New Gov't advice for women

ditchman

"if you are approached by a loan policeman ...wave down a bus........."

i must remember that one....we have one bus a week here ...9 o'clock pickup for shopping in Wroxham...get back here 3 o'clock...then thats it for the week

who thinks these wonderful solutions up.........what an utter muppet

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i must remember that one....we have one bus a week here ...9 o'clock pickup for shopping in Wroxham...get back here 3 o'clock...then thats it for the week

The police statement shows the total lack of grip and understanding of a problem . That's why members of the public get Into situations where the police are heavy handed which has led to unfortunate consequences. Then the situation is whitewashed and swept under the carpet.  And this has been repeated too many times. The good work of the many undermined by a few. Oh and a corrupt system. 

Edited by Minky

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Is the policeman on loan from somewhere else. 🤷‍♀️ 

1 minute ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Is the policeman on loan from somewhere else. 🤷‍♀️ 

you jest yvonne........about 10 years ago i was woken up by the sound of my gate breaking.....go out there with loaded gun...to find a note on the gate from the Met police saying they will pay for the damage....apparantley 2 police guys from essex had been sent to cantley to pick up a criminal.............trouble is it was the wrong cantley...should have been in yorkshire not norfolk.....couldnt make it up could you

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

The only buses we have locally are school buses, which stop running after 4.30pm. 🤷‍♂️

48 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you jest yvonne........about 10 years ago i was woken up by the sound of my gate breaking.....go out there with loaded gun...to find a note on the gate from the Met police saying they will pay for the damage....apparantley 2 police guys from essex had been sent to cantley to pick up a criminal.............trouble is it was the wrong cantley...should have been in yorkshire not norfolk.....couldnt make it up could you

Its the difference between lone and loan. One is a single and one is borrowed. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Carry a phone and be ready to use it. Avoid being out late at night on their own. I can hear the howls and "what about day time" etc, but do I hear better.

A phone really wouldn't do much and can give a false sense of security,  but is better than nothing. 

Not being on there own has always been the advice,  think where you are and how you are getting home.

38 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Carry a phone and be ready to use it. Avoid being out late at night on their own. I can hear the howls and "what about day time" etc, but do I hear better.

Advocating to make women lose abilities taken for granted by men is hardly the way to go about equality.

Recruiting better candidates and training them better would go a lot further to keeping women safe from cops than telling the women to stay at home. My partner's in the force and the attitude towards women of a lot of the male officers is pretty shocking. The Met might talk about how the force has moved on, but the culture within it is still very much as it was three four decades ago.

52 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Advocating to make women lose abilities taken for granted by men is hardly the way to go about equality.

It's not though really,  it's about being safe.

I've staggered home many a time without a care in the world, I could have been jumped and mugged, but I've never lived in that sort of area, plus I'm a bloke, I'm far from small so not an easy target. 

An average bloke will nearly always be able to over power a woman,  if the woman is also drunk and the bloke is looking to mug or worse then a woman on her own is a far easier target than two together. 

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

It's not though really,  it's about being safe.

I've staggered home many a time without a care in the world, I could have been jumped and mugged, but I've never lived in that sort of area, plus I'm a bloke, I'm far from small so not an easy target. 

An average bloke will nearly always be able to over power a woman,  if the woman is also drunk and the bloke is looking to mug or worse then a woman on her own is a far easier target than two together. 

But it's not just about the late night pub or club session though. Sarah Everard was stopped by Couzens at 9:30pm, so it's hardly stumbling around a backstreet at 1am. Recommending not walking home alone plays into a much bigger picture - particularly in winter. It's dark by 5pm so any walk home from work is inevitably after dark when it all gets dangerous, even if the streets are busier. It's not fair to suggest a woman has a chaperone just to walk home from work. Plus what do you do about bar staff or NHS staff who have to work late? How many women take bar or restaurant jobs in the evening  because they have other jobs or college during the day? Should they need to organise someone to walk them home, or simply not take the job that would  require it? So employment options become limited. A taxi to the door is a perfectly sensible option at 1am after a clubbing night, but a taxi after every shift at work will hammer an income and if they're working bars and restaurants, that's money that could probably be used elsewhere. Not living in that sort of area is a nice thing to have, but again it's not an economical reality for thousands of women, so they can't move to a safer area. 

Of course personal safety is massively important, but a 'better safe than sorry' approach risks denying women basic and easy opportunities that are available to men for whom the same caution is not expected. It's an insidious problem that winds itself into far more areas than just stopping a good night out becoming a bad night out. 

Women shouldn’t have to worry about being alone or what time if day it is, full stop………

The bigger picture, is that’s it’s not just this incident with the Police, it’s the daily incidents from men that they have to endure in Public whilst going about their own business…

Whats wrong with us blokes, that some feel the need to harass?

I live in a nice area, but I wouldn't go walking about the village late at night on my own.

I used to go night fishing on the beach with my late husband and to isolated lakes, but now I am on my own I can't risk it.

Its not just men who are a hazard now. There are some yobbish teenage girls about who are a hazard too.

Now I have the worry of dog thieves when I walk the dogs too. 

9 hours ago, henry d said:

So, what does the panel think that women should do?

40 years ago i used to wander down to the city centre to walk my mrs back from Spencers nightclub where she worked as cocktail waitress...we used to walk back window shopping and taking our time ...no problem...........i can tell you now ..there is no way i would do that now....just too risky...it would be a taxi

i think the answer would be

1. more police on the beat
  2. and eye watering sentances that would quickly be handed out
  3. arrest and overnight detention for loitering

trouble is the court of human rights would knock 2 and 3 into touch

what would be your suggestion Henry D ?