Help I.d a aya

Stephen-H

13 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

A side view of the action would help decide if it's a No3 or a Yeoman.

Didnt get chance to grab a picture but the action was rather plain with just AYA ARGUIRE Y ARANZABAL which I presume is the region of spain the factory was based?

13 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Email aya serial number they should send u information on the gun 👍

Thank you will check it out 

12 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Number 4 is an ejector.number 3 a non ejector.both have concave ribs as standard but can/could be ordered with another type.yeoman had flat raised rib and could be ejector or non ejector.

Thanks for the reply it's a non ejector model 

38 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Didnt get chance to grab a picture but the action was rather plain with just AYA ARGUIRE Y ARANZABAL which I presume is the region of spain the factory was based?

Yeoman here... https://www.cfsporting.co.uk/userfiles/product_image/60926d3d04dc9-aya-yeoman-0.jpg

No 3 here... https://www.drivensporting.co.uk/images/shotguns/large/100213_1.jpg

The thing to notice is the way the lockwork is kept in place with what you might call screws or pins etc.. On the Yeoman it's like a traditional low cost British boxlock. A look I prefer as it is neat and simple. On the No 3 the first thing to notice is "there's a lot of slotted screw heads to be see there!" So on the Yeoman you'd need a punch to remove the lockwork on a No 3 you'll need a turnscrew.

Edited by enfieldspares

49 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yeoman here... https://www.cfsporting.co.uk/userfiles/product_image/60926d3d04dc9-aya-yeoman-0.jpg

No 3 here... https://www.drivensporting.co.uk/images/shotguns/large/100213_1.jpg

The thing to notice is the way the lockwork is kept in place with what you might call screws or pins etc.. On the Yeoman it's like a traditional low cost British boxlock. A look I prefer as it is neat and simple. On the No 3 the first thing to notice is "there's a lot of slotted screw heads to be see there!" So on the Yeoman you'd need a punch to remove the lockwork on a No 3 you'll need a turnscrew.

Thank you this has cleared it up rather well its yeoman! 

2 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

AYA ARGUIRE Y ARANZABAL

AyA is short for Aguirre Y Aranzabal.  From ASI (AyA's UK importer's) website

"The initials AYA stand for ‘Aguirre y Aranzabal’, with the ‘y’ meaning ‘and’ in Spanish, named after the founders of the company, Miguel Aguirre and Nicolas Aranzabal back in 1917."

They are made in Eibar in the Basque region of Spain.  There was (at least until quite recently) still a member of the Aranzabal family involved.

1 hour ago, fandango said:

If that’s the fore end on the table in the second photo…. then it’s not a number 3 as these didn’t have the pushrod catch as far as I am aware, No 3 has the lever type catch 

Well, the No. 3  20 bore I had certainly had a push rod and I have never seen a No. 3 without one.

Just now, London Best said:

Well, the No. 3  20 bore I had certainly had a push rod and I have never seen a No. 3 without one.

Yes, all s/s AyAs I have known from Yeoman to Senior have all used Anson type pushrods.  The O/U models I don't know well, but the O/U Yeoman and range topping Merkel copy (Models 37 and Augusta) do seem to use a (Deeley type or similar looking) catch.  Not sure about the other O/U models.

Just now, London Best said:

Thanks John. My son in law has a Yeoman O/U. When he bought it I was unaware that a Yeoman O/U even existed!  I have fired it a few times but am so disinterested in it that I honestly could not say what fore end fastening it has.

I cheated and went and looked at a few pics on line!   I do know that the Model 37 is a near identical copy of the Merkel 303E. 

Augusta is similar, but (I think) does away with the Kerstens and uses the twin under bolts only, whereas Model 37 uses both twin under bolts and twin Kerstens (as Merkel 303E). 

Interestingly, Merkel do a (slightly cheaper) version (203E) with the twin Kerstens only and rather less complex ejectors ........ but I don't think do a model with the twin underbolts only!