the other makes although it seems to me that it’s only the old money that seems to use them on a day most shoot modern guns that are available to all 

all the best 

OF

56 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

It’s not a good policy to stereotype people from area’s or for what they have 

london is where the money is the financial hub of the country people that make it spend it as they choose and to be honest they usually only work there owning the estates and grouse moors about the country that we are privileged to be able to shoot on ( if we have saved up enough) as for the London made gun it sets the standard for the other makes although it seems to me that it’s only the old money that seems to use them on a day most shoot modern guns that are available to all 

all the best 

OF

After many years loading on a large commercial shoot which catered, mostly, for the London based and international shooters I have to agree 100% with OF.
The London shots were as varied as any group of shooting folk from anywhere, and should not be stereotyped.

1 minute ago, Townie said:

I've read the piece and it says 'London-dwelling Gun', which is clear. And I'm disturbed to find that I'm much the same as everybody else, apparently.

S T obviously don’t want people from London - or who have relatives / friends there - to buy their magazine. 

I work in the city in London and most of the guys that shoot are like me, on a little diy shoot or buying an occasional day here and there, whereas most of the Hooray Henry types that i'm assuming this article refers to come from Fulham, Chelsea, Clapham and Balham, but they ALL, to a man, come from country money and go home at weekends and holidays, to the family seat in Dorset, Devon or Hampshire

On 01/10/2021 at 08:47, Fellside said:

Yep, as in Gun.

12 hours ago, Fellside said:

Yes thanks - I was up to speed with that. I think some other folks thought it meant gun as in firearm. 

Anyhow, a low piece of literature - I think we can all agree. 

Yep, again. What I don't understand is that this publication (possibly sharing with others from the same 'stable') will have a system in place enabling them to understand their target readership's literary requirements and consequently I can only assume that said targets are the bored patients in the dentists'/doctors' waiting rooms with a preference for something penned at least 2 years ago.

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

Yep, again. What I don't understand is that this publication (possibly sharing with others from the same 'stable') will have a system in place enabling them to understand their target readership's literary requirements and consequently I can only assume that said targets are the bored patients in the dentists'/doctors' waiting rooms with a preference for something penned at least 2 years ago.

👍

• 2 weeks later...