The PX Lottery

B&W FOX

I decided to change my gun. I purchased it new 19 years ago and it fitted like a dream, but unfortunately for the gun I've changed shape, shrunk, more rounded, less flexible etc. so it had to go as its a bit slack on the fitting side after 19 years of hammering it !!!

I knew which new gun I wanted as I had tried one  previously at the importers and they put it aside for me. I've got 4 LOCAL dealers that retail this particular make, so I toted around my oldie to sort out a value for a PX for the new love of my life.

Well that was where the fun started, three of the dealers said if they were to take in my gun they would HAVE to send it off for a super steel re-proof as that is what everyone wants these days, and because of this I would have to take a kick in the nuts price wise, even though its only 19 years old and perfectly capable of handling steel shot.

The offer price  I excepted from a very knowledgeable dealer who didn't care that it wasn't super steel proofed, to the lowest dealer offer was an eye watering £700 difference. Dealer number three offered me a figure that was still £400 below the sum I accepted.

The dealer who has taken it in will make a couple of hundred pounds on it when he sells it on, and he will also make a bit on the new gun I'm buying from him at the full recommended retail price, so he's happy, I'm also pleased  with the deal.

Due to the fact all the four dealers are local to me, three of them have shot themselves in the foot for their greed in using the steel shot saga as a way of trying to give a seller / buyer a swift kick in the nuts.

What goes around comes around.

1 hour ago, Graham M said:

When I took in a very nice S/S to PX for a brand new Beretta I was told that he wouldn't be able to sell it as no-one wanted S/S's any more. He did offer to take it off my hands though........................for nothing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Really makes you want to return to that dealer in the future. 

How many Beretta dealers out there ?

Mate was told at Malmö they weren’t interested in his gun as PX if it wasn’t steel shot proofed. Fortunately it was.  However, they will quite happily sell you a non steel shot proofed gun. I’m assuming their policy means they will then refuse to PX it at a later date if the owner should want to upgrade? 🙂

I’ve spent a lot of money at Malmö in the past, but won’t be spending anymore while they’re of that mindset. Buyers choice. 

The trouble is you can go to one shop and get a great deal, but the next time you go it's the opposite. 

I don't think it's useful to fall out with any gun shop over the value of a p/x.  Just don't trade the gun there, politely decline and walk out. 

I was once in a gun shop and a chap came in looking to sell or p/x an air rifle.  I was browsing guns at the time but was close enough to here most the conversation.  The assistant offered him fifty quid which the guy obviously though was a stupidly low offer. 

He grabbed the air rifle, stuffed it back in the sleeve, turned without saying a word and briskly made for the door.  When he got to it, he turned around and glared at the assistant who then promptly buzzed him out.  

On 01/10/2021 at 23:02, Gordon R said:

Got to agree. In the North West, I have been to trade in a gun at Bond and Bywater, McAvoys, Bamfords, Kelbrook and Malmo.

Malmo is the only one I would return to.

malmo is definitely a great shop with a very good selection of guns, but to my surprise kelbrook gave the best part px by far, McAvoys didn't have the gun i wanted so didn't get a quote from them

Guest cookoff013

Another shop got offered £50 for my shotgun once, they could do a deal on a px for something. Palming the £50 in my hand.

I sold it for £920, 2yr old beretta later that week. 

numptys.

I took an aya to a  dealer in px for another gun, rather snotty he said I need to check the ejectors so he put some  snap  caps in and pulled the triggers when he broke the gun the snap caps came out with force and hit him in both eyes, are they alright I asked yes he said now rubbing his swelling eyes. 

To his credit l did get a good deal.